driving license

The quick, but unhelpful answer is that it probably depends on the state -- each state has control over driving. Your best bet is to go to that state's department of motor vehicles website. The information should be there.

I'm spoken to other International students who lived in NY and they said they had to a) pass a written and a driving test, and B) give up their international license (which was something they were displeased with), so they just planned to tell anyone who pulled them over that they had only been in town for the appropriate amount of time (it was more than 10 days in NY, but I don't remember what it was). Apparently, it's an easier process in NJ, so if you live outside of the city, that might be more helpful.

• 4 weeks later...

The rules regarding the driving licence vary from stat to state. Hence, the best source of information would be Automobile Law of a particular state availabe at the department of motor vehicles of any state.

But as for the sate of Ohio, your international driving permit is valid for one year after your entry into US. Within this one year, you can get the state driving permit. But in order to get the state's driving permit, u have to forfeit ur IDP.

• 2 months later...

When I lived in Wyoming, I could drive on my foreign license for up to 1 year. However, I decided to get a WY license so I'd have proper ID without the need to carry my passport all the time.

It was ridiculously easy: I downloaded the Wyoming Driving Code, studied it for 2 or 3 hours; then I went to DMV, waited in the line for 20 minutes, took a written test (15 ming), waited another half an hour, took a photograph and digitialy signed a form and then underwent the road test: 15 minutes, I passed then got temporary license on the spot. Definitive license came by mail 3 weeks after.

No appoitments, just a $ 20 fee, no hassle, no red tape :) I loved it: American efficiency.

Btw, I miss Laramie, Wyoming, a lot.

Hi,

I just took my driving test today, in Missouri and as mentioned earlier it all went pretty smoothly and extremely fast !

Written test, followed by vision test and by driving test... and I got my temporary license 2h after arriving at the local DMV.

Nevertheless, I have a question for you other international students: is it normal that I only got a 1-year driver license although my F-1 visa is valid for 5 years? Shouldn't I have had a 3-year one (in Missouri either 3y or 6y)?

Thanks in advance for your answer on this !

• 4 weeks later...
I have a question for you other international students: is it normal that I only got a 1-year driver license although my F-1 visa is valid for 5 years? Shouldn't I have had a 3-year one (in Missouri either 3y or 6y)?

I got my drivers License in 2007, and it is valid till 2014. Recently (2008 Nov) Texas changed their policy on non-immigrants, if you are in F-1 status then your I-94 issued for I-20 d/o which is for duration of stay. If this is the case your new drivers license expires after 1 year and you need to go to the local DPS office to renew it after showing your proof of status (I-20). I guess this is the case of Missouri too!!!

My wife also on the same boat. They posted a red line in the drivers license saying temporary visitor. Luckily she got her state ID before this law............ :D

jaya..

• 6 months later...

I've recently rented a car in NY state with my International Driving License (I've been here since August) and had no trouble with it. I thought of getting a NY's license, but I was discouraged by the fact that I had to give in my national driving license (even when they can give it back to you when you return to your country if you ask them to). I know it doesn't work like that in other states. Some people told me that you can just hide the fact that you already own a driving license and pretend that it's the first one for you. But I'm not sure how legal that is.

My best advice is that you call the DMV and explain your personal situation. Nobody better than them to inform you of this.

Hello!

I have a question a bit different.

For now, I can't drive. But I really want to get a driving license once in the US. So my question is: how can we learn how to drive?

I have heard (but I'm not sure) that usually the Americans are taught by their parents. Is that true? Are there like driving teachers (and how much does it cost), or am I supposed to learn with a friend?

Hello!

I have a question a bit different.

For now, I can't drive. But I really want to get a driving license once in the US. So my question is: how can we learn how to drive?

I have heard (but I'm not sure) that usually the Americans are taught by their parents. Is that true? Are there like driving teachers (and how much does it cost), or am I supposed to learn with a friend?

I also am probably going to be in the same situation...can anyone help with info

I did my undergrad in Kansas. I studied, took the written and driving tests, passed, got a temporary license and had to pick up the permanent one 2 weeks later. My D/S on the I-94 was approximately 4 years, but the license was valid for 6 years. (Still valid. Love it. However, it will expire 2 months before going back to the US. Shoot.)

does anyone know if an international driving license is valid in the U.S? someone told me i will have to take a driving test although i already have a license in my country...

Thanks!

JUST RETAKE IT IN THE US. IT'S EASY TO PASS IF YOU ALREADY HAVE IT IN YOUR COUNTRY.

Yes, usually in the US parents teach their kids how to drive, but there are also driving schools/teachers. You can usually just find them in the phone book. I'm not sure about the cost. Or you could just have a friend teach you.

Yes, usually in the US parents teach their kids how to drive, but there are also driving schools/teachers. You can usually just find them in the phone book. I'm not sure about the cost. Or you could just have a friend teach you.

Ok, thanks. It seems pretty simple. Cool :)