Fall 2015 Applicants

Anyone heard from Upenn or Rutgers? Still waiting on the two....

I know someone who had an interview with Rutgers;  it also seems like they are only accepting one student this year due to a lack of funding.

Anyone want to claim CUNY result? Was it a mass email or individual?

Another one of my schools, with no email for me.  I'm dying here!  I feel like my possibilities are dwindling.

I wonder if there are professors who come here to read these threads and laugh at us?

I got the CUNY email and posted the first result...it was an individual email, but the information was definitely copy/paste style. I will be withdrawing my application, so hopefully that means good things for someone else's chances.

Anyone heard from Upenn or Rutgers? Still waiting on the two....

I had an interview with Rutgers last week. They will be admitting 1-2, so keeping my fingers crossed!

I got the CUNY email and posted the first result...it was an individual email, but the information was definitely copy/paste style. I will be withdrawing my application, so hopefully that means good things for someone else's chances.

Congratulations on CUNY! JHU seems like it's a great fit for you, but getting some love from CUNY is no small feat.  :D

300 seems like a reasonable cutoff for GREs, as that would be around 40th percentile for both sections.  In fact, one of the programs I applied to explicitly stated that they would not consider anyone with a Verbal score below 155 and a quant score below 150.

300 seems like a reasonable cutoff for GREs, as that would be around 40th percentile for both sections.  In fact, one of the programs I applied to explicitly stated that they would not consider anyone with a Verbal score below 155 and a quant score below 150.

I think 300 is actually a little low, because that would put you somewhere in the 40-45th percentile [1]. I guess it's possible though that they use 300 as the even-if-this-person-seems-great-they-just-don't-cut-it line. Of the schools  I've researched that post their average GRE scores for admission, most are looking for around 70th percentile and up, which should be closer to about 310-312, assuming equal performance on verbal and quant. The GRE of course isn't everything, and I'm sure there are sub-300 GRE scorers that have been accepted into programs. 

[1] https://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/concordance_information.pdf

I think 300 is actually a little low, because that would put you somewhere in the 40-45th percentile [1]. I guess it's possible though that they use 300 as the even-if-this-person-seems-great-they-just-don't-cut-it line. Of the schools  I've researched that post their average GRE scores for admission, most are looking for around 70th percentile and up, which should be closer to about 310-312, assuming equal performance on verbal and quant. The GRE of course isn't everything, and I'm sure there are sub-300 GRE scorers that have been accepted into programs. 

I wouldn't assume equal performance or relevance for cultural folks. Numbers are hard.

I think 300 (150 V and 150 Q) isn't too low if it's being considered as the absolute drop dead minimum score threshold you need to pass to be considered. As in, we won't even put your application up for discussion during adcom meetings unless you got 150 Q and 150 V.  In any case, numbers are hard as smg said and I think verbal score holds more weight at most programs.  At least I hope so, since I scored in the 92nd percentile for verbal and 40th for quant!

In the fall a faculty member at Brown told me the department has a GRE minimum, but would not tell me exactly what it was. I got my official rejection from Brown today, so I am past really caring. 

The trouble with looking at cumulative scores (requiring 310+, etc.) is that one can easily score above 310 and still have one low score and one high score, for example. I have an embarrassing quant score and a great verbal. I passed the 310 mark, but a committee could definitely throw me out for my quant.  I suspect many of us have similar profiles in that regard. 

Anyone want to report on the Columbia interview? Congratulations!

Edited by NOWAYNOHOW

Hi, claiming Columbia. It was a personal email and seems like (as someone mentioned above) they are interviewing only those they are kind of on the fence about. Wanting to 'hear more/discuss my project.' Pretty nervous about it as it was my first app and I don't feel great about my proposal, but excited to have a shot. But definitely does not seem like they are interviewing all potential admits. Just the feeling/vibe I get.

I have an embarrassing quant score and a great verbal. 

Thank god it's not just me...I seriously considered retaking the GRE, but I just don't have the math skills to really improve on what I already have--my quant score would probably only come up three or four points with the absolute best that I could do.  And my verbal section was good enough that it would also only come up three or four points.  It just didn't seem worth it, but of course now that I have submitted all my applications, I am convinced the departments are putting them all in the circular filing cabinet because of that stupid quant score!   ;)

Should I start sending POIs emails about how much I like to bake?  WILL TRADE HOMEMADE COOKIES FOR PHD!!! :D

See...here's the thing about GRE scores.

This is my 3rd year applying. THIRD!!! And you wanna know what my GRE scores are? 167 Verbal, 162 Quantitative. So....kinda high. One of the POIs who rejected me last year said I had literally the highest GRE scores of all applicants to the program. Did it make a difference? No. No it did not. I have a feeling that unless your GRE scores are absolutely abysmal (as in, you typed in your social security number, mike-dropped, and then noped up outta there) you probably don't need to worry about the GRE.

Do any of the repeat offenders remember that poster from last year, who was a faculty member, who was ranting about how annoying it was when prospective students contacted them? It's buried in the archives somewhere, but they basically said that instead of telling applicants "you weren't good enough" or some other variation thereof, they would indicate that they were rejected because their applications were incomplete. I have a feeling that "your GRE score was too low" is just a different version of that. I don't want to deal with the responsibility of explaining why I rejected you, so I'm just going to say your GRE is too low, because you're gonna think that's some kind of auto-fail and it's easier for me that way.

See...here's the thing about GRE scores.

This is my 3rd year applying. THIRD!!! And you wanna know what my GRE scores are? 167 Verbal, 162 Quantitative. So....kinda high. One of the POIs who rejected me last year said I had literally the highest GRE scores of all applicants to the program. Did it make a difference? No. No it did not. I have a feeling that unless your GRE scores are absolutely abysmal (as in, you typed in your social security number, mike-dropped, and then noped up outta there) you probably don't need to worry about the GRE.

Do any of the repeat offenders remember that poster from last year, who was a faculty member, who was ranting about how annoying it was when prospective students contacted them? It's buried in the archives somewhere, but they basically said that instead of telling applicants "you weren't good enough" or some other variation thereof, they would indicate that they were rejected because their applications were incomplete. I have a feeling that "your GRE score was too low" is just a different version of that. I don't want to deal with the responsibility of explaining why I rejected you, so I'm just going to say your GRE is too low, because you're gonna think that's some kind of auto-fail and it's easier for me that way.

applause for "noped up outta there" which is definitely entering my everyday vocabulary as of right now. <3

To the Notre Dame waitlister, did you receive a letter from the department head? I was also waitlisted for an interview (in January). My email said I was one of two alternates after 8 people selected for interview. From those 8, the program would extend 6-7 acceptances, which would comprise the entire incoming cohort. Are you the other alternate? Any news?

Heard that FaultyPowers. Pretty much the same GRE scores (you got me by a point on Quant) and I am getting zero love from these folks. Two full SD's away from the average doesn't even seem to warrant a conversation. Apparently, there is no need to be worried about less than stellar scores, and no need to excited about good ones.

HHAHA faulty i swear, i did not know it was you until they mentioned you below. Guys, dont change pics! cant follow ;)

To the Notre Dame waitlister, did you receive a letter from the department head? I was also waitlisted for an interview (in January). My email said I was one of two alternates after 8 people selected for interview. From those 8, the program would extend 6-7 acceptances, which would comprise the entire incoming cohort. Are you the other alternate? Any news?

Hey there. the incoming cohort is 8 people from what I understand, and the interview was for 12 people. PM me if you would like more info.

Edited by Daisy123