Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Three different people in towns near schools I applied to found my academia.edu page this week. Hm.

Wow. That's Good! What were the application deadlines? I've always wondered if they review before the deadline. I have turned mine in about a month earlier than the stated deadline.

Just joined because I think I might (figuratively) die while waiting on app/admissions responses. I thought it might be nice to be amongst others who are experiencing the same sort of anxiety… oy. I just graduated in May from a small, liberal arts institution and have applied to 6 grad schools - focusing on U.S. women's history. I hate this wait!!!

Wow. That's Good! What were the application deadlines? I've always wondered if they review before the deadline. I have turned mine in about a month earlier than the stated deadline.

Dec. 1; they were in by the 26th tho.

Three different people in towns near schools I applied to found my academia.edu page this week. Hm.

I've heard of this website before, but not made an account. Normally, what type of student uses academia.edu? Also, do adcoms generally check out potential grad students this way? (For everyone else) Do you have an account on academia.edu?

I don't have a profile on academia.edu but I've looked at a few profiles of students when I was researching programs to see what kind of research and teaching they were doing.

I did notice that my LinkedIn has been getting some more activity! I barely use any social media, so I don't think much would come up under my name.

Edited by ashiepoo72

All my applications are in.  Or so I thought. One of my LOR writers suggested I look at this other program and I've been corresponding with a faculty member there.  I'm still not sure I'll apply (I've spent SO much money on this already), but maybe.  I hate waiting so come February I'll be like a caged monkey.

Edited by Chiqui74

All my applications are in.  Or so I thought. One of my LOR writers suggested I look at this other program and I've been corresponding with a faculty member there.  I'm still not sure I'll apply (I've spent SO much money on this already), but maybe.  I hate waiting so come February I'll be like a caged monkey.

I'm in a very similar situation. Today my advisor suggested a program that would be a great fit for my interests, which I originally dismissed because I didn't want to have too many super reaches on my list. Now that I'm almost done with my applications, however, the only cost of applying to one more school would be financial, and I'm trying to decide if it's worth it.

However, one logistical consideration is worrying me: How would I report my GRE scores if I decided to apply to one more program so late in the game (their deadline is the Monday after next)? Does anyone know how fast electronic GRE score reports are delivered to universities? (I realize it takes many departments longer to match the score report to the application, but I assume they don't hold applicants accountable for that delay.)

Oh, and I have an academia.edu profile, which I use to read and bookmark articles, book reviews, etc. The point of the website is to widen public access to research by allowing authors to upload individual articles online. It's very useful.

Edited by L13

I took the GRE on the 19th of Nov, and the four schools that you can send scores to immediately after the test received my scores by the 26th (maybe earlier, since the programs need to update applications to inform the applicant what s/he is missing). After the test, I dont know exactly when I sent my scores from home, but I know it was the week after I took the test. Those scores have only been delivered last week. 

Now for my case, it took a few days to receive my official scores, which is why it took alittle long. But since you have your scores already, I believe if your priority mail them, the school can get them in 5-10 business days. I'd contact the program, and ask what their policy on late GRE scores. Nevertheless, Im sure most programs are lenient about late GRE scores, and LORs.  

When I sent my GRE scores to Berkeley they matched them to my application in less than three days. I assume that if you order the GRE scores online they will get to the university within 2-3 business days. I believe ETS delivers them electronically. If you have a week, I wouldn't worry about them getting there in time. But that's just me.

FYI, if anyone else is applying to OSU, they may have decided that some of your materials are unacceptable but decided it wasn't worth notifying you directly. Double check the website!

FYI, if anyone else is applying to OSU, they may have decided that some of your materials are unacceptable but decided it wasn't worth notifying you directly. Double check the website!

OSU's application is the worst. I had such a headache trying to get my application in there. It wouldn't take my recommenders (you have to re-enter their names on a separate form?), the site constantly crashes, and the link they gave me to check my application status isn't even the right one. Also, the information on the history department website directly contradicts that of the graduate school, so then you had to find out what was actually required and what wasn't.

That being said, I had some problems with different parts of my application (one of my recommenders couldn't upload his letter; I submitted the wrong document for my writing sample; my study abroad transcripts got lost in the mail) and the graduate coordinator at OSU was incredibly generous and let me send everything to him directly to save on the hassle. 

Which is super weird because they use a really competent and professional 3rd party system for summer-semester applications only. I know, because I tried to fill that out first.

Hello guys, what does it mean if a program extends their application deadline?

I have already submitted mine but noticed a school extended their deadline from Dec. 15 until Jan. 1st. Does this have a general meaning? Also, would it delay the response time (I noticed most of their decisions usually come out in Feb).

Thanks in advance!

Edited by Glamdoll

@ the people applying to IU-Bloomington, 

Did you indicate on your application that you would be interested in a Terminal MA, if you were rejected from the PhD program? If so, how long was your essay answering. 

Glamdoll -- no idea...I've never heard of that. Maybe they just want more time to go through applications? It probably won't delay the results by much, because most schools don't even look at applications until after the holidays (although some start going over them as they come in). I would just be glad that you have it done with early!

LeventeL -- I didn't, because I'm currently completing an MA. I would imagine the essay doesn't need to be long since they already have your SOP and stuff. I'd write about how an MA will help build your skills for a future PhD program. I pulled this from the IU website:  NOTE: if you wish also to apply for admission to a terminal MA, then you must submit a separate statement of no more than 300 words that identifies the terminal MA track and provides a rationale for the terminal MA application.

After submitting my application to Harvard at exactly 5:00pm without previewing it, I'm pretty sure I can write that one off. But hey, I now have a whole extra day to look for typos in my writing sample before UChicago's deadline.

Which is to say, I'm pretty sure Harvard is gonna be a wash, but it's good that I finally submitted *an* application because it forced me to add a conclusion to my writing sample. January deadlines, here I come.

Got my Rutgers app in last week with a few days to spare (deadline: today). One recommender still hasn't sent hers in, and one U transcript still not received (same U, by coincidence).

I did what I could. Time to move on to the second app. 

Isn't Chicago's app due today? Website says Dec. 15.

You're right and I did submit it on time :) I think wishful thinking got the better of me for a second, but then I went to their website, checked, and submitted. Thanks for the reminder, though!

Ugh, I was not ready for these deadlines. Oh, well. I was always expecting to get a master's degree first anyway.

So, after doing more in-depth research, my list has shrunk a bit to Harvard, Brown, UCBerk, UChicago, and UToronto. I'm... moderately intimidated by this list. I've gone only for professors who were very near my area of interest, but I've ended up with a short list of heavy hitters. Two questions:

1) Does anyone have any tips on how to not freak out about this?

2) The UCB program says it takes a history cohort of 32-40. This seems absurdly large. Is this perception accurate, and can anyone here comment on how the cohort size influences the internal department dynamic?

Hey, current PhD at UofT. Message me if you have any questions! 

This is my first post (although I have lurked around for a while). I am already in a doctoral program but I am trying to get into another program (since I changed my area of concentration and my current program is no longer a good fit). My case is a different one (as some programs may look at me with certain suspicion).

Applying to: University of Chicago, University of California-Berkeley, Yale University, Northwestern University, Princeton University, Stanford University, Columbia University, University of California-San Diego

Good luck to everybody! You would think that you get used to the anxiety of waiting for responses. You don't. It's actually worse this second time around.