Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

Well, I thought I was dealing okay with anxiety, but considering my top choice has posted three interviews in the last week and I've heard nothing from them....I am starting to lose hope......

Well, I thought I was dealing okay with anxiety, but considering my top choice has posted three interviews in the last week and I've heard nothing from them....I am starting to lose hope......

One of my top three choice programs sent out invites for recruitment events to 3-4 ppl on here and I didnt get one =/ I know how you feel. 

Did Notre Dame request for an interview?

Is an interview a component of Penn's application process?  Last year's thread seems to indicate that it is.  For those of you out there who applied to Penn, have you received any requests for an interview?

Yes, they do have interviews. Not sure if they are necessary/ a prerequisite to acceptance.

That is, assuming you mean Penn State. I don't know about uPenn.

Edited by tipmar

For the people hearing back already, has anyone heard rumors of overall application numbers for your programs? Just curious if the decline in overall applications will continue for this season.

There's still plenty of programs that haven't started notifying and plenty of time for programs to notify guys! Try not to psyche yourself out. Keep in mind we aren't even in February yet, and that's when most programs will get back to us.

jump4444-- I didn't hear anything from MSU about number of applicants. I had heard from different schools that there was a drop last year, no clue if that's continued this year although anecdotal evidence suggests it has at some places.

OSU hovered around 200 or so for this year.  It's definitely a drop from 2010-2014 but have been told that this 200 range is actually normal when there aren't tons of people freaking out about finding something during bad economic times ;)

I haven't heard anything from U Penn, and I haven't seen anything posted either. FYI the rolling admissions at the University of Glasgow's War Studies MLitt program (2014) got back to me in three weeks, and they said that was a longer wait than they would have liked.

Completely spoiled me. Good luck everyone!

Edited by JJWS

Anyone listening to some good tunes? I'm stuck on Phantogram and Cage the Elephant right now. Also going back to my rap roots with some Mac Dre and Andre Nickatina. I can't even do any work or reading unless I'm listening to loud music.

Ive been addicted to Atmosphere, Landon Wordswell, and Prolyphic & Reanimator (all rap) lately, switching interchangeably between the three. Atmosphere, especially, writes a lot of deep, profound lyrics that I love spacing out to in the late late evenings. Look up either Arthur's Song, The Waitress, or Always Coming Back to You, by Atmosphere. 

Hey, I discovered this site when I applied to PhD programs five years ago, and it helped inform me that I had no chance of being accepted. I was in fact not accepted. But one masters degree, two foreign languages, some seriously improved GRE scores, and a great project idea later I'm applying again. This time 11 programs. I've had some good news so far - an informal interview at one great school (seemed to go well), and a call from another great school saying that the only reason they don't think they can take me is that one of the professors I had hoped to work with will no longer be taking new graduate students - but they'll see what they can do. I'll take this as a hint that people are in fact reading my application.

To everyone on here who has spent these past few weeks (and will continue to spend the next month or two) with these decisions weighing them down, just know that whatever happens is at this point largely out of our hands, and that these decisions don't really reflect on our actual ability to do historical work. There are just a few spots for a lot of really intelligent people. Either way, you can always improve your chances for the next year or apply again a few years down the road if it doesn't work out.

But to everyone good luck. I hope you all get into at least one school.

To everyone on here who has spent these past few weeks (and will continue to spend the next month or two) with these decisions weighing them down, just know that whatever happens is at this point largely out of our hands, and that these decisions don't really reflect on our actual ability to do historical work. 

Hello and welcome!

I agree with your quote one hundred percent! I hate when my fate is in the hands of others =/ Thats why I loathe this... waiting -.-

Thanks, tipmar.  I was actually referring to UPenn. 

UPenn also interviews, usually by Skype. A pretty good number of people on here last year did interviews with them, but it was over a rather long period (2-3 weeks if I recall).

Anyone listening to some good tunes? I'm stuck on Phantogram and Cage the Elephant right now. Also going back to my rap roots with some Mac Dre and Andre Nickatina. I can't even do any work or reading unless I'm listening to loud music.

telkanuru -- The music video for the first song sold me. Also, love love love OK Go.

Thanks for the recommendations, LeventeL!

EDIT-- jeez I'm rude...welcome back nerdguy! Keep us posted on your applications :)

Edited by ashiepoo72

I've been listening to this beautiful lady: http://natalieclosner.bandcamp.com

I could (and do) listen to her all day long.