"Perfect fit" Program versus More Highly Ranked Program?

LeoBixby

I am faced with the possibility of having to decide between two PhD programs.  One is the most perfect fit for me that I could possibly find anywhere in the world, while the other is a highly ranked big school, not as great a fit, but pretty much guarantees good teaching gigs upon graduation.  The perfect fit program has a less than stellar placement record, but has the most important thinker around for the particular area I want to research within, and I would be studying right under him.  So, the question ultimately is, big name security versus intellectual heaven and major publishing opportunities, but not so much on the employment security front.

How good of a fit is the higher ranked school? I'm guessing if it wasn't a great fit as well then you wouldn't have had the desire to apply. So are you talking about perfect fit vs 2nd perfect fit or more like the highly ranked school doesn't have any research at all that meshes with your interests.

I'd definitely say visit the campuses and meet some of the professors there, if at all possible.  I've been told as early as my freshman/sophomore days in undergrad that fit is so extremely important, so I tend to lean on the "fit" side when considering schools.

Like others have said, visiting is very helpful! But if you're like me, you can still be stuck between choosing programs. 

The advice I got was to make a decision and immerse yourself in it. Absolutely convince yourself that's what you are doing and live like that was it; start making moving plans, see what rotations you'll do, etc.

After a while, if you have some hesitation or regret, you know it isn't the right choice. Rinse and repeat . . . 

I'm in the same boat. Deciding between top-3 program and top-10. The top 10 is an absolutely ping-pong research fit, but I can't help but wonder if my overall prospects would be better if I went with the higher ranked program (which boasts great location, nice atmosphere, and pretty good research opportunities).

The best advice I got was to do as much research as I could up front, take my time, and once I make a decision, not to waste time looking back (sort of what Bryc said). Easier said than done. Good luck.

I chose perfect fit over good fit with prestige (unranked over two top ranked.) I don't regret it for a second. Talk to people in the program (grad students especially) about how they think your fit issue will effect your ability to do the work you want to do. Also keep in mind that your interests are going to change to a greater or lesser degree when thinking about fit.

This matter is of grave concern to myself too. I am just going to visit everywhere and makes pros and cons for each of the 3 schools I am visiting. They are all great fits, to be honest, but the lowest ranked of them is off Top50 but undoubtedly the best fit. This is going to be very hard.

Last year I was in the same situation. I went for the best-fit school and haven't regretted my decision at all. 

That said, my idea of which school was the best-fit for me dramatically changed after visitations. Don't make a decision too soon!

Also, you've got at least 5 years before you have to worry about employment. Having a well-connected PI in a reputable program is beneficial, but when the day comes, it'll be the work you did and the connections you made in grad school that determine your ability to secure a job.

Depends, I think.

-What's the real difference between these two schools?  I don't think there's much difference between a top 3 and top 10 program in most fields, so I would go to a perfect fit program that's in the top 10 over an okay fit in the top 3 any day.  But if you're comparing an unranked program to a top 10 program, that's a completely different comparison.  It also depends on the field.  Some fields, like English or history, are competitive enough without coming from a program with a bad placement record or a mediocre reputation.  In other fields, like accounting or nursing, a mid-ranked or even unranked program can still get you a decent faculty position because of shortages.

-What does "less than stellar" mean?  That could mean graduates only sometimes get academic jobs but go on to do other interesting non-academic things, or it could mean that one or two graduates end up at East Podunk State College and the rest are baristas.

-I think it's dangerous to go to a program for one scholar in particular.  It's different of it's this one scholar + other interesting scholars that you could work with, but scholars leave, die, quit, run out of money and all kinds of other things.

In general, intellectual heaven is preferable to prestige - prestige doesn't keep you going when it's 2 am and you're exhausted but you have a paper due in the morning.  But you do want to be practical and ensure that you can be employed coming out!

It also depends what field you're applying to. In psychology, research fit trumps rank any day. I didn't even apply to most "top ranked" psychology programs, because no one there was doing the research I wanted to do. Remember, you'll be doing this for the next five years of your life.