Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

You guys...I was just accepted to MSU with full funding. I'm totally floored.

Congrats!

MSU was in my initial list of schools to which I wanted to apply, then I cut it out because I didn't feel it was a good enough fit (despite very positive correspondence with POI).  What is your area, if you don't mind?

Africa but I knew it was a bit of a long shot. I'm looking at North Africa but because my undergrad and MA do/did not have an Arabic program my advisor (an Africanist) advised me to apply to African Studies programs, since they tend to be more lax about it. I guess the plus side is that I don't have to worry about filling out all the FLAS paperwork! It just stinks because I met with my POI and she was really nice. The next best fit for me would be Boston University but I'm not sure how selective they are in comparison to MSU or OSU (which is probably the most unlikely since I don't think it was as good of a fit.) It's my fault for not submitting parts of my thesis and using research papers instead. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Heimat, I do actually. Mainly because the two samples I chose to submit were not really related to what I want to do and neither showcased the language ability I do have, which was an oversight on my part. One focused on colonial memory and South Korea and the other was on art and abolition.  Unfortunately, none of the courses I took in my MA program allowed me to write on my topic and my undergrad degree is in art history (my senior thesis there was on Brazil feather-work so I've completely switched gears, to say the least.) 

Ashiepoo, thanks for the encouragement! I actually had a conversation with my advisor before the break and we talked about alternatives to PhD programs. One of which was to teach English for a year in Morocco. If you don't mind me asking, what is your emphasis?

Girlscoutcookies, who is your POI, if you don't mind the question?

The three I listed in my SOP were Christopher Otter, Alice Conklin, and Susan Lawrence. I'm also interested in working with Birgitte Soland, but I didn't mention her in my essay.

You guys...I was just accepted to MSU with full funding. I'm totally floored.

Congratulations!!!

It might be fun to share what we're all looking to work on when we eventually get accepted into our dream programs.  Any takers? 

I'm looking to work on German immigration and cultural transmission from a transnational perspective.  I have a couple of options on how to pursue this course of study based upon where I end up.  For example, in programs that are more Americanist leaning, I focus on the German immigrant experience in the US.  In other contexts, I self-identify as a Europeanist with a transnational focus. 

The three I listed in my SOP were Christopher Otter, Alice Conklin, and Susan Lawrence. I'm also interested in working with Birgitte Soland, but I didn't mention her in my essay.

As a medievalist, this is quite a relief :-P

It might be fun to share what we're all looking to work on when we eventually get accepted into our dream programs.  Any takers? 

I'm looking to work on German immigration and cultural transmission from a transnational perspective.  I have a couple of options on how to pursue this course of study based upon where I end up.  For example, in programs that are more Americanist leaning, I focus on the German immigrant experience in the US.  In other contexts, I self-identify as a Europeanist with a transnational focus. 

I am interested in examining the old topos of monastic isolation in the context of the Church reform movements in northern France and the Low Countries during the eleventh through thirteenth centuries. As with you, where I get in will probably determine the precise when, where, and what.

I love how German sounds. I'd like to learn it for fun, but I'm trying to learn Russian right now...well, at least enough to read. Next up, Vietnamese and Korean! I WILL be a polyglot by the time I'm through! :)

As a medievalist, this is quite a relief :-P

I'm not a medievalist in the slightest, so no worries there! I'm interested in women's history as it intersects with science and medicine. I wrote my senior thesis on race and disease in postwar Britain, but I also work in a women's history archive (archives?), so the two experiences sort of merged to lead me here! 

I tried to upvote your comment but I'm out of upvotes for the day!! How can that possibly be?!  :P

I will be drinking craft beer and eating pizza with friends tonight. Then I need to get started on reading for next week's classes! Have fun with your bestie, girlscoutcookies!

I'll play! As I mentioned before, I'm interested in North Africa, specifically colonial Morocco. My MA thesis discusses how the protectorate controlled and regulated heritage in its African colonies through education and organizations that would verify authenticity. What I'd like to do is delve deeper into how this influenced gender roles and class structure, as well as local reactions.