Fall 2015 Applicants

dr. t

As I said, Die große Stille.

I am hoping for continued silence from Berkeley next week. Out of my apps, Harvard, Chicago, Toronto, and Brown should all send out on the 9-10th.

Do you know about the funding situation in Toronto? I understand they are strong in my field and applied as a matter of fact, but I am never sure about how funding works in Canada compared to US institutions...

Do you know about the funding situation in Toronto? I understand they are strong in my field and applied as a matter of fact, but I am never sure about how funding works in Canada compared to US institutions...

$15k CAN stipend IIRC. But only 2 slots for Int'l applicants direct to PHD. No funding for the MA portion for internationals.

They do two rounds of admits, so again, don't freak out if you don't hear back right away.

This seems fairly standard for state schools - first round for university fellowships, second for regular funding with TA obligations.

Hey guys,

Congrats to everyone who's had good news so far, and commiserations to those who've had the opposite. 

I've been lurking since fall, and it's finally time to unleash my nerves on someone other than my friends/flatmate/parents/partner in crime. (Or at least split the anxiety... I'm a month into job-hunting limbo, so my whole life kinda revolves around waiting for good news!!)

Current crisis: my MA transcript didn't make it to UC Davis!! I'm not sure whether to blame Royal Mail or the USPS (I'm Canadian, so no allegiances either way) but LSE swears up and down that they sent the thing in mid-December, so it must've fallen off a mail truck somewhere along the way. Davis needs it by 4 Feb to mark my app complete (otherwise, no chance at funding)... So tomorrow I get to spend my last pennies on courier service from London to California. 

Is anyone else doing Dry January? After this manic week, I'm so looking forward to a beer...

Congrats to the second Oklahoma admit!

ellebe--welcome! Sorry to hear about the transcript! Keep us posted on how that works out. My transcript to Davis arrived late, so I know how nerve-wracking that is. Worst part--you think you're done with applications, but nooo...the stress continues!

What is this "dry January" you speak of? If I couldn't grab the occasional beer after class, I would probably lose my mind (ok, lose it more). If you don't mind my asking, what's your field?

Hey guys,

Congrats to everyone who's had good news so far, and commiserations to those who've had the opposite. 

I've been lurking since fall, and it's finally time to unleash my nerves on someone other than my friends/flatmate/parents/partner in crime. (Or at least split the anxiety... I'm a month into job-hunting limbo, so my whole life kinda revolves around waiting for good news!!)

Current crisis: my MA transcript didn't make it to UC Davis!! I'm not sure whether to blame Royal Mail or the USPS (I'm Canadian, so no allegiances either way) but LSE swears up and down that they sent the thing in mid-December, so it must've fallen off a mail truck somewhere along the way. Davis needs it by 4 Feb to mark my app complete (otherwise, no chance at funding)... So tomorrow I get to spend my last pennies on courier service from London to California. 

Is anyone else doing Dry January? After this manic week, I'm so looking forward to a beer...

Misplaced transcripts seem to be a fairly common issue. I had this happen with my Stanford application. However, Stanford was more understanding. The person I talked to said it was alright since I uploaded a digital unofficial copy as well. 

I can also relate to the limbo feeling you described! Having graduated from undergrad in December, I now have too much time on my hands. I was already obsessively checking my email. But when I found this site a few days ago, I began obsessively checking the grad results page too. It just doubles my anxiety! 

Whoo!! Thanks guys  :)

On the bright side, everyone at Davis/LSE has been really nice about this. Very reassuring to deal with cool people on the inside. Doubt I'd be nearly as awesome about handling rapid fire emails from a frazzled applicant.

Maybe Dry January is just a UK thing? (Can anyone confirm?) It's exactly what it sounds like: no booze till the clock strikes midnight on Saturday. Last night we paired steak with ginger ale. Blaspheme. 

Ashiepoo, I'm shifting gears towards 20th c US cultural history (post-WWII and mainly post-Vietnam cultures of violence if we're getting down to the nitty gritty). 

Also, dumb newbie question: where are all of these magical results coming from (apart from you fantastic people reporting on this thread)?

Ah cheers Heimat, found it. Wow. Just seeing the word "accepted" that many times is enough to get a girl's heart pounding... Also, totally get what you mean about exploring other programs at this point. Is it too early for back-up plans?

Knomina, it's crazy, eh?! The weirdest thing about job hunting at this stage is not knowing how long you can realistically commit to a role. 

Thanks Ashiepoo! I think Professor Casey may have been on sabbatical while I was at LSE; I definitely didn't meet him, but I think he supervised a friend who attended the year before I did. Have you read his most recent book? It looks really interesting! Also, how cool would it be if some of us ended up crossing paths at conferences in the future?

Don't get ahead of yourselves, guys! A back-up plan is always good, but it's still so so early in the process. Plenty of schools haven't finished admissions decisions. One prof I spoke to last year told me his department doesn't even start looking at applications til late January/early Feb.

I read Selling the Korean War and When Soldiers Fall (is that the new book you're talking about? It was published in 2013). He's right in my wheelhouse :)

I work at a high school, and this afternoon I was told we're having a snow day for the third day in a row--ANY other week this would be cause for celebration, but now I'll just be vaguely nauseous and on GradCafe all day adlgkjhdflgkjhdlfkg.

(pssst if the Columbia admit is here and wants to let us know what their field is and who emailed them... I for one would LOVE to know!)

Condolences to the person who was called by the Brown POI, I can see how they thought it was nice but just seems kinda cruel!

I think he/she called them, so at least the POI was frank. That's all you can ask. Although I'm as eager to find out as the rest of you, I'm trying to avoid unnecessarily e-mailing or calling anyone. I think it annoys people more than anything. I'll wait until March before I resort to that.