Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

HOLY CRAP GUYS!!!! I got into NYU!  I just got a call from the DGS and they are VERY impressed with my application. They are flying me up in a couple of weekends for the prospective student thing.  I am ELATED.  It's such a huge weight off my shoulders; I burst into tears when I hung up. I'm still shaking.

Edited by Chiqui74

From your experience Telkanuru, what do you think is going on with suspicious postings? Are people just trolling? 

I don't know. Maybe they meant to say "POI Email" instead of "website". Really, though, I think the important principle is that the only thing the results page can really tell you is when rejection (and possibly result) waves (4+ events) are coming out.

Also, I wanted to add that I had contacted the POI before applying but she never replied.  The DGS said the POI was very impressed with my application. I was initially discouraged by her lack of reply.

Edited by Chiqui74

HOLY CRAP GUYS!!!! I got into NYU!  I just got a call from the DGS and they are VERY impressed with my application. They are flying me up in a couple of weekends for the prospective student thing.  I am ELATED.  It's such a huge weight off my shoulders; I burst into tears when I hung up. I'm still shaking.

Congratulations! Was the call from a blocked/ unavailable # ? 

Congratulations Chiqui!!  What is your field?

You and I both. Haven't heard from a single school yet! Had an interview yesterday w/ Penn but I have no idea what their time table is. Oh well. Where else did you apply?

Желаю вас удачи и терпения.

I also applied to NYU, Indiana and Michigan. I have great fit POIs at all of those schools so I certainly hope that I will get some good news at some point. The problem is that the Russianist cohort at most schools is so small. I also am transitioning from political science/international relations (though all my degrees were done in europe and were interdisciplinary with a mostly historical focus). I'm convinced my POIs will go to bat for me, but the admissions committees may not feel the same.

Needless to say I'm pretty worried about my chances but what is one to do but wait and hope.

Congrats! So happy for you!

In a feeble attempt at distraction ....

If you could choose anyone (not necessarily their institution) to work with - who would it be?

Isn't the Venn diagram of this list and the list of people we applied to work with a circle?

I should have shared mine. Ussama Makdisi at Rice - he works on missionaries and transnational history between the US and Levant. I work on gender issues specifically, but besides that our interests are very similar.

Isn't the Venn diagram of this list and the list of people we applied to work with a circle?

Not necessarily. The person I want to work with is at a university that doesn't have a PhD program, but he's one of the few people interested in what I want to study. James Mokhiber because he focuses on arts and crafts education in colonial Tunisia.