Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

You're in good company, Heimat! I think we either all feel terrible or will soon!

I had trouble sleeping last night, thinking about all the peccadilloes on my undergrad transcript. I kept telling myself, well you're doing killer in the MA, your essays are solid and your recs are great, but nope...that F in biological anthropology (which I retook and got an A, so I'm even more irrational FYI) in your first quarter is going to derail your whole application, so stop hoping!! Way to waste hella money, idiot!

I woke up feeling more optimistic haha these moments of crazy sure are refreshing.

telkanuru, that's amazing...like--in all seriousness--I'm impressed. Had you chosen the wrong major for the first 2 years of undergrad? I was an anthropology major initially and...cultural anthro is amazing. But anthro is a seriously confused major--is it science? is it social science? Needless to say, I'm terrible at the science...

Also, don't feel bad. I got a flat B in my very last history class as an undergrad (but aced an unrelated American Studies and Lit class...because logic?). This class is probably one of the most related to my PhD interests, too! For some reason I'm more intrigued by the classes that I don't get As in, because apparently I'm a glutton for punishment. I could cry about having a 2 year old and working at the time, but I barely mention any of that in my SOP because I don't regret any of it. Instead, I'll just sit at home, bite my nails to the quick and pretend I'm calm in front of other humans...

Yea, it definitely could be worse. It took me 8yrs to finish my BA and let's just say that everything before my MA and last two years of undergrad are a hot, hot mess. I too had other life circumstances going on and only briefly mentioned any of it in my SOPs. I figure it's not a linear path for everyone, and the difference in perspective granted by more circuitous life paths might, for some schools, outweigh the blemishes.

telkanuru, that's amazing...like--in all seriousness--I'm impressed. Had you chosen the wrong major for the first 2 years of undergrad? I was an anthropology major initially and...cultural anthro is amazing. But anthro is a seriously confused major--is it science? is it social science? Needless to say, I'm terrible at the science...

Nah. I was a mechanical engineer, but it was a lot of factors, the largest being that I wasn't really mature enough to be on my own, and I needed to learn a lot of tough lessons before I could devote myself to school. It turned out OK - my final cumulative undergraduate GPA was above 3.0, and I'm about to get my second degree from Harvard, but it could have easily have gone differently. Of course, I'm not out of the woods until I actually get in somewhere.

Actually, even with that GPA, my experience in an engineering program has proved really important to my career in history. Those interests have pushed me towards quantitative and digital history, and I now manage a major DH project (see `MAPS!' in sig line). They've also inspired a couple of projects which have turned into conference presentations and, deus vult, publications.

I totally get that...when I started college I really didn't care about grades. I figured it was just enough to get the degree, that a GPA below 3.0 would get me there just as easily as one above. I am sometimes envious of those who had it all figured out by undergrad--it took me academic probation one quarter, and two quarters off to have a kid to turn my academic career around--but I think Deadwing's comment about the circuitous path is right on--when I spoke to POIs, they always mentioned "fit" as important, but another descriptor frequently used to describe an ideal grad student was "interesting." :)

I've gotten a lot of responses from POI to the effect of "your research sounds very interesting.  Please make sure you apply." Some even recommend I mention their name as willing to work with me.  I don't know how much weight any of this carries, but it's nice to hear.  

My undergrad GPA isn't great either (3.2) and I didn't complete my first master's program.  Those are points against me I suppose. 

Im in a similar position, Heimat Historian. My GPA isnt stellar, and my GRE is barely competitive. However, I did take 7 seminars, with one being grad-level, and received B+ or higher. I was also a Phi Alpha Theta treasurer, interned for a variety of professions like newspapers (published two short stories), museums, and research groups on campus (not pertinent to my area).When I reached out to POIs, I emailed them, scheduled a skype/phone call interview, and for the most  part(except one),  we talked for a good hour or more. Likewise, alot of my POIs and LOR writers said that my research ideas are very interesting, and novel. 

Nevertheless, I do not believe (not to sound pessimistic) that just because a POI likes your research ideas that you gain points on your app. They wont laugh and say your ideas are silly, would they? I think, and correct me if Im wrong, the final decisions in accepting a potential grad student is up to the administration. I believe that programs try to keep their acceptance statistics high in order to generate that "prestige" facade, and to keep the money flowing into the program. If a program, hypothetically, fell in ranks, or if it willingly accepted students that lowered the acceptance average, I believe, they will lose money from donors, gov/state, whomever. In addition, I dont know how willing a POI would be in putting their reputation on the line, in order to convince the adcoms to accept a below-the-average applicant. 

If I do get accepted though, I think I would be given a "left over" spot; like if the program had enough money to supply oh just-one-more student or if those first few accepted will outweigh my low stats and wont effect the acceptance average. 

EDIT: Rereading this, it doesnt have to sound pessimistic, for it is the embodiment of pessimism haha. Surprisingly, Ive been rather calm during this application season. My parents, satirically, last year, said that since I worry too much about .. just stuff ... that I'd lose my head hair around this time. No problems so far. 

Edited by LeventeL

I think it doesn't hurt, but I always keep in mind that POIs responded enthusiastically to me without seeing my transcripts, SOP and writing sample, and without other applicant packages in front of them to compare. How POIs reacted did encourage me to apply to some places I thought out of reach, discouraged me to apply because professors seemed uninterested and pushed schools up and down my list unexpectedly. It was useful, but I don't allow myself to think it'll be crucial in the decision-making process. I sent them my best writing sample and an SOP that made me cry when I reread it, because it's literally me on a page. That's what I'm banking on.

