Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

I think he/she called them, so at least the POI was frank. That's all you can ask. Although I'm as eager to find out as the rest of you, I'm trying to avoid unnecessarily e-mailing or calling anyone. I think it annoys people more than anything. I'll wait until March before I resort to that.  

Yeah, that struck me as odd.

On the subject of odd, has anyone noticed that every year there is exactly one UChicago admit in the last three days of January and then the rest of the acceptances come 2 weeks later?

On the subject of odd, has anyone noticed that every year there is exactly one UChicago admit in the last three days of January and then the rest of the acceptances come 2 weeks later?

Sub-field differences/Scholarship nomination deadlines?

I'm chiming in because I'm on the super high anxiety bandwagon and it's getting worse. 

I had to schedule a meetings today with the person I want to work with (but who can't have anything to do with my app because of conflict of interest) and realized that one of the meetings would be for after I hear back from her program. I should hear back around Feb 15th and I have a meeting with her on both the 10th and the 18th (she is my boss). 

The worst part is that I know I could probably just ask her the status of my app but I have zero confidence that I'll be admitted so I don't want to be crushed quite yet :/ 

kateosee--welcome aboard. Anxiety is the name of the game ;) your situation sounds particularly stressful. I'm barely getting any work done at my job as it is (instead, I check my applications a million times). I can't imagine if my boss was also one of my POIs! What programs are you waiting to hear from?

Congrats to all the new admits!! Here's hoping more people get good news tomorrow :)

Hi ashiepoo 

Thanks! I'm applying to both American Culture and History/Women's Studies at Michigan. My POI is in all 3 depts and encouraged me to apply to both. (I only applied to Michigan this year as I didn't decide to apply to grad schools until around September. Whoops.) 

Congrats on the MSU admit- that's where I did my undergrad :) Do you mind if I ask who you want to work with there or what your subfield is? I was not a History undergrad but I was in related depts and knew quite a bit of the History faculty. 

Edited by kateosee

Have people started to hear back from UT-Austin? Some people reported receiving invites to 'Recruitment Weekend' and someone reported yesterday that they were accepted via email. I'm an international applicant so that may explain no invitation for a campus visit.

I've been in close contact with my POI and was also informally interviewed last October. However, I don't want to risk annoying her with an email asking about application decisions. It very well may be that we find out this weekend or the Monday/Tuesday after since that's when most people heard back last year.

I am also eager to know more from the Columbia admits! In 2014 and 2013 Columbia sent out acceptances in the 1st week of Feburary. But now it seems the notifications are sent a week earlier.

Does it mean that those who haven't yet heard back from Columbia only stand a slim chance? Have the impression that Columbia doesn't do wait list ....

So stressful!

I am also eager to know more from the Columbia admits! In 2014 and 2013 Columbia sent out acceptances in the 1st week of Feburary. But now it seems the notifications are sent a week earlier.

Does it mean that those who haven't yet heard back from Columbia only stand a slim chance? Have the impression that Columbia doesn't do wait list ....

So stressful!

Yes, can anyone comment on this?  It seems too early for Columbia.  

As far as timelines go, many schools are behaving differently this year than they did in previous years.  Not sure what that means in any way, just a trend I've noticed.  For example, Minnesota last year began notifying people this week.  This year there have been no reports. Now since it's self reporting that may be those people already accepted haven't posted yet.  We just don't know what meaning, if any, to attach to different patterns. 

Transcript now safely (oh how I hope) in the hands of a courier. There's one bit of anxiety sorted.

Ashiepoo, I totally meant When Soldiers Fall, I guess that's less recent now. It's on my reading list, do you recommend? :D

So stressful!

You should note that it is not unheard of for some people to deliberately troll the results reporting.

I'm applying to UCSB, JHU and Princeton; my topic is Sabbateanism and Early Modern Time philosohpy/intellectual history.

JHU history waitlisted me yesterday.Congrats to all who's been accepted! 

My interview with Emory was interesting. It's always nice to have a person-to-person conversation with your favorite POI. Decisions will perhaps come out in the next few weeks. Congrats to those accepted and good luck to the rest of you!

Looks like Harvard is sending out notices, at least rejections? Isn't it a bit early for them and wouldn't they have been impacted by the blizzard?

That would be really very early, and I'm pretty sure the committee hasn't sat yet.

And yes, everything was shut down on Tuesday.

Edited by telkanuru

the UCSB posts were POIs contacting their students, but not all POIs will do that. UCSB should be notifying by email next week-ish, so I'm not surprised that a few profs contacted some admits by phone before the official email gets sent out to the whole group.