Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Regarding funding, do programs ask for financial records, bank statements, taxes etc., when determining how much cha-ching to give to a student? I remember on my applications they asked a similar question about how much personal savings I have available for school. 

Funding is determined based on merit, not need, so I don't think how financially strapped we are is taken into account. There are special fellowships and stuff based on diversity or research interests but that's different than financial need.

Only one application asked how much undergrad debt I still had, none of the others mentioned my finances at all except to say I should (or need) to apply for FAFSA. I have heard that international applicants need to send financial documents, but that's probably because there is less funding for international students than domestic.

A note to everyone waiting for results: Take a minute right now to go for a walk, take a bath, hug the person you love, play with your dog, whatever it is that reminds you of the beauty in this world. The wait is the hardest part, but it's almost over. And whatever the results for you are, your life will go on to be rich and fulfilling. Take a breath, relax, and good luck to all!

I don't recall having an application asking for such information except for Wisconsin.  In fact, unless you want loans, there's really no reason to be filling out FAFSA or any other financial forms.  Funding is determined on merit, not need at all.  You get what they offer.

Regarding funding, do programs ask for financial records, bank statements, taxes etc., when determining how much cha-ching to give to a student? I remember on my applications they asked a similar question about how much personal savings I have available for school. 

IIRC, none of the schools I applied to requested any information regarding my finances. I'm under the impression that the majority of programs will offer funding to admitted students regardless of financial status. I do vaguely remember questions about marital status, although I'm not sure if that was used to calculate my funding packages.

A note to everyone waiting for results: Take a minute right now to go for a walk, take a bath, hug the person you love, play with your dog, whatever it is that reminds you of the beauty in this world. The wait is the hardest part, but it's almost over. And whatever the results for you are, your life will go on to be rich and fulfilling. Take a breath, relax, and good luck to all!

I ditto that. Good luck to all! Except those stealing 'my' spot in programs I have applied to. ;) 

It feels good to have app season over and done with. 

Sounds like good news, Heimat! Which school? Now, its time to put on a bow tie, impress your POI during your Skype interview and add one more acceptance letter to your pile.

IIRC, none of the schools I applied to requested any information regarding my finances. I'm under the impression that the majority of programs will offer funding to admitted students regardless of financial status. I do vaguely remember questions about marital status, although I'm not sure if that was used to calculate my funding packages.

First off, hi everyone.

Also, yeah, only two of my apps asked about financials, and that was only a box to check that I wanted to be considered for fellowships. Other than that there was just some standard stuff on the history pages about filling out the FAFSA eventually and what not.

Hi HistoryMystery! Glad to have another CA resident on the board :) also, love your profile image...I'm so behind on that show :( what's your field and where are you applying, if you don't mind me asking?

Heimat--I think we are all paranoid at this point, so totally understandable!

Let's all enjoy the last week or so before chaos begins!

Tell me about it. Has anyone had an interesting email traffic? Odd POI requests? 

A couple weeks ago I got an email from one school saying that they didn't have my study abroad transcripts. The next email in my inbox was time-stamped about 20 minutes later from the same school: "oops, we found it!"

Also, I'm taking a graduate readings course this semester! (I'm still in undergrad.) I know the professor pretty well and I'm really excited for the class, but for all of you with MAs, is there anything I should know going in or any helpful ways to approach these kinds of courses?

That's good news about the emails.  As for graduate work, the expectations are higher.   One thing I'd recommend is read intelligently, i.e. don't get caught in the detail weeds.  Read for the argument first, fill in details later.  Anyone else have ideas? 

Your opinions matter--don't be afraid to speak up. Not every grad student is [insert deity]'s gift to history. That being said, pay attention to discussions and use them as a learning experience because plenty grad students are good at what they do, and the ones that aren't can be lessons for you by the very fact that they are challenged. Try to be humble and don't feel the need to fill every silent moment--that's something I really get irritated by (and something many grad students feel the need to do). It really shuts out students that need the quiet to gather their thoughts and courage to speak.

Remember...your prof let you in the class because you SHOULD be there.

Hi! I'm new to the forum. I mainly have been using gradcafe to check the results page (and refreshing it about every 3 minutes) but I thought I would say hi and good luck!

Hello rmw, we are pleased to have you join in our insanity ;)

If you're willing to share, I'd love to hear what your field is and where you applied :) I do modern U.S., with an emphasis on war and conflict.

oh haha yeah that would have been helpful!

I'm 19th century U.S./Modern Atlantic World. I applied to Georgetown, Yale, UMD-College Park, UVA, Johns Hopkins, NYU, Northwestern, UConn for Ph.D and UMass Amherst for Masters. No responses yet, unfortunately.