How to Sign a Letter as a Phd Student

PsyDGirl

Hi Everyone,

I am writing my first letter on behalf of a client (to their insurance company) as an MA level counsellor / Phd student. What would be your suggestion(s) as to how to sign the letter? Should I say that I'm a phd student or should I just leave it as my MA credentials? Any suggestions you have would be helpful!

You can put "Your Name, M.A." (or other credentials). I've also seen PhDc for "candidate" as long as you've passed your comps.

Edited by iphi

I don't know what the letter's about but in this context it seems to me that's most relevant is your job title, e.g something like :

Name, M.A.

Counsellor, University of X Clinic

If it's about insurance it really doesn't matter that you're a PhD candidate.  (In academic emails I would definitely say "PhD candidate" though).

I strongly urge against using PhD Candidate until you are properly ABD. 

I see a lot of first and second years using it, and it reflects more poorly on them than if they didn't say anything, from what I've seen. 

I strongly urge against using PhD Candidate until you are properly ABD. 

I see a lot of first and second years using it, and it reflects more poorly on them than if they didn't say anything, from what I've seen. 

So, should first or second years just not say anything? Or is there another term to use? Just curious; thanks!

If I felt I needed something, I used "PhD Student". 

Generally, I think signatures are overused- chances are there's something in the body of the letter that indicates you're a PhD student, or the person you're e-mailing already knows. 

And for letters, if it's official, I'd put your other qualifications or nothing at all. 

The only time I'd put "PhD Student" is if it's a letter, say, for student benefits or something that needs the acknowledgement you're a student. 

• 2 weeks later...

Please never put "PhDc" or "ABD" after your name as if they are degrees. A PhD is a degree. "PhDc" is an ill-advised made-up designation that unfortunately is used by some really overeager students trying really hard to look advanced. Best case scenario, readers will roll their eyes and wonder if the person really understands that you shouldn't list a degree, especially with a made-up designation, until you earn it. Worst case scenario, the reader wonders what else you're padding/embellishing. "ABD" by definition obviously is not a degree and should never be placed as if it is.

As noted earlier, "PhD candidate" is acceptable if you actually have been admitted to candidacy, but it goes on the line BELOW your name, not after your name.

Finally, for the original purpose, MA is fine. The reader just wants to know your highest relevant degree and your role in the case, not that you're a year away from the PhD or whatever.