NOT EVEN ONE ACCEPTANCE YET? LETS VENT HERE!!

So I decided to do some research to a question that has been bogging my mind, GPA calculations. Two of my schools are on an ABCD scale vs using any sort of plus or minus. The school I graduated from counts pluses and minus's and they can hurt or improve your GPA significantly. I found out today that my last two hopes for grad school,second time applicant, count my A- 's as a 4.0 which gives me a 4.0 in my CSD classes and a 3.85 overall!! This helps me a lot! For the first time in forever I have some hope! Does this help anyone else? Good luck to everyone and congrats on enduring one of the toughest admissions processes out there!

For the first time in forever I have some hope! Does this help anyone else? Good luck to everyone and congrats on enduring one of the toughest admissions processes out there!

Cue the Frozen soundtrack. I swear I've watched it 9 times since I bought it. It's my only distraction :(

Arrgghh!

Today I had two missed calls from Bowling Green, Kentucky. I live in Washington state so it's not like I get phone calls from KY often (especially from a town where I am applying to graduate school). I was thrilled when I saw the phone number! I called back immediately only to find out it was some kind of utilities marketing company. They called again later this evening. My boyfriend answered the phone, rushed to give it to me and said "Your grad school is on the phone". Nope. It was the same marketing company wanting me to take a survey.

Of all places, why did it have to be a marketing company from Kentucky? Are they trying to torture me? lol

That's awful, I'm sorry :(

Another day, still no news...*sigh*

Do you have any idea of when you might hear some news?

I don't think I will hear from ISU or Northern Colorado until April, but I think this week could be the week for WKU.

I still have three schools left to hear from and it literally makes me want to scream.  

Same here! I really thought I would hear from all of my schools by this week. Feeling pretty stressed! 

How do you know your parents won't be disappointed in you if you don't get in?  I'm jealous of you guys.  It sounds like you have nice supportive families.  Mine act like if I don't get it in it'll be the end of the world and started threatening me if I don't apply for everything in my state (CA). 

@ballerina 18, not sure when I'll hear from MSU or WMU, but EMU has (in the past) waited until April 2-4 generally. GVSU, I interviewed last week and they said I'd hear (hopefully) by Friday. But this waiting game is awful! I just want to know already!

@rainsonata , my parents have always been tough on me but I think that they just feel like I'm going to be extra upset (and apparently that I'll lose confidence) if I don't get in somewhere. I think that they would have been harder on me with things like college but they know that I've done my best in my undergrad- I've made Dean's list all but 2 semesters- and they probably feel like they're worried I'll think my best "wasn't good enough" when really, if I don't get in, it's probably because I applied to only out-of-state schools (that only pick generally in-state applicants) and then I'll just try again...if any of that makes sense. And I apologize for the crazy long sentence I just produced.

At least your parents trust you...  I'm treated like a criminal and that I'm a horrible person for thinking of applying out of state.  They're manipulative and they try to make me feel guilty for wanting to go away from them.  They use phrases like "if you leave your poor mom is going to die young" and "don't you love your poor brother"? 

The only reason why I stay with them is to take advantage of finance for undergrad and use it for graduate school.  Once I get into the slp field, I'm getting out of here, far away.  That's why I study so hard, so I can get into a good school far from my house and so I can get into the best program for my interests. 

Edited by rainsonata

When I started the application process I warned my parents of the possibility that I wouldn't get in. At first, they thought I must have messed around and didn't take my classes seriously. Once I gave them my stats and explained that although they are good, they aren't excellent, and there are so many people out there with 4.0 GPAs, they started to come around. Now that they've seen how much I have been stressing out the last few months, they have been so supportive.

Speaking of stressing out..... I still don't know if it was good for me to have found this website, since I check the admissions thread MANY times each day along with my email. Anyone else thing that this site is both a blessing and a curse??

Speaking of stressing out..... I still don't know if it was good for me to have found this website, since I check the admissions thread MANY times each day along with my email. Anyone else thing that this site is both a blessing and a curse??

I am constantly checking back and forth from this forum, the results page, and my e-mail. It's a continuous loop until something changes or until I need to nanny/go to class. It's driving me insane! I am trying to do other things to keep grad decisions off my mind, but anything I do somehow reminds me of waiting for decisions. 

