MA Thread

Ulixes

Lame! Here's hoping for Brandeis!

Thanks!

How were you notified of this? I still haven't heard anything from them. :/

By email, 4:40pm eastern. 

"Dear X,

I am very sorry to inform you that after careful consideration of your application we are not able to recommend your admission to our M.A. program.  The program is very competitive, and we must unfortunately turn away many good applicants.

I regret not having better news to convey.  Thank you for your interest in our program.

Sincerely yours,

Edward Hinchman"

Thanks for your thoughts. I definitely appreciate your perspective, and I'm considering all these factors. It's a tough choice. I'm hoping my visits might make things clearer. (Also, well-deserved up vote!)

I'm glad I was able to be helpful! (Also: why do all my upvotes come from posts where I give advice based on how I screwed up in the past? :-P )

I think Aduh is right that I was pessimistic--but intentionally so. It seemed as though you are looking to make a thorough list of the pros and cons, and, as many other people here have been emphasizing the pros of choosing Tufts, I felt like it might be helpful to list some of the cons as well.

Either way, I hope your visits go well and I hope your decision ends up making you happy!

For those who are going to be accepting an offer at an MA program:

What are the top aspects of an MA program you are considering while making your decision (if you got into more than 1 program)? there doesn't appear to be huge differences in areas of focus since most programs are still concerned with strengthening one's foundation, writing skills, etc. Also, there doesn't seem to be a set ranking between schools—I have looked at placement records...though they vary somewhat, some are pretty similar.

I've seen this: http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/maprog.asp but there is no real ranking going on or listing any specifics.

So for instance, what are some of the deciding factors between NIU and WMU? or between them and UWM? 

Does it mostly just come down to faculty or location? Obviously a funded offer would make a huge difference, but I assume that some on this board have received funded offers from more than 1 program...

This might be too open of a question—i know that the decision making process is different for everyone—but if you have any thoughts, i'd love to hear them.

What are the top aspects of an MA program you are considering while making your decision (if you got into more than 1 program)? there doesn't appear to be huge differences in areas of focus since most programs are still concerned with strengthening one's foundation, writing skills, etc. Also, there doesn't seem to be a set ranking between schools—I have looked at placement records...though they vary somewhat, some are pretty similar.

I've seen this: http://www.philosophicalgourmet.com/maprog.asp but there is no real ranking going on or listing any specifics.

So for instance, what are some of the deciding factors between NIU and WMU? or between them and UWM? 

Does it mostly just come down to faculty or location? Obviously a funded offer would make a huge difference, but I assume that some on this board have received funded offers from more than 1 program...

This might be too open of a question—i know that the decision making process is different for everyone—but if you have any thoughts, i'd love to hear them.

Personally, I would look at their placement records and see how effective they are in placing into schools that I am interested in. For instance, if X placed 1 student in Carnegie Mellon and Y placed 3 in that same school, then I would most likely choose Y.

Edited by Edit_Undo

What Edit_Undo said, and the things you mentioned: funding, faculty (if you're interested in anyone specifically),location (both for recreation and cost of living--Boston [Tufts, Brandeis] would have a much higher cost of living than, say, Milwaukee or Blacksburg [Virginia Tech]), and placement (especially into schools you're interested in). Personally, WMU scores well in all of those areas for me (except, perhaps, funding). Kalamazoo is a great place and near family, good placement, and I'd love to work with Timothy McGrew (and meet Lydia McGrew).

I can't really think of any other areas of concern when thinking about which offer to accept. Hands down, I'd go with whatever funding package is best (assuming there'll be one--if not, that complicates things). Are you trying to decide between departments?

"Email from Ted Hinchman. Low on waitlist." was posted on the results page for UW-Milwaukee. I'm wondering if they didn't specify my position, that I might be in the middle?

What are the top aspects of an MA program you are considering while making your decision (if you got into more than 1 program)? there doesn't appear to be huge differences in areas of focus since most programs are still concerned with strengthening one's foundation, writing skills, etc. Also, there doesn't seem to be a set ranking between schools—I have looked at placement records...though they vary somewhat, some are pretty similar.

Like Edit_Undo, I look at placement to programs of interest (e.g., relevant to AOI). I also try to get a feel of the program from current or recent grads from the program. More specifically I look for answers to the following questions: how supportive are the faculty members? how prepared did you feel for Phd programs as a result of your program? Do you feel that your phd apps will be/were competitive as a result of your MA program?

That said, this decision is pretty difficult for me. I'm attracted to all the programs in one way or another.  

That said, this decision is pretty difficult for me. I'm attracted to all the programs in one way or another.  

That definitely makes it hard. How are you deciding between them?

I apparently am absolutely shameless about soliciting news from programs: Brandeis should be putting out their acceptances and rejections soon.

On their waitlist.

That definitely makes it hard. How are you deciding between them?