Im with you, ashiepoo72. 

I sent my best sample. I worked on my SOP/PS for more than two months, and alot of people liked what I wrote. I reached out to POIs. Honestly, theres nothing more I can do, at this point (besides bribing). Just gotta think positive thoughts!

Edited by LeventeL

Traditioanlly, when do History applicants start hearing back from the schools? People are already hearing back, but it's been for STEM fields so far.

Edited by Chiqui74

Some programs begin notifying in late January--off the top of my head, I know that Northwestern, Minnesota and Michigan State do. This isn't to say these programs don't continue notifying into February. Most programs will begin sometime in February. You may want to check out the results forum, that'll give you an idea of when programs started in the past.

I saw a wonderful chart, somewhere on these forums, that illustrated the rise and falls of notifications with respect to when rejections and acceptance peak. Unfortunately, I cannot find it, though I will continue looking tonight and post the link. If I remember correctly, notifications tend to peak in mid Feb to early March, and quite a few of early rejections are sent out in the first weeks of Jan. My undergrad adviser told me that, I should receive a letter, from at least one school, in the next 3-4 weeks. That is not to say, sometimes you get early early acceptance letters, or sometimes really late ones. 

Im curious how quickly you need to reply to programs that admitted you. Hypothetically, if I get admitted today from UniX and I accept it, and 6 weeks later, my dream school accepts me, can I cancel my first acceptance? 

I think you would have until April 15 as far as financial aid, to respond to schools. I'm no expert so I hope someone else here knows. Also I think some of us should start hearing back towards the end of Jan. According to my hypothesis after stalking the results forum lol and experience from last round. Hope this helped.

April 15th is the last day to respond to programs. I've also heard horror/happy stories of applicants being strung along on a wait list til April 15th, so this whole grueling process really isn't over til that date (yay  :wacko: )

Veteran posters (I think New England Nat) have said that once you've received an acceptance (or multiples) and funding offers (don't make any decisions without funding offers!!), don't just hold out on programs you haven't heard from that you know you would turn down just to see how many accept you. There will more than likely be applicants on the wait list or the "second wave" that might benefit from you withdrawing an application or rejecting an offer to a program you know you'll decline anyway. In that case, waiting til April 15th is kind of a douche move.

I'm NOT assuming we will all get in somewhere, though I think you are all awesome and can't wait to hear where you end up in the fall  :D but seriously, I think we have a pretty awesome community and it'll be great if we keep being conscientious of our fellow aspiring historians. 

Edited by ashiepoo72

Hi all, I am a newbie poster who regularly stalks. I'm just coming on because I've just had a strange experience with Rutgers and wondered whether anybody has had anything similar. I'm at full anxiety mode so I'm probably making mountains out of molehills as they say. On Friday I had an e-mail from the uni stating that my application was currently under review and that it was incomplete, to follow the link to make changes to it and upload supporting docs. Well having looked through the application I sent off and having followed said link there was nothing incomplete about it? I'm a little worried about it and they haven't replied to my inquisitive e-mail. Has anyone else had a similar experience? Would hate to miss out on an opportunity over something so minuscule. Cheers!

Michaelgi, I had a similar experience with UT-Austin, only the admissions person who e-mailed me told me what the problem was (one of my uploaded transcripts was difficult to read and she asked me to resubmit). If I were you, I would reply to the e-mail asking for specific information as to what action they require to consider your application complete. Good luck.

BTW, I'm a new poster who also regularly stalks. I enjoy sharing in our common anxiety and neuroticism. Best of luck to all the applicants, I can't wait to see where everyone ends up.

Michaelgi, I had a similar experience with UT-Austin, only the admissions person who e-mailed me told me what the problem was (one of my uploaded transcripts was difficult to read and she asked me to resubmit). If I were you, I would reply to the e-mail asking for specific information as to what action they require to consider your application complete. Good luck.

BTW, I'm a new poster who also regularly stalks. I enjoy sharing in our common anxiety and neuroticism. Best of luck to all the applicants, I can't wait to see where everyone ends up.

Are you currently a student at FIU?  What do you intent do research in grad school?

Edited by Chiqui74

Thanks for the shared experience JTE, funnily enough just after I posted I received a reply stating that my Sample/Resume were missing! Which I completely believe was a mistake because I am obsessive to the point of neuroticism when triple and quadruple checking my apps before I submitted. Either way I've uploaded them again I just hope it doesn't cock the whole thing up! Oh well...

I received emails from UC Irvine and Indiana U. asking for a better copy of my transcripts in November. Other than that, I have had no communication with any of my programs. 

Edited by LeventeL

Ugh two of my schools might get my MA transcript after the deadline. I sent them each a copy of the unofficial one just in case, but now I'm stressing out when a few days ago I thought I was done!

How're the rest of you holding up?

Chiqui, I am not currently at FIU but I did get my Master's there. I'm looking at researching borderlands and gender, specifically masculinity among Arab immigrants to the Americas around the turn of the twentieth century. Are you at FIU? Do we know each other?

Looking over past results, it looks like very few programs interview, and those that do don't do it consistently. I was having a minor nutty until I checked.

Ugh two of my schools might get my MA transcript after the deadline. I sent them each a copy of the unofficial one just in case, but now I'm stressing out when a few days ago I thought I was done!

How're the rest of you holding up?

Leaving my phone in my car while at work to keep from obsessively checking emails. Even though I know it's not results time. No self control!! Lol. That sucks about your transcripts. Nothing like it to rattle your nerves lol