Waitlist Thread

Zukunftsmusik

I've only visited Austin once and it was brief (under a day). How is public transportation there? 

UT has its own bus system that's fairly extensive and free of charge. The Capital Metro bus system is pretty good. Traffic is pretty bad, so its a little slow, but it's affordable compared to a lot of other places I've lived. They're trying to get a light rail system started, too. I don't know how long that will take to get up and running, though. Also, Austin is very bicycle friendly. Lots and lots and lots of people use bicycles in Austin.

Perhaps we should have a dedicated thread for people to post offers they have declined.

How does that help us? It only gives false hope and utterly incomplete information.

I guess I'll be downvoted for this, but that thread is no help.

How does that help us? It only gives false hope and utterly incomplete information.

I guess I'll be downvoted for this, but that thread is no help.

If Bob is wait listed at a school X, and Jane posts on TGC that she has declined an offer at X, then that gives Bob not false hope, not "utterly incomplete information", but rather *some* useful information and *some* legitimate hope.

But I do, of course, agree that Bob shouldn't immediately assume he has 100% complete information now, or that he should be 100% confident that he will get an offer from X. Almost no one on this forum would do that, though. 

Has anyone waitlisted at GSU heard anything yet? I'm anxiously hoping that I'll get off the waitlist soon.

Sadly, judging from the reports from last year, most of us waitlisters will have to wait till near April 15th...

WELCOME TO WAITLIST HELL!

*evil laughter*

Sadly, judging from the reports from last year, most of us waitlisters will have to wait till near April 15th...

WELCOME TO WAITLIST HELL!

*evil laughter*

Definitely. So if one is wait listed at her dream school, say, Harvard, and accepted at a non-PRG ranked school, say, N, should she reasonably wait until April 15 to decide if she will take the offer of admission from school B? Doing this means she would have to bear such ridiculous pain of waiting off the wait list without certainty. It is a ridiculous situation one could find herself in. 

Definitely. So if one is wait listed at her dream school, say, Harvard, and accepted at a non-PRG ranked school, say, N, should she reasonably wait until April 15 to decide if she will take the offer of admission from school B? Doing this means she would have to bear such ridiculous pain of waiting off the wait list without certainty. It is a ridiculous situation one could find herself in. 

I know some schools let you accept and then unaccept no questions asked up until April 15th, so if you/thatpersonyouspeakof are in that situation, it makes sense to accept now and take yourself off if you get off the waitlist. Also, if you get into a school after April 15th, having accepted another offer, you may be able to take it and back off the other offer, but it depends on the school.

I definitely think a thread for declining offers or removing oneself from waitlists is useful. That's actually what I envisioned this thread to evolve into. Sure, I thought it would be useful to have a thread to post and talk about waitlists, but a non-negligible part of that is information relevant to waitlist movement. I'm not sure I see the benefit to having a separate thread for declined offers. Wouldn't it be easier/more convenient/less redundant to post that stuff in here where us waitlistees are already nervously checking for news? I'd rather keep checking this thread, wading through its tangential conversations, than check two threads, wading through more tangential conversations.

On the topic of declining, has anybody had difficulty communicating their declension to a school? I emailed the ASU graduate advisor very soon after being admitted in order to decline, but didn't hear back. A week later I get a generic "Welcome to ASU!" email, so I'm not confident they are aware I've declined. Should just email them again...?

On the topic of declining, has anybody had difficulty communicating their declension to a school? I emailed the ASU graduate advisor very soon after being admitted in order to decline, but didn't hear back. A week later I get a generic "Welcome to ASU!" email, so I'm not confident they are aware I've declined. Should just email them again...?

Yeah, I would send another email to confirm that they know. Even if the department knows you're declining, it could still take awhile for it to be processed by the graduate school, which would explain why you're still getting generic emails.

After the visit? How did that go?

The visit went really well. I don't think that had anything to do with my status. It's a matter of numbers; when they invite 10 people and only have 5 spots, half of us will not be accepted during the first round. I have a lot of respect for all of the applicants I met during the visit and I don't think I was entitled to be chosen over them.

The director in USC just emailed me that they have admitted one folk off the waitlist and it's not me. No decision has been made regarding the rest of waitlist :(

Sorry to hear that, but surely it's still early days. That was a solicited email, right?