Fall 2015 Applicants

Throwback question: safe to assume rejection from Northwestern if no interview? 

From the email I got, seems that they invite all finalists to the campus visit at the end of the month (but if you are out of the country or otherwise can't get to Evanston, maybe this would be different). Sorry to say!

From the email I got, seems that they invite all finalists to the campus visit at the end of the month (but if you are out of the country or otherwise can't get to Evanston, maybe this would be different). Sorry to say!

No worries! Helpful to know. I am out of the country, but I do think they'd have probably given the option even so. I just want to know that I can put it out of my mind. 

I received an email from Michigan anthropology directing me to the Rackham website, which of course directs me back to the department. Brilliant.

In any case, I called and the department told me all the notifications are going out over the next couple of days. 

I guess I received the same note with the one who posted has gotten: it's not you, it's not us, it's some other factor -- in a nicely worded manner.

At least, I didn't ask them for the status of mine.

As far as I know, the official deadline for most of schools is April 15.

Ah, but you had an interview so of course they would send you a nice proper notification! Sorry to hear that -- luckily Michigan is a pretty big feather in your cap. Congrats again! 

A question to those who are getting accepted (congratz btw!) :

When do schools ask that you accept or decline the offer by? Do these dates vary a lot by school?

The accepted date is April 15th in the US. Some schools ask for earlier confirmation for funding and fellowship decisions, but that's rare. 

Has anybody else ever looked for their specific school in the results page, just to make sure they haven't notified yet this year, and then forgot that they'd done that, and then revisited the page and peed their f@^c&@ng pants for a minute before they realized they were looking at previous years?

Has anybody else ever looked for their specific school in the results page, just to make sure they haven't notified yet this year, and then forgot that they'd done that, and then revisited the page and peed their f@^c&@ng pants for a minute before they realized they were looking at previous years?

I'm a long time lurker but will come out of the woodwork for this. YES, a thousand times yes. I almost lost my sh** yesterday doing that exact thing.

A question to those who are getting accepted (congratz btw!) :

When do schools ask that you accept or decline the offer by? Do these dates vary a lot by school?

I've only gotten one offer, but the deadline for written acceptance of the official offer is April 16th. I think they really appreciate early notification, though.

I've only gotten one offer, but the deadline for written acceptance of the official offer is April 16th. I think they really appreciate early notification, though.

Not to mention that it is courteous to those who are waitlisted. The sooner you accept (or deny) your offer to admittance, the sooner those who are waitlisted will know their fate!

Edited by marxistglue

Are there any JHU admittances who are willing to share the identity of their POI? Even through PM? I'm just hoping that yours are not the same as mine and maybe, just maybe, I'm still in the hunt...

I PMed you

Best to everyone waiting to hear back! It's so nerve wracking to wait but the struggle's almost over ! :)

For those who've been offered admission to Michigan, how does your funding look? Do GSI/RA appointment include tuition? Please pm me.

Hi! I'm a long-time lurker; I'm not the official admit, but was contacted by the department and asked to send my transcripts ASAP so that they could send their recommendation to the GSAS; my POIs were cc'd. Am hoping that this bodes well after lots of dread and disappointment, but at the same time, it adds another dimension which complicates my (angsty, pessimistic) decision to stick it out on the East Coast with my partner, who was admitted to numerous PhD programs (the tribulations of "two bodies," I suppose). Best of luck to us all--this community has been a great refuge despite my silence.

I just wanted to chime in and say congrats to everyone who has received an offer from one of their top choices this year. This particular thread is definitely more positive than last year's, which is fantastic. I'm sure many of you will continue to get good news in the coming weeks too. :)