Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

I've never seen American Horror Story, but I'll have to check it out now that I've discovered the wonderful capabilities of my laptop. ;) Congrats on submitting applications!!

I was thisclose to being done with apps, just getting last edits from a friend on my writing sample, when I realized I butchered citations of a source I use a lot in the sample. Now I have to dig through thousands of pages of said source and find the information I didn't include. I'd like to reiterate to all history majors, past, present and future--cite correctly from the very beginning! Don't be like me! It's utter torture fixing citations on a paper written over six months ago.

As a Californian, I totally get why it's hard to imagine living anywhere else! My friends think I'm nutty for only applying to two CA schools ;)

As somebody who grew up in California, I already find it criminally cold here in New England.

As a Californian, I totally get why it's hard to imagine living anywhere else! My friends think I'm nutty for only applying to two CA schools ;)

I moved to SoCal for my PhD, and now I feel the same; I don't want to leave the sunshine!

As somebody who grew up in California, I already find it criminally cold here in New England.

I don't think New Haven counts as New England. Or part of the civilized world, for that matter.

Well, I think if I read a paper with sloppy citations, it would make me wonder if the analysis were sloppy as well. 

They don't teach you how to cite in graduate school because it's expected that you KNOW how to cite properly.

Honestly, no one ever taught me to cite properly, even in undergrad. The professors said "use Chicago" and assumed we could figure it out. Which, to be real, shouldn't be difficult for history majors--it's essentially research. 

Edit: OH! Just wanted to say...I have officially submitted applications :)

Edited by ashiepoo72

They don't teach you how to cite in graduate school because it's expected that you KNOW how to cite properly.

I'm now biting my tongue, because I accidentally left a citation unfinished in my writing sample -- and I submitted my applications on Saturday! It's right there on the bottom of page 7: "Levine, [reference needed]." Oops. I was able to reupload the writing sample for 2 schools, but as for the rest, I'm hoping that since the rest of the citations are done properly, the admissions committees won't hold it against me (too much).

Honestly, no one ever taught me to cite properly, even in undergrad. The professors said "use Chicago" and assumed we could figure it out. Which, to be real, shouldn't be difficult for history majors--it's essentially research. 

Edit: OH! Just wanted to say...I have officially submitted applications  :)

Congratulations!
Edited by girlscoutcookies

Would it help some of you leave California if I reminded you that the extra cost of a flight to a European archive (or even one on the East Coast) won't be pleasant when living on a PhD stipend?

Would it help some of you leave California if I reminded you that the extra cost of a flight to a European archive (or even one on the East Coast) won't be pleasant when living on a PhD stipend?

Ah yes, but for the Asianists, we get cheaper and shorter flights from the West Coast to our archives. :) 

Really? That is quite strange. I was handed a citation manual during orientation week of freshman year (which has proved really useful now that I'm writing my senior thesis and encountering all sorts of obscure citation dilemmas). Also, one of the history professors at my school has an extensive footnoting handout and makes all of his students read it, and there's usually a citation workshop during the research seminar history juniors are required to take.

It's the kind of essential skill that no department should be above reinforcing, in my opinion.

Edited by L13

It's not that professors wouldn't correct footnotes or bibliographies that weren't properly done in papers--they did to help students see their errors. but my undergrad set a standard for us that I appreciated, and that was to find the information we needed by our own initiative. This touched on every aspect of my upper div experience, from research to class selection to citing. Whether we purchased a manual recommended by a TA, went to a professor's office hours, or googled how to cite, it didn't matter. They expected us to figure out a way to get what we needed. Maybe it's strange compared to other departments, but I have to say I'm an excellent googler now. Sure, this totally could've been because I did my undergrad at a huge state school with poor funding, but I don't think so. The department culture wasn't cold by any means, but...independent. The university itself is considered fairly (extremely) quirky.

Bam! All apps paid and submitted. Now its time to hibernate until late Feb, early March. 

My department was the same way towards citations. They didnt specifically teach us how to do it, but usually they corrected (and sometimes docked points) essay citations. I went to UC Davis, so you can imagine how many history majors there are to history professors. Plus, with the quarter only being 10 weeks, I dont see how/when they have the time to teach citations. =/ Maybe a specific class would be helpful but how do you drag that out for 10 weeks? I mostly used easybib.org, inputted my data, fixed it for chicago style, and used what the website gave me. So far, I havent really had any problems. 

Question! Does anyone know the timeline adcoms follow, concerning when they start reading apps, when they move between evaluation phases, etc? I figure they wont start until early January, since apps are due Dec 1 - 15, and sometimes applicants are missing some stuff. So with winter break, it only makes sense that they start next year. This is just to satisfy my own curiosity. 

Bam! All apps paid and submitted. Now its time to hibernate until late Feb, early March. 

My department was the same way towards citations. They didnt specifically teach us how to do it, but usually they corrected (and sometimes docked points) essay citations. I went to UC Davis, so you can imagine how many history majors there are to history professors. Plus, with the quarter only being 10 weeks, I dont see how/when they have the time to teach citations. =/ Maybe a specific class would be helpful but how do you drag that out for 10 weeks? I mostly used easybib.org, inputted my data, fixed it for chicago style, and used what the website gave me. So far, I havent really had any problems. 

Question! Does anyone know the timeline adcoms follow, concerning when they start reading apps, when they move between evaluation phases, etc? I figure they wont start until early January, since apps are due Dec 1 - 15, and sometimes applicants are missing some stuff. So with winter break, it only makes sense that they start next year. This is just to satisfy my own curiosity. 

