Fall 2015 Applicants

no word from stanford MLT I suppose.... :unsure: although THAT only has like 2 places.........

SAME. So same. I just want to know. I've had enough shock bombs (academic and otherwise) for a lifetime this week. 

I don't know if it's all the anxiety in the last two weeks, but I've been having trouble keeping a normal and productive rhythm to my days. I don't have any real obligations right now, and I thought I'd get some fun reading done, travel, and clean the apartment but I usually find myself sleeping and waking at odd hours and leaving the house only to meet people. My house remains a pit...and I'm incredibly exhausted even though I'm trying to do good by eating well and exercising regularly. Any tips anyone has on snapping out of this slothful state would be appreciated...

I don't know if it's all the anxiety in the last two weeks, but I've been having trouble keeping a normal and productive rhythm to my days. I don't have any real obligations right now, and I thought I'd get some fun reading done, travel, and clean the apartment but I usually find myself sleeping and waking at odd hours and leaving the house only to meet people. My house remains a pit...and I'm incredibly exhausted even though I'm trying to do good by eating well and exercising regularly. Any tips anyone has on snapping out of this slothful state would be appreciated...

Time for the neighborhood bimbo to chime in. If you're into that sort of thing, getting a good manicure can be very theraputic. Also, shopping :ph34r: :ph34r: I'm afraid to say I've bought an inordinate number of things........

Time for the neighborhood bimbo to chime in. If you're into that sort of thing, getting a good manicure can be very theraputic. Also, shopping :ph34r: :ph34r: I'm afraid to say I've bought an inordinate number of things........

Am doing all of the above. Would you believe it if I told you I have lost the appetite for shopping?! Absolutely terrible but true...

Am doing all of the above. Would you believe it if I told you I have lost the appetite for shopping?! Absolutely terrible but true...

I find doing my nails ultra therapeutic. Also I took up knitting and it's a huge help for stress and anxiety.

It's funny, we're obviously intellectuals if we're applying to PhD programs, but it can't be denied how great it is to do something with one's hands.

I find, and I think the suggestions already posted are along these same lines, that the best way to distract from something like this is, in the words of the great Donna Meagle and Tom Haverford, to "treat yo'self." There's much to be said for eating right, exercising, and staying generally healthy - this is how you stay sane long term. But with such a high pressure, high stress experience like this, a little self-love can go a long way. 

I find, and I think the suggestions already posted are along these same lines, that the best way to distract from something like this is, in the words of the great Donna Meagle and Tom Haverford, to "treat yo'self." There's much to be said for eating right, exercising, and staying generally healthy - this is how you stay sane long term. But with such a high pressure, high stress experience like this, a little self-love can go a long way. 

I'm about one rejection away from diving into a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

Then again, I'm also one acceptance away from diving into a pint of Ben & Jerry's, so it all balances out.

Also I took up knitting and it's a huge help for stress and anxiety.

It's funny, we're obviously intellectuals if we're applying to PhD programs, but it can't be denied how great it is to do something with one's hands.

I took up knitting in the middle of the application stress phase. It was great to be able to having something to do with my hands while I thought through my SOP/WS or whatever. It's been a real mind-saver during this waiting period too.

I'm about one rejection away from diving into a pint of Ben & Jerry's.

Then again, I'm also one acceptance away from diving into a pint of Ben & Jerry's, so it all balances out.

I've started doing this thing where I have a giant (like, seriously, ridiculously huge) plate of chicken wings whenever I hear a decision from a school, whether it's good or bad news. By now it's totemic.

I got a new productivity app for my phone (for those with smart phones) and it has been a miracle. It's 30/30, and you can set your schedule for all day (I make sure to include lots of breaks. I was in a funk and then started using it and have actually been able to get back into a semi-regular routine. I sound like an advertising service, but sometimes it's about finding what works for you for breaking back into that routine too.

So...Penn State applicants. How are we interpreting the results so far? A couple of Ph.D. and a few M.A. offers are up on the results board, but in past years they've been pretty sketchy and sporadic about acceptances (and downright horrid about reporting rejections). Are we treating the lack of results as "implied" rejections, or is it just too soon to tell?

So...Penn State applicants. How are we interpreting the results so far? A couple of Ph.D. and a few M.A. offers are up on the results board, but in past years they've been pretty sketchy and sporadic about acceptances (and downright horrid about reporting rejections). Are we treating the lack of results as "implied" rejections, or is it just too soon to tell?

Based on talk around town I'd say too soon. That being said, I'm traveling to Canada the second week of March and, given PSU's history of non-notification, I'm planning to email them if I haven't heard by the time I get back.

If you're an obsessive type (and hey, it's likely, given where we are and what we're talking about), I have to recommend trying pepakura. It's a weird combination of meticulous and mindless that really has helped my unproductive reloading and worrying while I'm waiting. Plus it's super cheap, since we all just spent something like $1000 on applications. $6 in 110 lb. cardstock, $2 for an Xacto (if you don't have one), and a buck or two for some glue. 

Thanks everyone for your "how to get out of a funk" suggestions!

Hannalore, your suggestion was the best. I'd put myself in ultra savings mode---I have two international trips coming up next month, and with trying to plan for an international move with all of my glorious things in the summer to wherever I end up, I'd been penny pinching, minus the splurge of starting yoga classes at a new studio. I had a wonderful sashimi dinner yesterday and marveled at how just that one little treat changed my entire evening---I ended up cleaning the apartment a bit, even! I woke up to a day of responding to emails. :)

Does anyone else feel like they applied to the schools that take forever and a day to decide? I have two implied rejecctions, and I know OSU and PSU are still a bit in flux, but eight of the programs I applied to haven't contacted any applicants.

*sigh*

Anyone know anything about OSU? I know they sent out some acceptances but wondering if they're done yet?

I think fellowship results came out yesterday or today for those who got admitted/nominated. So, there may be some more acceptances coming out, but I'm personally not counting on it... (though I would *love* a wait list)