Fall 2015 Applicants

Hello from a long-time lurker!

The news from NYU makes me anxious about my status... I had an interview with POI at NYU and she said they were going to make their collective decisions around mid-February. Perhaps it took place earlier than they planned?

Other things that I've received is a waitlisting at Toronto (I'm neither a Canadian nor a American and I didn't know that there's only few slot for internationals), and a presumed-rejection at Harvard (my POI emailed me on Feb 3 suggesting another MA program and said they were about to wrap up their decisions).

It's really hard to endure this lull before a storm. Seems like we are almost about to face the culmination of anxiety, whatever it would turn out to be....

Though it's still good that I can feel a certain kind of solidarity on this forum and assure myself that I'm not alone.

Wish the best for all of us!

In the meantime, do any of you guys have any news about U of Michigan? That's my top choice and I saw someone posted on the result page that s/he had an interview on Jan 27. Do you think it's genuine or a fake? I worry if no interview offer implies no hope for me...

I think upthread someone said that NYU had had one meeting and would be having another admit meeting on February 19th (per the NYU Anthro Dept calendar)...But I am disturbed by this: 

"My POI at NYU told me that the 8 acceptances were already sent out, so it looks like indeed they made the decisions earlier than they planned. Can I ask who was your POI there?"

(Sorry, I'm still a noob here and the multi-quote thing didn't work for me!   :) )

Soooo...Conflicting information probably just means I need to focus on my Bioanth of North America homework tonight instead of reading the forums here, huh?   :D 

I think upthread someone said that NYU had had one meeting and would be having another admit meeting on February 19th (per the NYU Anthro Dept calendar)...But I am disturbed by this: 

"My POI at NYU told me that the 8 acceptances were already sent out, so it looks like indeed they made the decisions earlier than they planned. Can I ask who was your POI there?"

(Sorry, I'm still a noob here and the multi-quote thing didn't work for me!   :) )

Soooo...Conflicting information probably just means I need to focus on my Bioanth of North America homework tonight instead of reading the forums here, huh?   :D 

Or... maybe they already choose 8 people and you're one of them, but don't know it yet? :D  My POI's e-mail is from yesterday (weekend!), but there is still hope that monday will bring good news for you!

Wish you the best!

Thanks for your kind words. :)

And I forgot asking about your POI at NYU in return. May I ask what are you going to study?

Faye Ginsburg, Thomas Abercrombie, Fred Myers. I'm interested (and had research on) memory studies with a political and visual approach in the southern Andes.

What about you?  :)

Or... maybe they already choose 8 people and you're one of them, but don't know it yet? :D  My POI's e-mail is from yesterday (weekend!), but there is still hope that monday will bring good news for you!

Wish you the best!

You too!  And Aaannnthrolling as well!  You never know, we might all end up in the same cohort!   :lol:

And perhaps you guys might have known of this, but UT Austin has been hiring a new ling faculty member (which I've learned of by subsribing to listserv of ling anth), so I assume that's why the graduate admission related news and results are late than previous years.... ...unless I'm the only one who has not been informed of.

I'd appreciate any news from you!

pm'd you.

SO, my POI from Toronti just emailed me back, and said I've actually been wait listed, not accepted. Pretty uncool.

Wow. That's a serious punch in the stomach and not cool at all. I'm so sorry! Karmically, now you're due some awesome news from somewhere else!

Wow. That's a serious punch in the stomach and not cool at all. I'm so sorry! Karmically, now you're due some awesome news from somewhere else!

Haha, thanks guys - I don't really know how to respond to her email? But YES, figure I deserve some spectacular news from somewhere else now!

Sorry to hear that... Bet you'd get more admittances from other schools!

- from another waitlist of Toronto.

SO, my POI from Toronti just emailed me back, and said I've actually been wait listed, not accepted. Pretty uncool.

Yikes, sorry to hear about that brandnewshoes, that's terrible. Just to let you and aaannnthroling know, I'm of of the Toronto admits and while I'm considering it quite seriously, there are a couple of other places I may go instead (depending on offers). So if you like, just PM me and I can keep you updated on my plans if you want to coordinate. 

Hey folks,

I just entered the NYU admit. Got an email from POI on Friday and was informed the official letter will come this week. Since there haven't been any acceptance entries since then, and only a few waitlists, I'm starting to think that not all POIs sent out their emails, and it will all come with the official letters this week. So those who haven't heard back, don't lose hope yet!

I just got an interview for Hopkins. I had already moved on mentally, so it was a really nice surprise! Who on earth sends out interview invitations in the middle of the night on a Sunday? Crazy anthropologists, that's who!

thats....a major F-up ....may i say. I am so sorry. Now, think if they were like..."sorry...you were actually rejected...."

...Hahha?

Not funny!

Thanks for the update Oceanus. And congrats on the admit! Can I ask, who was your POI?

Hey folks,

I just entered the NYU admit. Got an email from POI on Friday and was informed the official letter will come this week. Since there haven't been any acceptance entries since then, and only a few waitlists, I'm starting to think that not all POIs sent out their emails, and it will all come with the official letters this week. So those who haven't heard back, don't lose hope yet

Are you going to take it? Of course you are!!!!

I'm waitlisted, so I'm doing my best right now not being jelous  :D  CONGRATULATIONS!!!! That's a big thing you accomplished!!!!

ok, for some reason, I can't quote.

ximenka, thank you! :) I will wait to hear from some other schools before I make a final decision, but let's keep in touch. I hope you'll also get in! :)

keysopendoors, I'm messaging you.

snowswirl, congratulations on the JHU interview! :)  

Edited by oceanus

Chicago interviewees for Comp Human Development -- have they told you that students not invited to interview are rejected? I would rather just know than be in limbo!!!

The email referred to the interview as a "next step" so unfortunately I think its unlikely to get an acceptance w/o an interview. Unless maybe everyone who gets interviewed just stinks! Probably rejections won't go out until after MAPSS decisions are made.

The email referred to the interview as a "next step" so unfortunately I think its unlikely to get an acceptance w/o an interview. Unless maybe everyone who gets interviewed just stinks! Probably rejections won't go out until after MAPSS decisions are made.

Okay! Thanks for letting me know!! 

Not gonna lie, I am jealous of all those admits and interviews, and even to a certain extent of the rejections, since I seem to have picked all the schools that take their sweet time deciding.  BUT, I am also happy for you guys - congratulations!  And good luck with the interviews!