William Paterson Decisions

Hi everyone!

I'm sure those of you who applied to William Paterson are anxiously awaiting decisions due to the email sent out last week from Dr. Magaldi. Today is the last day of the week, and we were told first round decisions would come out this week. 

I called up the graduate admissions office today and asked some general questions. I was basically informed that due to high turnout of applications for the program (an unavoidable and scary fact), decisions would most likely not be out this week.

I still am not convinced, solely because my thought process is as follows: why send out an email about first decisions going out if they actually would not be? Wouldn't that cause the department to receive an abundance of phone calls/emails from anxious applicants?

Either way, I figured I would post this here and inform everyone of the information I was given. Hopefully, I am wrong and some of us here back today/soon!

Thank you for posting this! I was wondering why we hadn't heard yet. I got an email from them today and got super excited but then it was just an invitation to the Counseling open house. Not what I wanted! Haha

Do you know whether we will get emails or a letter in the mail?

I kind of wish they hadn't sent that email last week at all so we wouldn't have been anxiously awaiting replies all week!  Whether they send decisions today or not, at least it doesn't seem like they have released any up until now since nothing has been posted on the results page.. WP is a smaller, more local program so maybe its just that no one who posts on gradcafe got a reply, but I'm thinking its the former.

Thank you for posting this! I was wondering why we hadn't heard yet. I got an email from them today and got super excited but then it was just an invitation to the Counseling open house. Not what I wanted! Haha

Do you know whether we will get emails or a letter in the mail?

I am really not too sure! For some reason I was under the assumption that it was mail, but I have no idea why.

I kind of wish they hadn't sent that email last week at all so we wouldn't have been anxiously awaiting replies all week!  Whether they send decisions today or not, at least it doesn't seem like they have released any up until now since nothing has been posted on the results page.. WP is a smaller, more local program so maybe its just that no one who posts on gradcafe got a reply, but I'm thinking its the former.

I completely agree with you! And the woman I talked to on the phone made it seem like it would be a while until we do hear back! Wah :(

@Stephanie2323 - It appears they are from what I can see in this forum, I am still waiting as well (my App wasn't 'complete' at WPU until mid-January when I got back to school due to some administrative missteps (on the "origin" end, let's leave it at that  :angry: ) ... but some of my classmates have already heard back - All rejections thus far, sadly.  But that matches what I've seen here - the 1st notifications appearing 3/10 - 3/14...

@finjslp - Congratulations !!!

All - an earlier post said WPU was sending out their notifications in "rounds" .. if anyone knows the context of what that means, I am all ears.  Also, I am an NJ resident attending school out of state.  Anyone know if WPU favors the non NJ student more than the NJ student?  (similar to what I read in an earlier post about Montclair State and its love for the "outside of NJ" applicant pool)...

@finjslp - Can you tell me when your App was "complete" at WPU?  Just trying to gauge when I might hear back from them ... (assuming its sequential)... 

Or anyone else, regardless of admissions status.  E.g., if last week's notifications were from Apps that were complete back in ... mid / late December 2013?

Thanks.  Really want to get into WPU, its my 1st choice.

@Greyhound, my applicaton for WPU was complete around the last week of January. But my application on CSDCAS wasn't verified until a few weeks later. I haven't heard anything from them yet..

@finjslp - Can you tell me when your App was "complete" at WPU?  Just trying to gauge when I might hear back from them ... (assuming its sequential)... 

Or anyone else, regardless of admissions status.  E.g., if last week's notifications were from Apps that were complete back in ... mid / late December 2013?

Thanks.  Really want to get into WPU, its my 1st choice.

Sure! My application was complete with CSDCAS on December 14th. I think waited until about December 31st I believe for it to be verified and a few days after that for it to be mailed. I got an email from William Paterson on February 26th stating that they got my application and it was under review.

Hi everyone!

I'm sure those of you who applied to William Paterson are anxiously awaiting decisions due to the email sent out last week from Dr. Magaldi. Today is the last day of the week, and we were told first round decisions would come out this week. 

I called up the graduate admissions office today and asked some general questions. I was basically informed that due to high turnout of applications for the program (an unavoidable and scary fact), decisions would most likely not be out this week.

I still am not convinced, solely because my thought process is as follows: why send out an email about first decisions going out if they actually would not be? Wouldn't that cause the department to receive an abundance of phone calls/emails from anxious applicants?

Either way, I figured I would post this here and inform everyone of the information I was given. Hopefully, I am wrong and some of us here back today/soon!

I saw from your signature that you got in! I have a quick question for you. I got an email from Dr. Magaldi on March 10th saying that I have until March 24th to make my decision about attending. But then I got an email from the Graduate School on March 14th saying that I have until April 24th to decide. Do you know which date is accurate?

@finjslp - Thanks so much.  Mine wasn't totally complete and verified until early/mid January (before the 15th) but I got a 2/26 email as well saying the same thing... so much for my theory on the scheduling of notifications!  Ugh.  The waiting is horrible.

