Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

You guys...I think my SOP is done. I edited it a tiny bit today, saved the document, then had this odd moment of calm. I feel good about it...and that makes me feel like something is terribly wrong haha

I've had a similar feeling a few days ago, and I was ready to submit all my applications ahead of my (early, personal) deadline (Nov 15). However, what Im doing now is, I'm relaxing more and reading fun literature to calm myself. Then every single day I print out one SOP designated for one program, read it over with a red pen, and afterward I correct it on the computer and label that file as (done). I think if we keep revisiting our SOP - making corrections, purposely finding faults - we'll drive ourselves crazy. Which isn't good since we're expected to go crazy while in our PhD program, not before. 

:-D must be a great feeling ? Ha. I think I know mine by heart because I've read it a thousand times. Lol. One step closer !

When I read your post, I laughed cause in some respect, its true. I tried rehearsing my SOP template and I came pretty close in getting it word for word. Lol. 

I think for now, (speaking for myself) its best to peruse our applications with a fine comb to make sure we've checked and added all the information requested on the online applications. I know I accidentally made a mistake on one app inputting my birthday. I somehow switched the last two digits of the year I was born. I bet the adcoms would be perplexed in understanding why someone born in 1929 would be inclined to attend grad school. 

Soon the waiting game begins ... 

Glamdoll and LeventeL - I went over my SOP and managed to find an error so false alarm!

Editing one essay a day is a great idea. At this point, I'm so close to being done that that's really all I should need. If I keep obsessing I'm going to start adding a word then removing it then adding it back again.

1929...that has to be some kind of record for oldest grad student ;) if I switch the last two numbers of my birth year it'd be the same. aren't i special? I'm a Reagan baby by a few months ('88)

T minus 9 days....

Glamdoll and LeventeL - I went over my SOP and managed to find an error so false alarm!

Editing one essay a day is a great idea. At this point, I'm so close to being done that that's really all I should need. If I keep obsessing I'm going to start adding a word then removing it then adding it back again.

1929...that has to be some kind of record for oldest grad student ;) if I switch the last two numbers of my birth year it'd be the same. aren't i special? I'm a Reagan baby by a few months ('88)

T minus 9 days....

I sat down this past weekend with my mother and we both checked all my essays together for typos/mistakes -- she had a fresh pair of eyes since she hadn't looked at my essays as much as I have, and sure enough, she found a few typos that I'd missed. 

Quick question for everyone .. 

How early in your SOP should you mention your research interests? (in terms of paragraphs) This is something I've been having debates about, whether to mention it early on, or discuss your qualifications, and background first, then your interests. 

I mention it in my second paragraph. My essay is structured like this: My "hook" paragraph comes first and is related to my research interests. I state "20th century U.S. history" in the second paragraph. My third and fourth outline my research experience, fifth talks about my more specific interests within 20th century US, sixth is my "personal" paragraph which really just shows why my personal experiences make me a good historian, last paragraph is why I fit.

My approach was to make my interests clear in each paragraph, but I've heard it's necessary to state it explicitly early on.

Another question!

How did you format your essay, in regards to name, title, program? 

I was thinking ... 

_____

Name : 

SOP

Program: 

[Tab] Essay... 

____

However, some of my SOPs are 1-2 pages, so I lose 3-4 lines right there. I also thought about including it in my header : Name (far left); SOP (center); Program (far right). Do I even need to include this information on my SOP?

I mention it in my second paragraph. My essay is structured like this: My "hook" paragraph comes first and is related to my research interests. I state "20th century U.S. history" in the second paragraph. My third and fourth outline my research experience, fifth talks about my more specific interests within 20th century US, sixth is my "personal" paragraph which really just shows why my personal experiences make me a good historian, last paragraph is why I fit.

My approach was to make my interests clear in each paragraph, but I've heard it's necessary to state it explicitly early on.

I structured it in the following way :  Intro, background (unless that program as a Personal Statement section, then I dont include this), academic qualifications, research interests & why its important to study it, POI's research and other POIs, why this institution suits my academic needs, and my fit. This is the format I used for my longer 3-4 page SOPS. I do mention in my first paragraph, "...thus, inspiring my interests in Antebellum American history, which is the overall topic I'd like to further explore in graduate school." Then I hold off on my research interests until paragraph 4

For my short ones, its more or less the same, but I shortened my academic qualifications and background info. 

Im not sure if I should switch my background info to the very bottom, or leave it. At the moment, its almost following a chronological order of how I became interests, my undergrad and research experiences, what I'd like to research in grad school, and why Im a fit and what Im bringing to academia/institution. 
Edited by LeventeL

Your structure makes sense to me. I wouldn't worry about it too much. You need to feel good about what you've written. It's gotta sound like you, know what I mean? Just make sure your experience and interests are the central focus of the essay and you'll be fine :)

In the heading on the left hand side I put my name, the term I'm applying to, and the essay title ("Statement of Purpose" or "Personal Statement" or whatever the program calls it) plus page number. I wanted the information to be there but not be obtrusive. It looks like this:

Ashiepoo - Fall 2015

Statement of Purpose

Edited by ashiepoo72

Since I'm taking a break from applications, I thought I'd post a question here for funsies.

I tend to get stuck on certain songs or bands for a few months at a time, so for every single big research project I've ever done I have an associated album of music that just triggers the time period for me. This even works for when I'm not doing research. For example, I listened to linkin park during my middle school DC trip, so now whenever I think of the Civil War Meteora plays in my head (don't judge me!!). My current project = somekindawonderful and the glitch mob. Yes, I'm the person with headphones in jamming at archives haha

Do any of you experience something similar? Or do you have research rituals?

