Waitlist Thread

Zukunftsmusik

Update from Wisconsin: "This is an update on the status of your application to the UW-Madison Philosophy grad program for fall 2014. You are in the top 5 on our wait list. We are waiting to hear from roughly 10 people that we have already accepted, and of course, they have until April 15th to tell us their decision. Within your group of five, there is no ranked order. Who we accept from the wait list will depend on various factors such as area of interest in philosophy, so that we can have a well-rounded class."

I got basically the same email, except that mine said '15' where yours said '5.' 

Update from Wisconsin: "This is an update on the status of your application to the UW-Madison Philosophy grad program for fall 2014. You are in the top 5 on our wait list. We are waiting to hear from roughly 10 people that we have already accepted, and of course, they have until April 15th to tell us their decision. Within your group of five, there is no ranked order. Who we accept from the wait list will depend on various factors such as area of interest in philosophy, so that we can have a well-rounded class."

That's dangerous information. If I was in the top 5. And my AOI was logic. I'd find out who in that original 10 was doing logic and... make them a offer they couldn't refuse, if you catch my drift.

Brandeis!

Was Brandeis a phone call or email? If the latter, was it solicited? You're the first to post about Brandeis this year, which is odd since no one has claimed an acceptance (to my knowledge). Not to call into question your post--it's just odd.

Also, for anyone on the GSU waitlist: I probably won't leave the GSU waitlist until around April 15th, if at all. Long-winded explanation below.

My decision is among Georgetown, Tufts, and Georgia State--and perhaps Brandeis if they provide funding. (Even if I get into Vandy, I'll decline.) GSU has good funding and Tufts, not so much. If I get off Georgetown's waitlist, I'm not sure whether I'd choose it, GSU, or Tufts. (I actually just heard from a very reliable source that only three of the seven students at Tufts who applied this year got in anywhere and that no one there got into a top-15 school.) I'd say there's an over-50% chance I decline the GSU offer, but there's a good chance I won't do so until April 15th. I'm visiting Georgetown and GSU in the next couple weeks, so maybe I will decide by April 1st. I'll try. But I may decide to do either GSU or Georgetown, and I may not hear back about Georgetown's waitlist until April 15th. But there's a chance I'll choose GSU over Georgetown--UChicago, Columbia, and Toronto were my top choices.

(I actually just heard from a very reliable source that only three of the seven students at Tufts who applied this year got in anywhere and that no one there got into a top-15 school.)

Wow, get wrecked.

Was Brandeis a phone call or email? If the latter, was it solicited? You're the first to post about Brandeis this year, which is odd since no one has claimed an acceptance (to my knowledge). Not to call into question your post--it's just odd.

Email; solicited. I also slipped them a fiver.

That's dangerous information. If I was in the top 5. And my AOI was logic. I'd find out who in that original 10 was doing logic and... make them a offer they couldn't refuse, if you catch my drift.

Dangerous indeed! If I were in the top 10, I would be sleeping with one eye open!  ;)

Looks like Brandeis is sending out acceptances today--I just got one. Decent funding but they don't have specifics on what TA pay is. And the offer seems like it's worse financially than Tufts's offer. It's very likely I'll decline, but not until I get the actual numbers. I'll email the grad director to get more particulars; hopefully I'll hear back soon. Will post when I do.

Wisconsin-Madison seems to have sent out at least 10 (probably 15)  initial wait lists. Now it narrows down the wait lists to only 5 people, who have received the update email. I was wondering if the other 5 (or 10) have received notifications. Please reply here or feel free to send a PM. Thanks. 

Also, for anyone on the GSU waitlist: I probably won't leave the GSU waitlist until around April 15th, if at all. Long-winded explanation below.

My decision is among Georgetown, Tufts, and Georgia State--and perhaps Brandeis if they provide funding. (Even if I get into Vandy, I'll decline.) GSU has good funding and Tufts, not so much. If I get off Georgetown's waitlist, I'm not sure whether I'd choose it, GSU, or Tufts. (I actually just heard from a very reliable source that only three of the seven students at Tufts who applied this year got in anywhere and that no one there got into a top-15 school.) I'd say there's an over-50% chance I decline the GSU offer, but there's a good chance I won't do so until April 15th. I'm visiting Georgetown and GSU in the next couple weeks, so maybe I will decide by April 1st. I'll try. But I may decide to do either GSU or Georgetown, and I may not hear back about Georgetown's waitlist until April 15th. But there's a chance I'll choose GSU over Georgetown--UChicago, Columbia, and Toronto were my top choices.

So what you're saying is that there's a slightly less than 50% chance that I'll have to find you and kill you to ensure that I move up GSU's waitlist...

Edited by bar_scene_gambler

Wisconsin-Madison seems to have sent out at least 10 (probably 15)  initial wait lists. Now it narrows down the wait lists to only 5 people, who have received the update email. I was wondering if the other 5 (or 10) have received notifications. Please reply here or feel free to send a PM. Thanks. 

We got a mixed bag of top 15 and top 5 waitlists. I dont think they have narrowed it down to 5 because 5 have posted the email here.

Edited by TheVineyard

We got a mixed bag of top 15 and top 5 waitlists. I dont think they have narrowed it down to 5 because 5 have posted the email here.

Thanks, Vineyard. The 15 is a typo, I think. The initial waitlists were 15, so it would be ridiculous if they send out waitlist updates indicating they still have the 15 on the wait list. That would mean they said nothing different from the initial notification of the wait lists. So I believe that the wait list has been narrowed down. Also, someone posted "taken off the waitlist" on the results page. If it is ligit, then he or she must have received an email telling so. Hope that person will claim it in this thread. 

Edited by Platonist

Thanks, Vineyard. The 15 is a typo, I think. The initial waitlists were 15, so it would be ridiculous if they send out waitlist updates indicating they still have the 15 on the wait list. That would mean they said nothing different from the initial notification of the wait lists. So I believe that the wait list has been narrowed down. Also, someone posted "taken off the waitlist" on the results page. If it is ligit, then he or she must have received an email telling so. Hope that person will claim it in this thread. 

If you're referring to my earlier post, then it certainly was not a typo! Wisconsin notified me today that I am in the top 15 on the wait list.