Canadian Universities

ajesusj

I'm going to the U of A in the fall. I did my undergrad at UBC and it's beyond beautiful. Wonderful school.

I don't want to be a scaremonger, but those of you heading that way should be aware that BC post-secondary funding is an absolute gong show right now. UBC and SFU are getting cut to ribbons. UBC has been saying that they're not feeling the pain as much as SFU (which lost 30 faculty, 50 staff, and 100 TAships last year) but several weeks ago they sent an e-mail to all their sessionals saying not to count on continued employment. They've had a faculty hiring freeze for a while now, as well.

As an added bonus, all TA unions in BC are going into bargaining right after the 2010 Olympics, and the current government has already said that there will be no new money for labour contracts in 2010, so a TA strike is a definite possibility.

But hell, maybe the government will change in the May election and you won't have to worry about any of it. And of course, it really is an amazing school.

Wow, I had no idea about all that happening at UBC. Makes me glad I got in there with a decent fellowship before I had to start worrying about TAing (which I do still want to do, but the fellowship is a nice cushion). As far as I can tell my department seems to be doing pretty OK ... fingers crossed ...

several weeks ago they sent an e-mail to all their sessionals saying not to count on continued employment.

hmm...I'm a sessional at UBC and I don't remember getting an e-mail like that. I guess a lot of sessionals don't count on continued employment anyway though, especially people like me who are at the bottom of the seniority ladder. I also haven't heard much about potential TA strike, but I remember the last one being pretty nasty. Good luck future UBC TAs!

I'm there mostly for the mountains! (lifetime east-coaster)

If you want to get into the mountains (rather than just looking at them) you might want to check out the VOC (http://www.ubc-voc.com) when you arrive.

hmm...I'm a sessional at UBC and I don't remember getting an e-mail like that. I guess a lot of sessionals don't count on continued employment anyway though, especially people like me who are at the bottom of the seniority ladder. I also haven't heard much about potential TA strike, but I remember the last one being pretty nasty. Good luck future UBC TAs!

If you want to get into the mountains (rather than just looking at them) you might want to check out the VOC (http://www.ubc-voc.com) when you arrive.

I think that Jasper meant the sessionals are getting cut at SFU not UBC, same thing with the profs and TAs getting laid off.

I am heading to U of A as well. However, I'm looking into the possibility of deferring for a year, if it is permitted (1 semester would be enough to get some rest, but I can't imagine landing in Edmonton in the middle of winter, given that it rarely goes below +10C where I live)

I did my undergrad at Laurentian (Barrie/Sudbury) and now am at Trent

Spending a week at U of Victoria this June for a course - am really looking forward to visiting BC

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
I'm so thankful that I'm going to York *right* after their strike this year - I'll graduate before they can have another one, haha.

Their idiotic @#$%ing strike held up my MA for a whole year! How do you cancel a convocation, when people already fulfilled the terms of their degrees, anyway! As much as I realize TAs and adjuncts are exploited, the unions just make things worse. "We don't make enough money? Let's stop working for 6 months, then! That sounds like a good idea!"

/rant

• 1 month later...

Important Information

This website uses cookies to ensure you get the best experience on our website. See our Privacy Policy and Terms of Use