I'm still aggregating positives and negatives on programs (trying to get student's perspectives on programs). In addition to the information I weigh (as I posted earlier) I'm visiting WMU's program next week, so hopefully that gives me a better feel of the environment. I'm also waiting on funding information from NIU. If the news is in my favor, I'll be leaning pretty heavily towards NIU (I know some folks there, all of whom have had great experiences there). That said, I'm still waiting on Milwaukee, Brandeis, and SFSU. So I'm withholding any final judgement on the matter. 

I'm still aggregating positives and negatives on programs (trying to get student's perspectives on programs). In addition to the information I weigh (as I posted earlier) I'm visiting WMU's program next week, so hopefully that gives me a better feel of the environment. I'm also waiting on funding information from NIU. If the news is in my favor, I'll be leaning pretty heavily towards NIU (I know some folks there, all of whom have had great experiences there). That said, I'm still waiting on Milwaukee, Brandeis, and SFSU. So I'm withholding any final judgement on the matter. 

That's smart; in the fullness of time you'll have some idea of which is better.

I apparently am absolutely shameless about soliciting news from programs: Brandeis should be putting out their acceptances and rejections soon.

On their waitlist.

Nice, I'm rooting for you. Also, I'm knowledgeable about that dept. so if you get off and have questions, feel free to message me.

I think by far the most important thing, as everyone has said, is placement record. You're going to an MA, I presume, because you want to get into as best of a program as possible, generally speaking. There are rumors that various different MA programs have ins at various PhD programs, so if you are interested in Department Y it *might* make sense to go to MA Program A if they've placed multiple kids to Y while MA Program B never has. (I say might, because may kids at Program B aren't interested in Department Y)

I do think though that there are huge differences in area of focuses, and that this is important to keep in mind. I didn't apply to Georgia State because looking at their faculty members and looking at what graduate courses have been offered in previous semesters, I'd probably end up leaving philosophy since they just don't have anything of interest to me. If I'm interested in phil science/sciency things, I'm going to want to go to Virginia Tech. If I'm interested in ethics or metaphysics, I'm probably going to check out UWM. If I'm interested in some sort of vanilla-LEMM-analytic philosophy, I'm going to NIU. Although that said, there is something to be said about branching out at your MA rather than specializing, so maybe you intentionally go somewhere different? But maybe not. It's up to you to decide.

You also want to keep this in mind, which is near to what Dialectica was saying. Ask how prepared 2nd years were when applying out. Most kids at NIU don't write a thesis. They do a series of pretty difficult exams. This means that it's up to you to get your writing sample down pat, which is by far the most important part of your application. Other places do things differently. At UWM, grad students in their second year take a writing workshop course basically structured around improving your writing sample, throughout your whole third semester. (And then you basically take this writing sample and make it your MA thesis your final semester.) Depending on what you want out of your MA program, one or other of these programs might be more appealing.

Nice, I'm rooting for you. Also, I'm knowledgeable about that dept. so if you get off and have questions, feel free to message me.

Thanks! I'll definitely be bending your ear if I get an offer. My brother-in-law lives in Boston, so we've been a couple of times; really nice city. I rented a bike to ride in their critical mass, and had an awesome time! (The beer's a bit expensive, though.)

I think Establishment raised some important points. Don't go to an MA program that you expect you'll be bored to tears at, but overall placement record is more important than AoI fit.

I think it's also good general advice to be open minded: I know someone from a very analytic undergrad whose adviser there mocked Hegel. She came to UWM interested in logic and philosophy of science. She's now writing her thesis on Hegel and has been admitted to three programs that are very strong in German Idealism and which all have good Hegel scholars. You're just as likely to change your interests at an MA as at a PhD (and you have all surely heard the old saw about interests changing) and it's a good opportunity to get a broader familiarity with philosophy at the graduate level. That's a really valuable experience. 

On top of that, unlike at a PhD program you won't have much more than two semesters to work closely with faculty you're interested in before you start the application process. It's even possible that the faculty member in your AoI that you really wanted to work with will be on sabbatical or some other form of leave during your first year.

Someone mentioned in another thread that even among the continental schools, the New School has a bad reputation, so that's why. I don't even do continental stuff and I've heard the stories of 10+ years to Phd and very little funding. Congrats on your acceptance, though, I hope it works out good for you and that these are only rumors!

I don't think that's the whole story. Not to contradict what you've heard, as it is rumor, but I think it's important for those interested in the program to consider this.

The new school must have an all right reputation as its MA program seems to have decent placement, e.g., there are maybe 2-3 students in the U Chicago doctorate program coming from the new school. Similarly, the chair of the BU program received a degree from the new school. The terrible funding is infamous, but it's possible to get full rides, as a few students from my SLAC have done. The professors I've encountered that hold degrees from the new school have been great as well. I'm by no means a new school defender, I'm just pointing out some positive impressions I've had. With that said, I will apply to the program come next year, then empirical evidence, Husserl archives, etc. Hope this helps those considering the program!