Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

The worst part is seeing all the interviews and acceptances rolling in from other disciplines. Most history programs are silent except for the occasional interview, usually informal, so we get to suffer in agony.

Northwestern should be getting back pretty soon...like the next week or so. They have been known to respond as late as mid-March, though. Maryland starts notifying early February but usually isn't done til March either. We got a LONG way to go...

I haven't heard anything yet.. I applied to the UK and the US and this a very stressful period! I'm not sure if the forum helps or is just making me more nervous but I can't resist checking it (and the results page) every five minutes haha

Great advice, ashiepoo72. 

I would also like to add, when you read (this is what I do) have two different highlighters. Use one color to highlight the author's argument or main point, and use the other color to supplement that argument. Dont highlight everything like a mad-man/woman but key points. I buy books for my own personal use, so, over time, they've become quite colorful. If you're one of those ppl that keep their books pristine, then I suggest using flashcards and writing, on the top, the main argument followed by bulletpoints. I also took a grad-leveled seminar, and using the flashcard method, I could easily interject my own thoughts by returning to those notes and supplying quotes and page numbers. You read these texts, and at the moment, you're like 'I get it!' Then later, during class, you cant seem to find that specific quote or you forgot something. When you read, after like each chapter, write your thoughts down. 

Regarding the reading, I've noticed that in grad seminars, its alot! Usually a whole book (length varies), alongside 1-2 scholarly articles. Dont try to read word-for-word cause its too time consuming. I learned, from these forums, that its best to skim read the "meat" section of a paragraph, which is usually filled with details to back the main idea, and instead, focus more on the beginning and ending of the paragraph. The beginning and end kinda validates why the author added this paragraph, and why its pertinent to the overall thesis. Heimat's advice is right on!

Lastly, if allowed and capable, try to add quick references to previous readings in the class, or from famous historians of that area. Be warned, that this is a gamble, unless you know, for sure, what you're talking about, and if you're confident that others will understand as well. I made the mistake of mentioning an anecdote but unfortunately, I couldnt say, for sure, who it was. Days later, I found the quote and showed it to my prof, during office hours, and he gave the same advice: if you dont know where its coming from and who said it, dont say it. 

Oh, and try to meet up with classmates in the seminar (its usually >15 ppl, so its easy to meet each other) to discuss the readings and ideas. I dont know if grad school is like this, but I was overly audacious and organized a mini-group of 5 ppl. We'd meet up in a local coffee shop, eat, drink, discuss the reading, and gossip alittle. It was very very beneficial for me since a majority of the texts were soooooo esoteric! 

EDIT: 

I havent heard ANYTHING from my programs >.< 

I know its still early but its scary!

I did, however, get a weird phone message from a POI. She called me, one afternoon from a blocked number, and I didnt pick up. Her message was about 2 minutes long, and she didnt really say anything specific about my application. The only real thing she said was "We were reviewing your application earlier today. blahblah. Your SOP was very articulate. blahblah I am glad you mentioned my research" That was pretty much it. Wish me good luck and left me confused and anxious. I want to call her back but at the same time, I feel like I shouldnt cause they just reviewed or still reviewing my app and I dont want to interrupt; for ethical reasons of course. My father told me to delete the message cause he knew I'd obsessively listen to it over and over, dissecting every word and driving myself insane. I wish I didnt delete it now ... lol

Edited by LeventeL

LeventeL - meeting with classmates is on point advice. My cohort does google chats where we discuss the books/articles before actual class discussion. It's very helpful.

Welcome elinen! I'm glad to see a bunch of new posters making their appearance :)

I loved graduate school. I did my master in London and it was great. A lot of reading, class discussions and heated debates about imperialism and empire. don't worry about not being able to read everything, just make sure you know where the author positions him/herself in the historiographical debate.

OH I forgot about Boston College. I applied there as well. I keep looking at the results page and it seems like everyone is hearing back except for us!

Maybe the adcoms are organizing a special parade of acceptance for us, since we're special.  :D 

Friend of mine spoke with the DGS at Northwestern. He said they'd hear from him in early February. Thus, I'd expect you to hear back the first week of February.

Edited by fopdandyhomo

Chiming in about grad work. 

I'm currently in a completely different Master's program but have taken grad coursework in History and related topics. 

One thing I've really learned over the last year or so is to just ask questions when you're not sure of something- even if it's a word that it seems like everyone knows (trust me, everyone doesn't!). Everyone comes with different backgrounds, different base levels of knowledge. 

I more lurk but have applied to the UMich History/Women Studies joint PhD as well as their American Culture program. (It's a long story about why I applied to both but I'd be super happy in either one. If I'm not accepted, I'll cast a wide range next year after some publications.) ETA: My area of study is medicalization of sexuality, history of medicine (specifically eugenics), and history of institutionalization of youth, especially youth of color. 

Edited by kateosee

Pssst~

Don't think I saw anyone on here posting about applying to USC, but History department's admits are out/coming out. Just thought I'd mention it. 

Hey guys, 2nd semester senior at the College of Charleston. My name is Ben :). I'm a history major with a focus in Atlantic world history (namely British colonial studies). I would love any advice I can get on not freaking out about not hearing back from any schools yet. 

Hey guys, 2nd semester senior at the College of Charleston. My name is Ben :). I'm a history major with a focus in Atlantic world history (namely British colonial studies). I would love any advice I can get on not freaking out about not hearing back from any schools yet. 

I've been reading a lot and watching some netflix. Just remember that this is one aspect of your life. A very important aspect, no doubt, but you have other areas that still need attention during this season. 

Of course, now I discovered the GradCafe survey.  It's depressing.  I see that NYU requested (at least one) interviews back on Jan 10th.  I'd love to know which field.  The Universtiy of Michigan too.

Edited by Chiqui74

I am sorry in advance if I am digressing in the thread but last year applicants who went through the interview process, would you mind shooting me a PM? I just received several interview requests in the last few days so I am very curious about the procedure of these interviews. Thank you a lot!

Anyone else see that Ohio State acceptance on the results board?

I just got done telling my classmate I have about a week before I start really freaking out. Apparently I overestimated haha

EDIT: sorry for being rude! Congrats to the acceptee :)

Edited by ashiepoo72

Any other Russianists here still waiting to hear?

From the extensive conversations that I had with potential advisors before applying they were hoping that they could get more of their potential students in but said that we have fallen out of favour in recent years. I was wondering if anyone else who has applied to study the history of Russia (specifically pre-Soviet Russian history) has heard anything yet?