@finjslp - Thanks so much.  Mine wasn't totally complete and verified until early/mid January (before the 15th) but I got a 2/26 email as well saying the same thing... so much for my theory on the scheduling of notifications!  Ugh.  The waiting is horrible.

I think they do rounds (accept some people, wait for responses, accept some people, wait). So there is still hope! Good luck! :)

WPU was on Spring Break this past week, so hopefully next week, notification activity will pick up its pace.

By the way - does anyone know where WPU's Graduate Admissions rates or stats are posted for the communication disorders program?

How many applicants do they typically accept out of how many Applicants overall?  I think I read somewhere the class size was 48 or so.

@finlsjp - Thanks for your thoughtfulness.... it will definitely benefit one of us out here somewhere :-)

All - Sorry if I am being a captain obvious but a quick check of 2013 WPU notification results would seem to indicate the March 2014 notifications were a lot EARLIER than last year. Those same results seem to indicate that WPU accepts a microscopically small # of kids that did not attend their undergraduate programs...

So... combined with the small size of the program overall, .... I am hoping they found a way to expand the # of spots in their program, to meet a bit more of the obviously increased demand (which all SLP / CD programs are apparently seeing).

Everyone - Please, if you don't want to go to this place, let them know as soon as you can (like finjlsp did), to free up spots for us local kids that really do want to go there. Thanks!!

@finlsjp and @argslp - Just checking back-in on this thread.  Still haven't heard anything and apparently no one else here (at TGC) has either since the notifications sent on or about 3/10.  Starting to lose hope that they already filled their few slots and are now taking their time with the "sad path" notifications (rejections and wait lists).

Unlike nearly every other NJ school I've called, it's also nearly impossible to get anyone on the phone over at WPU (in the CSD dept). for the last couple of weeks.  I just want to ask one question.  Frustrating.

Anyways - quick question - before your notification, did your online application / admissions status change at WPU (if you checked)?  

My own has no status at all other than some of my personal details (name, phone #, etc...) and I don't know if that means "processed" or something else is amiss that I didn't see before ... I am 99.999% sure my App was considered complete when I had checked through the common App.  I'd taken an undergraduate class at WPU a couple of years back, so hopefully nothing's been confused with that record.

Thanks and continued good luck on making your decisions on where to attend.

Edited by Greyhound111

@finlsjp and @argslp - Just checking back-in on this thread.  Still haven't heard anything and apparently no one else here (at TGC) has either since the notifications sent on or about 3/10.  Starting to lose hope that they already filled their few slots and are now taking their time with the "sad path" notifications (rejections and wait lists).

Unlike nearly every other NJ school I've called, it's also nearly impossible to get anyone on the phone over at WPU (in the CSD dept). for the last couple of weeks.  I just want to ask one question.  Frustrating.

Anyways - quick question - before your notification, did your online application / admissions status change at WPU (if you checked)?  

My own has no status at all other than some of my personal details (name, phone #, etc...) and I don't know if that means "processed" or something else is amiss that I didn't see before ... I am 99.999% sure my App was considered complete when I had checked through the common App.  I'd taken an undergraduate class at WPU a couple of years back, so hopefully nothing's been confused with that record.

Thanks and continued good luck on making your decisions on where to attend.

Are you referring to the CSDCAS website? Because that's how I applied for WPU and from what I know there's no way to check status through that - it's really just a middle man that forwards your app over and the schools are responsible for the rest unfortunately

Are you referring to the CSDCAS website? Because that's how I applied for WPU and from what I know there's no way to check status through that - it's really just a middle man that forwards your app over and the schools are responsible for the rest unfortunately

I was confused when I read that, as well. The CSDCAS application lets you know when your application is mailed, but there's no further information posted after that.

Called over to WPU today and finally got someone to answer the phone who at least was sympathetic to our plight here, and knew enough to tell me that...

...this is their 1st year processing people's Apps through CSDCAS (instead of direct with the school I assume)... and that the general graduate admissions dept that had handled the CSD students in years past ... wasn't doing that anymore ... it's all in the hands of the CSD dept personnel now (the woman kept stating that she couldn't tell me anything about me or anyone else's status)... and the CSD personnel are the ones that haven't been answering their listed phones for weeks...

and that same nice person I spoke to said ... checking App status online w/the WPU web site directly was pretty much useless (cause of the CSDCAS thing) ... and at least 1 of the 3 people she referred me to via phone ... was on VAC this week... bless her, at least she new enough to pour cold water on my hopes for hearing any time soon.

So between changing their admissions process or mechanism in the last year, Spring Break getting in the way, and perpetual out of office schedules of the folks making the decisions that matter the most ... it's getting too old for me now.

My gut is that WPU just has everyone else not notified in the March 10 "wave" on an unofficial wait list of sorts (without bothering to notify anyone) until they get their ducks in a row and figure out what they're doing.

They're such a small local program, maybe they have enough commits already.

The epitome of frustration.

Edited by Greyhound111