MD (Psychiatry) or PhD (Social Psychology)?

contemplate

I don't think you exactly know what an example is.

We decided to nitpick the point you mentioned and not the ones you didn't?... Shocking!!!

Edited by Guest

I don't think you exactly know what an example is.

We decided to nitpick the point you mentioned and not the ones you didn't?... Shocking!!!

Do you have a point to your responses besides piggybacking on the discussion in order to be an unnecessary asshole?

Cage, I am thinking that you may have misinterpreted what I meant by feeling outcasted. I was not meaning that the OP will be rejected or disrespected because of his/her views  (of course, this isn't impossible, it could happen, but it wasn't my point). I meant that he/she maye FEEL outcasted, meaning that they may feel like they are a part of a minority in their views, and since their view is unpopular (and actually threatening to the dominant view), then they may feel somewhat like an 'outcast' in their program or in the field. I'm thinking now that outcast may not have been the right term to use, but oh well.

• 9 months later...

So... Taking a step back from the philosophy of psychology debate, the different career paths you are considering are incredibly different. At this point, you should talk to *experts* (so not this forum) in each respective field and obtain their opinions of the matter before making a decision. Also, you have some fairly strong assumptions of what is typical of each field that are based on stereotypes rather than experience. For example, academia is very, sometimes overwhelmingly, social with daily interactions with students, faculty, administration, and even occasionally the media. Most faculty I know complain about TOO MUCH personal interactions (such as teaching and service duties) that interfere with getting work done. Also, professors rarely, if ever, collect data. Typically, even graduate students get to bypass this as undergraduates are usually extremely eager to gain research experience. Probably your first question should be: Do I want to help people directly or indirectly? This should differentiate academic versus therapic career goals. If you absolutely want to do each equally (via research and direct therapy) then consider clinical psychology as this field prides itself at being great at both. Second, choose a research or topic area/population of interest. This should be focused and even specific (although careful not to pigeon hole yourself). After you go through graduate school, then you will have the opportunity to be critical of the field and ask the "big" questions as you like (at least if you in academia). It is not wise or advisable to be this critical of psychology or any field at this point because you're still considered a novice and have A LOT to learn. Also, it's a bit insulting to tell a potential graduate school mentor that you think their field fails to measure up to your standards. If you're pursuing and applying/interviewing then you should be at least 99% on board with the current field norms and ideas until you've gain the sufficient training to give the field quality criticism.