Edited by ashiepoo72

Since I'm taking a break from applications, I thought I'd post a question here for funsies.

I tend to get stuck on certain songs or bands for a few months at a time, so for every single big research project I've ever done I have an associated album of music that just triggers the time period for me. This even works for when I'm not doing research. For example, I listened to linkin park during my middle school DC trip, so now whenever I think of the Civil War Meteora plays in my head (don't judge me!!). My current project = somekindawonderful and the glitch mob. Yes, I'm the person with headphones in jamming at archives haha

Do any of you experience something similar? Or do you have research rituals?

Oh totally. Two certain albums take me back to my application cycle two years ago. Strangely, I miss that time of uncertainty and stress. 

Personally, I cannot focus if theres music blaring or if the tv is on. Then again, I usually have the tv on (just for some background noise) when Im writing an essay, or looking over my sources at home. At libraries though, Im that guy that will give you an unapproved look if I can hear your music.  

I do have a quirky research ritual that I believe is facilitating the drought in California. First, I work on my paper for as long as I can, which can translate to 30mins or 4-5 hours. When I finally feel stuck, frustrated, brain-dead, unsatisfied, annoyed, or I just need that break, I take a hot shower lol. For my first research project, I started writing a little late, so I shut myself in my apartment, one weekend, just to get something done. Im pretty sure between Saturday and Monday morning, I took around 5-6 showers. Luckily, in that apartment complex, our utilities were included in the overall rent and did not fluctuate. Therefore, I hope, where ever I go for grad school, I'll have a similar leasing contract; otherwise, I need to find a new ritual.  :D

stillalivetui - there is something strangely invigorating about the stress and uncertainty! I told one of my professors that I'm getting more excited as deadlines approach and asked him if there's something terribly wrong with me haha

LeventeL - if it makes you feel better, I stopped watering my lawn so your many showers balance it out :)

IU is my top choice :) so many great scholars. Plus I've heard the department culture is awesome.

So much love for IU! :) It really is a great place. So many great faculty members as well as students. Great department culture and awesome people coming into talk/network with all the time! If anyone has any questions about it feel free to be in touch or let me know if you are visiting! 

Ahhh the writing sample - speak of the devil. Are you including a cover page, ashiepoo72? Also, which citation style are you using, and do you include a bibliography, even if it goes beyond the page limit? 

I wasn't planning on using a cover page...it's not something I usually do. Are we supposed to? I always use Turabian, and I will include a bibliography. I was wondering if the bibliography counted toward page length but figured it doesn't.

I'm treating this the same way I would a final paper (ok, maybe with a little more care and stress!), so all the things I include with a term paper i am including with the writing sample.

Hmm ... 

I dont normally use a cover page either; however, for the specific sample I am using, I have a cover page since the assignment demanded one. Excluding my bib and 2 pages (at the very end) with graphs on it, I am within the page range. 

Also, do you think adcoms care which style you use - Chicago, MLA, Turabian? And, would they mark you down if you dont properly cite?

Huh. I remember getting no end of grief from a certain poster when I recommended that s/he look at schools outside of California. Isn't it funny how things change.

No one will be grading your essay, but if there's a citation standard in history, it's probably Chicago notes & bib.

And, would they mark you down if you dont properly cite?

Well, I think if I read a paper with sloppy citations, it would make me wonder if the analysis were sloppy as well. 

From what I understand, only Chicago and/or Turabian are acceptable citation styles for history.

As a Californian, I totally get why it's hard to imagine living anywhere else! My friends think I'm nutty for only applying to two CA schools ;)

Properly cite!! Honestly I'm terrible at citing because I usually do crude citations to not break up my thought process while writing, then correct them later. It's a bad habit. citations are important though! A huge part of writing history is giving credit to and showing the threads connecting other historians. I highly recommend Turabian's A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses and Dissertations.

Huh. I remember getting no end of grief from a certain poster when I recommended that s/he look at schools outside of California. Isn't it funny how things change.

No one will be grading your essay, but if there's a citation standard in history, it's probably Chicago notes & bib.

Lol. Things change with time, and yes, I remember my heated post a year ago. Ashiepoo72 does have a point. Its hard imagining your life in .. say ... Indiana, or somewhere north. I've grown quite comfortable under the Cali sun, and prefer to remain here. *Please UCI/UCLA accept me, and give me a good financial package!*

Properly cite!! Honestly I'm terrible at citing because I usually do crude citations to not break up my thought process while writing, then correct them later. It's a bad habit. citations are important though! A huge part of writing history is giving credit to and showing the threads connecting other historians. I highly recommend Turabian's A Manual for Writers of Research Papers, Theses and Dissertations.

Im the same way. When I write, I only provide crude citations until the final revision process. I only asked because on my original essay I used MLA. For some reason the prof wanted MLA over Chicago. *shrugs* Anyways, time to read over 51 citations. Haha the pleasures of a history major. 

For someone who spends so much time on the computer, I'm woefully bad with technology. I don't have a TV, so whenever anyone recommends a TV show or movie that's what I tell them. Yesterday my friend turns to me and says "you have a laptop..." 

Wait, you mean my paper-writer and research-organizer and gradcafe-stalker machine also plays moving pictures?!

I may or may not have watched several hours of New Girl last night  :unsure:

Wait, you mean my paper-writer and research-organizer and gradcafe-stalker machine also plays moving pictures?!

I may or may not have watched several hours of New Girl last night :unsure:

Haha. Hilarious ! I am a sucked for American horror story it's really good!

I just submitted all my apps. It felt good and not like the terror I felt during last year's submission. Now the real game begins ...the wait lol