I am constantly checking back and forth from this forum, the results page, and my e-mail. It's a continuous loop until something changes or until I need to nanny/go to class. It's driving me insane! I am trying to do other things to keep grad decisions off my mind, but anything I do somehow reminds me of waiting for decisions. 

Exactly! I have tabs up on my computer, my phone, and my tablet at all times for them! And even now, between classes, I am in a computer lab listening to the Frozen soundtrack and looking up plan B ideas while refreshing the results page and my email!

Exactly! I have tabs up on my computer, my phone, and my tablet at all times for them! And even now, between classes, I am in a computer lab listening to the Frozen soundtrack and looking up plan B ideas while refreshing the results page and my email!

Agreed. I'm way too obsessed with checking it and it probably stresses me out more than not having it at all! 

@nata25 congrats on getting on the wait list for IU! That's where I'm at for undergrad and it's amazing! :) Good luck and hopefully you'll get a couple of acceptances and/or get off a wait list :) 

@rainsonata - there's only ONE in state program where I'm from (Maine) so that's just the case. I also left Maine for my undergrad (which is in Arkansas) so that's how they're not really caring where I am, they just want me to be happy.

I am seriously losing my mind not knowing about graduate school. I need an acceptance. I am from Georgia but trying to move to the Chicago area but am getting very discouraged.

Rejected= Northern Illinois and Governors State  

Waitlisted = Saint Xavier University 

Still waiting to hear from= Midwestern University, South Florida University, and Valdosta State University

I need some words of encouragement.

I am seriously losing my mind not knowing about graduate school. I need an acceptance. I am from Georgia but trying to move to the Chicago area but am getting very discouraged.

Rejected= Northern Illinois and Governors State  

Waitlisted = Saint Xavier University 

Still waiting to hear from= Midwestern University, South Florida University, and Valdosta State University

I need some words of encouragement.

Hey kasey_co,

This really isn't a reflection of you as a student.  I feel like the Chicago area schools can be difficult to get into because so many people apply to them.  Example: I heard that St. Xavier had around 500 applicants this year, whereas SIUC (where I also applied, not in Chicago) had between 100-200.  I'm not trying to sound snotty or anything (because I really REALLY don't care about rankings), but I'll go ahead and type this anyway.  I got rejected from Governor's State and Elmhurst BUT got into Purdue, UIUC, and Northwestern.  How does that work?? Haha.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get too discouraged.  If you do have to reapply next year, maybe try to apply to some schools that don't get as many applicants.  (I head Florida schools traditionally get a lot of applicants too.)  

And - two things to make you feel better:

1) I'll most likely be turning down my SXU acceptance (maybe you'll get it)!!

2) Chicago winters suck. ;)  I mean, seriously, they SUCK.  You do NOT want to be here in the winter, ugh.

I agree!! I had a very vivid dream last night that my husband got accepted to UCA... Maybe it was a portent about decisions being released today. ;)

Hey, I just realized that THIS DREAM CAME TRUE!!!!  CRAZY! :)

Edited by twinguy7

Hey kasey_co,

This really isn't a reflection of you as a student.  I feel like the Chicago area schools can be difficult to get into because so many people apply to them.  Example: I heard that St. Xavier had around 500 applicants this year, whereas SIUC (where I also applied, not in Chicago) had between 100-200.  I'm not trying to sound snotty or anything (because I really REALLY don't care about rankings), but I'll go ahead and type this anyway.  I got rejected from Governor's State and Elmhurst BUT got into Purdue, UIUC, and Northwestern.  How does that work?? Haha.

Anyway, I guess what I'm trying to say is don't get too discouraged.  If you do have to reapply next year, maybe try to apply to some schools that don't get as many applicants.  (I head Florida schools traditionally get a lot of applicants too.)  

And - two things to make you feel better:

1) I'll most likely be turning down my SXU acceptance (maybe you'll get it)!!

2) Chicago winters suck. ;)  I mean, seriously, they SUCK.  You do NOT want to be here in the winter, ugh.

Thanks Latte!

That makes me feel better. I just really need to get into a Chicago school. I am not wanting to take a year off, but if I don't get accepted anywhere it looks like I might not have a choice. SXU is my first choice, but hopefully I will get an interview from Midwestern or something soon. Congrats on all of your acceptances that is awesome! I have been born  and raised in the south so the Chicago winter definitely is not something I am looking forward too. Thanks so much for your response it really does make me feel better! Good luck to you! :)