Fall 2015 Applicants

Tomorrow I'm heading to St. Louis for a day and half to meet with faculty, grad students and check out a class.  Any advice from GC folks would be great. 

thats....a major F-up ....may i say. I am so sorry. Now, think if they were like..."sorry...you were actually rejected...."

...Hahha?

This happened to me for undergrad and they didn't see the mistake until i sent in my deposit. I know how you feel.

Sorry for any confusion I may have caused regarding NYU. Despite the appearance of omniscience, I am but a humble researcher and my inside source is on sabbatical. The department is also conducting 2 job searches, so that may explain the early results and multiple faculty meetings.  Congratulations to all the admits and people with wait list spots -- you guys are brilliant!

Has anyone heard anything from UT-Austin yet?! 

I have been emailing with a POI in the Biological Anthropology group, and they said that admissions have not been finalized and are likely to change up until the 4/15 deadline. I know this is rather general but maybe it will help a little. 

I have been emailing with a POI in the Biological Anthropology group, and they said that admissions have not been finalized and are likely to change up until the 4/15 deadline. I know this is rather general but maybe it will help a little. 

APRIL 15. So we won't even find out til then? Why do they hate us?

APRIL 15. So we won't even find out til then? Why do they hate us?

April 15 sounds like the hard deadline and we might find out sooner if something changes. *crosses fingers for sooner*

The wait is almost worse then rejections ( now i say this and I will eat my words, but...) . 

Has anyone else applied to Univ. of Pittsburgh? Any info about them? Other then the interview last month, i have heard nothing from anyone else....its so depressing

Yet, I can't help but preparing myself for the worst and feeling inclined to defensive pessimism.

If... I should reiterate another year-long application cycle.... (sigh)

then I should probably retake GREs, refine my SOP, present some works... and probably conduct some pilot research?

And peruse literatures even more, of course....

Plus, I need to earn some money for fees.

Don't be too pessimistic. NYU can still very well accept you; an interview is extremely promising. Also, from what friends and I have experienced, interviews in anthropology seem to be "not competitive," ie. are very strong indicators of getting accepted (as opposed to being used as a major weeding-out tool). So you're pretty damn strong to get an interview at all! But, even if things don't work out in your favor, think of it as a good thing. Departments can tell if you're ready/make a good fit for them. A good friend told me applying to grad school is like putting out bids into the universe; there's nothing you can do except wait for the "universe" to respond and take things as they come. You'll be far more prepared next year if it comes down to it!

Not gonna lie, I am jealous of all those admits and interviews, and even to a certain extent of the rejections, since I seem to have picked all the schools that take their sweet time deciding.  BUT, I am also happy for you guys - congratulations!  And good luck with the interviews!

We have so many of the same schools on our lists  :lol:  That's exactly how I feel as well... hard to interpret silence (and yet so easy to overanalyze)...

Sorry to hear about the Toronto mix-up - that's seriously lame. I had a somewhat similar experience with UT and decided against them anyway because of all the schools I was looking at (including 3 Canadian schools), they were offering the least money. For some reason that I can't understand their stipend is $3-4k lower than other schools. Moving anywhere is a big expense. Moving across a border is even bigger.

But on the question of Canadian PhDs - they are just as good and sometimes better. I know it's hard to believe based on what they tell you, but there are a few reasons. First, they almost all require you have an MA before you start your PhD. This means the students are all starting at a more advanced stage - all the coursework, all the cohort relations, all the engagements are just more advanced because of this. Second, they grade much harder in Canada than they do in the US. No one gets above 90%, well very few. Most people get Bs. Grade inflation is so bad in the US that they have to use GREs to figure out who to admit because almost everyone applying for grad school has a 3.9 or higher. Most Canadian anthropology PhD programs don't ask for GREs.

