Ontario Graduate Scholarship

thepoorstockinger

Just an attempt to make sure I don't muck up the SSHRC thread.

Someone on livejournal says that the secretary at their department sent them an e-mail which said: "The website will be updated on Saturday, April 18, 2009 and students will be able to view their results on line shortly thereafter." Seems odd that it would be updated on a weekend so I don't know what to make of that.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just an attempt to make sure I don't muck up the SSHRC thread.

Someone on livejournal says that the secretary at their department sent them an e-mail which said: "The website will be updated on Saturday, April 18, 2009 and students will be able to view their results on line shortly thereafter." Seems odd that it would be updated on a weekend so I don't know what to make of that.

Out of curiosity, which livejournal community was this?

Hi all,

I found out today that I am ranked first on the OGS "reversion list" for doctoral students in Education. I wasn't able to glean much info from the fellowship office...so I'm hoping that someone has had some experience with this situation.

As I understand it, a certain percentage of students who are offered OGS in the first round turn it down (i.e., for SSHRC); thus the need for the "reversion" or waiting list. Being first on the reversion list sounds promising, but the woman in the office said something about "overawarding" OGS scholarships because there is a relatively high rate of refusal. So am I really first on the list, or do I have to hope that a greater number of students refuse the scholarship offer than the Ministry projected? The wording in the note is ambiguous, and I couldn't get a straight answer on the phone.

Bottom line, what are my chances? Has anyone been in a similar position?

Thanks in advance for your help, and good luck to everyone here.

Hi all,

I found out today that I am ranked first on the OGS "reversion list" for doctoral students in Education. I wasn't able to glean much info from the fellowship office...so I'm hoping that someone has had some experience with this situation.

As I understand it, a certain percentage of students who are offered OGS in the first round turn it down (i.e., for SSHRC); thus the need for the "reversion" or waiting list. Being first on the reversion list sounds promising, but the woman in the office said something about "overawarding" OGS scholarships because there is a relatively high rate of refusal. So am I really first on the list, or do I have to hope that a greater number of students refuse the scholarship offer than the Ministry projected? The wording in the note is ambiguous, and I couldn't get a straight answer on the phone.

Bottom line, what are my chances? Has anyone been in a similar position?

Thanks in advance for your help, and good luck to everyone here.

You will get it. Congrats!

The problem I see with knowing our ranks on the reversion lists is the lack of other information OGS gives us. Is there a general understanding of how many offers are tendered per discipline? I am in the top five for my discipline, but there is a huge difference in my chances if 3 or 13 offers were originally offered. I couldn't pry that info out of the woman I spoke to at the ministry, so I don't know if I should be confident or not.

Anyone have info on this sort of contextual information?

I had a similarly frustrating experience. I asked questions like, how many offers were tendered? How many students on the reversion list were offered OGS in my discipline last year? bla bla bla. No response. I've decided to get in touch with the awards office at my University to see if they can provide some context. Will let you know if I have any luck...

Hello again,

I spoke with someone in the awards office at my university today. She was surprised that I was told where I was ranked on the reversion list...I guess they haven't done that in past years. Unfortunately, she has no way of verifying that ranking as the Universities just get a listing of who was successful and who is on the reversion list (with no rankings attached). So, I guess we have to "trust" that the ranking we were given is accurate.

As for how many offers are tendered, apparently there is no way of finding out as it varies from year to year. Incidentally, there were over 12,000 applications for OGS this year.

Anyway, the awards officer seemed confident I would be offered something, but probably not until July/August. There is one person responsible for processing all of the OGS applications/acceptances, etc. (can you believe that?!?!), so it all takes time.

Hope that helps,

Scario

Aren't the rankings by division of study (not discipline)? The letter says "Separate reversion lists are maintained in rank order for each division of study." I was told I was ranked #8 and I assumed this was for my division (Social Science) and not my discipline. If it's the latter my chances are obviously much lower. Can anyone clarify?

So glad I found this site. I just found out I'm second on the reversion list for sociology - so I think it goes by discipline... I'll call the research services of my University and see if they have anymore info.

Congrats to everyone who did get an OGS!

The problem I see with knowing our ranks on the reversion lists is the lack of other information OGS gives us. Is there a general understanding of how many offers are tendered per discipline? I am in the top five for my discipline, but there is a huge difference in my chances if 3 or 13 offers were originally offered. I couldn't pry that info out of the woman I spoke to at the ministry, so I don't know if I should be confident or not.

Anyone have info on this sort of contextual information?

I am in a similar position, I am ranked number 3 on the reversion list but because of my obsessiveness I have been looking over the statistics since about December. I think it depends on which program you applied to... I applied to multi & interdisciplinary studies which usually is not awarded more than 15 awards every year. If this is the case (for this year) you might be able to figure out that most people applied for SSHRC and OGS - meaning that a few of those people will be awarded both. For those who applied to programs with much higher award payouts (probably Psych being one of them) your chances may be higher. I am just KICKING Myself for not applying in the same category as my department - environmental studies (I think I would have had much greater success there).

If you got forwarded by your school for the Vanier don't you automatically get a CGS? Best of luck with it!

Thanks. The letter given by our university only mentioned that I would be considered for a CGS if not offered a Vanier. And as someone posted earlier,

NSERC made some confusion about this. Anyway, I am still waiting for an official notification from NSERC.

Hello everyone,

I just signed up for this forum, and I have a question. I hadn't planned on posting at all, as I was just looking up what other people had heard about SSHRC, etc, however now I am confused. I have been placed on the OGS reversion list and when I called to find out my ranking I was told that I am sixth for Psychology. That seems weird now, as another person said that they were also told they were 6 for psychology? So now I am wondering, is there a separate list for each school? Or was I told the wrong rank?