Honestly, the bigger issue than citations is plagiarism.  Professors would prefer that you actually make the effort to cite, even if you don't have the formatting right, than not.  I've had professors who insist on citing multiple times in a paragraph even if things are from one source.... just wait until you deal with journal editors and their reviewers.

As for the timeline, yes, the month of December is usually spent getting the applications organized by the graduate coordinator.  S/he checks the applications for missing materials and any *important* things to flag for readers such as diversity or a super desired field for that year.  Then the DGS receives the applications along with sub-committees (generally divided by geographical fields).  Those professors have approximately 3-4 weeks to read them, discuss their top choices, and forward their top choices to the Graduate Studies Committee.  The DGS and the GSC will determine their top applicants and, if applicable, nominate their tippy top choices for fellowships from the Graduate School.  That deadline is usually sometimes in late January/early February.  February is generally spent -- unless everyone is guaranteed funding-- deciding the funding packages and ranking the applicants.  Once that's done and approved by the faculty in a faculty meeting, the DGS notifies applicants of the admissions decision (or to the Graduate School for the online system).

There's a reason why private universities are usually able to notify early while public universities have to deal with complications of limited funding and gaining funding approval from the Graduate School.  Fortunately, my program (at a public university) guarantees funding to all nominated so even if the fellowship for a nominated falls through (sometimes it does happen for silly reasons), the person still has 4-5 years of TAship.  

Sometimes there's a second wave (of several) or a turn to the waiting list (which is done one-by-one) if there has been enough "declined."

It's nerve-racking and stressful for both sides of the table.  Remember, it's not just you.  However, as nervous and stressed the faculty members are about getting new students, they also recognize that having admitted students saying "no" is part of the business and there's always next year.  I'd urge applicants to take similar approach.... there is....always next year.

Oh yes, be aware that Princeton operates on a funny academic schedule.

things to flag for readers such as diversity or a super desired field for that year.

Hello, thanks so much for that timeline :) I'm sure ill refer back during the waiting period.

Would you mind explaining to me what is meant by "diversity" in the above quoted text? Is this in terms of the persons work/ research or personal background (such as being a minority). Is this a favorable trait to have?

Sorry, just curious. Also, thanks a bunch for your help!

Edited by Glamdoll

Also keep in mind for those applying to Madison that the history department really does not have much say over funding. Their system works like this:they send a list to the graduate school with their recommendations for ALL funding packages (not just top fellowships) then all history students go into a pool with social science/humanities students, and the grad school assigns funding based on whatever factors they think will guarantee a good student and make them look good as a graduate program. The professors there really do not like the system, but it is worth knowing how it works.

Hello, thanks so much for that timeline :) I'm sure ill refer back during the waiting period.

Would you mind explaining to me what is meant by "diversity" in the above quoted text? Is this in terms of the persons work/ research or personal background (such as being a minority). Is this a favorable trait to have?

Sorry, just curious. Also, thanks a bunch for your help!

As you enter in the university politics, you will find that nobody has a "clear" definition of diversity....  but in generally it does mean representing a minority group whether it's gender, ability, race, ethnicity, socioeconomics, sexual orientation, etc.  My university's definition of "diversity" for its diversity fellowship  tend to favor applicants of racial/ethnic minority group.

As you enter in the university politics, you will find that nobody has a "clear" definition of diversity.... but in generally it does mean representing a minority group whether it's gender, ability, race, ethnicity, socioeconomics, sexual orientation, etc. My university's definition of "diversity" for its diversity fellowship tend to favor applicants of racial/ethnic minority group.

Thanks so much for that answer. I am a minority which is why I asked.

Members of this board are very helpful and I just wanted to say thanks !

Hi there!

Folks that are applying to Wisconsin -- a quick question:  I submitted my complete application on 10/30, with the supplemental form and all necessary documents (writing sample, SOP, etc.)  I just did a final check to make sure everything was there, and they do not have my writing sample checked off as received, but they do have the supplemental form checked off.  Has anyone else had the same happen?  Is this normal?  The only thing I can think of is that maybe my writing sample was too large (though it didn't say so when I uploaded it).  I submitted my thesis, because they asked for it, which came in at 300 pages.

Anyone have any information, or similar experience?  I have an email in to the Grad Coordinator, and I will likely call on Monday, but I'm concerned because of the holiday.

Thanks!

I just checked and mine says the same thing, although I applied only 5 days ago so I'm not too concerned. It also says they haven't received my transcripts, which were scanned to the app and hard copies mailed about 2 weeks ago. I'm guessing it just takes a bit of time for those things to be verified. If you're concerned, it wouldn't hurt to call or email and ask.

I uploaded my writing sample to the supplemental application, too, but mine was only 25 pages with bibliography. I have no clue if your 300 page thesis would affect the upload. They asked for the entire thing? That just blows my mind...no way the adcomm at Madison has enough time to read that much when they get upwards of 300 applications. 

Edit: Just FYI, this is what it says on the admissions status page for UW - "Due to varying program deadlines, processing of your materials/checklist items will also vary. Please allow 14 days for your program to check off receipt of materials. We update the status check at 7:00 a.m. each work day." 

So I'm guessing that means 14 work days, which means they're barely late in your case. Don't panic yet :)

Edited by ashiepoo72

Well, they say if you have a thesis, to upload it.  What I actually ended up doing is putting a 23 page published article in front of the thesis, and adding a cover page that basically said "Please feel free to only read the article, but you asked for the thesis, so here it is."  That way, they could either go the short way or the long way, but either way I was covered.

I just looked at the department website, and you're absolutely right. If they said for you to submit it then I'm sure the upload went through fine. If you're worried, you can always shoot them a quick message. I bet the department is just busy and hasn't gotten to it, but I totally get that you don't want to assume that!