Where Canadian programs fall short is what you might call professionalization. Canadian students in grad programs are often treated, but not always, like students. US PhD programs often treat students like colleagues. They have to because they make them teach over 50% of the courses. But the double-edged sword is that you end up in the US spending all your energy on teaching, whereas in Canada you're free to spend it on research and publishing (the things that actually get you jobs later). However, the flip side is that Canadian grad students are always told to publish in student journals and go to student conferences which is silly. US students are encouraged to publish in the same journals as everyone else (although there are a few student journals) and present at conferences alongside the faculty. So, on the one hand the US students get treated like professionals from the beginning, without being given time and space to develop that work. On the other hand Canadian grad students are given time and space to develop their work, but often treated as students. Of course there are exceptions and this will vary by department and advisor - but it's an overall trend I've noticed among my 'cohort' across US and Canadian PhD programs.

There is a world out there, beyond the borders of the US - there are teaching jobs in Europe, UK, and Canada - and elsewhere - on every continent. And there are barely any at all in the US. So this idea about US PhDs being the only one you can use to get a job is about 20 years old and no longer valid - mostly because there aren't any jobs in the US, because the university system is being dismantled. What do you expect when you spend most of your resources on the military...

I hope Toronto does admit you, and gives you an offer. If they give you 15k for 4 years, I would take it, as long as you feel OK about taking out a small amount of US Federal Loans to supplement it (which you can do while you're there, so file your FAFSA!).

But if they don't - I would recommend looking again all over Canada for your next round of applications - there are many incredible schools and programs - and there's lots of full-funding spots in Canada. Many US students are going to Canada for MAs (full funded) and PhDs now - no one wants 8 years of study and huge debt with no job prospect. If you're going to get a PhD in a world without a guarantee of a job, you might as well get it without much debt.

Hey folks,

I just entered the NYU admit. Got an email from POI on Friday and was informed the official letter will come this week. Since there haven't been any acceptance entries since then, and only a few waitlists, I'm starting to think that not all POIs sent out their emails, and it will all come with the official letters this week. So those who haven't heard back, don't lose hope yet!

Can I ask who your POI was?  I am thinking at this point I didn't get into NYU, but I need to obsess about it a little more before I get the official rejection...   ;)

I talked to my POI from NYU yesterday and he said the official letters should go out on Wednesday. I'm assuming that only one or two POIs have sent out unofficial emails, and it will all be clear when the official ones are out. Good luck to all!

I talked to my POI from NYU yesterday and he said the official letters should go out on Wednesday. I'm assuming that only one or two POIs have sent out unofficial emails, and it will all be clear when the official ones are out. Good luck to all!

Could I ask you who your POI is and what's your research topic? (broadly, of course) 

Anyone else becoming acutely aware of how many times they check the results page now that it's down? I'm an addict. I think I need a support group. 

You're preaching to a choir sister!

Anyone else becoming acutely aware of how many times they check the results page now that it's down? I'm an addict. I think I need a support group. 

mmhmm. Especially now that someone posted that they received an interview email from Stanford and my hopes are being dashed by the second.

Oh man that downtime was killing me.

I put up the Stanford interview invite. Looks like they're aiming for 14 applicant interviews back-to-back-to-back, all on the same day from 9am to 4pm. With no lunch break. I guess they'll be snacking while listening? Not sure if all the invites have gone out yet or not, but it was just a generic email to "Dear ANTHRO Graduate Admissions Applicant," so that sounds like a batch email.

Good luck to all! There's light at the end of this tunnel somewhere.

mmhmm. Especially now that someone posted that they received an interview email from Stanford and my hopes are being dashed by the second.

Same here, I didn't hear back from Stanford, Duke, Columbia, Harvard and Michigan, and seems like everybody got their enterviews lined up.

Just going to drown in a pool of despair (or vodka, vodka sounds better!)

Same here, I didn't hear back from Stanford, Duke, Columbia, Harvard and Michigan, and seems like everybody got their enterviews lined up.

Just going to drown in a pool of despair (or vodka, vodka sounds better!)

Wait, Columbia interviews went out? When?