Fall 2015 Applicants

To be fair there's no calc on the quant portion of the GRE, so maybe your calc teacher would just assume that you would have done well if there was calculus involved and she was just that much better than all your other math teachers?

While we play the waiting game...

I just want to say I am so sorry I wasn't on here last year!  You are all such fun and encouraging folks and I am enjoying getting to know you!  I could have used some folks to commiserate with last year (all rejections...well one acceptance but no funding).  If I had been on here last year I would already know some of you and Daisy123 we would have known each other BEFORE interviews!!  Ahh well.  I'm on here now.  You're all cool.  Carry on. :D

Accepted at UConn! Medical subfield. Over the moon! 

As a 'repeat offender' (nicely coined, Faulty) this means the world to me. Funding, etc. Nice emails from DGS + potential advisor. 

Hope this means lots of good news to come for everyone! 

Congratulations! I also read your blog, and I am happy you got through it and came out on top!

So I interviewed in person at my top choice a couple of weeks ago (6 interviewees for 3-4 slots), and I just woke up this morning to an email from one of the department's incoming faculty members for 2015-2016 asking to Skype today or tomorrow. The email was worded like "the department encourages faculty to reach out and learn more about short listed candidates."

I'm kind of freaking out because I thought the interview process for this school was over! I didn't get to meet with her while I was there, and I can't help but think this is either a good sign or bad sign, just not sure which. Has this ever happened to anyone after in-person interviews?

It's a good sign.  They are probably just trying to get all faculty on the same page.  If they didn't think you where a viable candidate they wouldn't bother putting more energy into getting to know you. 

So I interviewed in person at my top choice a couple of weeks ago (6 interviewees for 3-4 slots), and I just woke up this morning to an email from one of the department's incoming faculty members for 2015-2016 asking to Skype today or tomorrow. The email was worded like "the department encourages faculty to reach out and learn more about short listed candidates."

I'm kind of freaking out because I thought the interview process for this school was over! I didn't get to meet with her while I was there, and I can't help but think this is either a good sign or bad sign, just not sure which. Has this ever happened to anyone after in-person interviews?

Accepted at UConn! Medical subfield. Over the moon! 

As a 'repeat offender' (nicely coined, Faulty) this means the world to me. Funding, etc. Nice emails from DGS + potential advisor. 

Hope this means lots of good news to come for everyone! 

Congratulations!!!!

Congratulations! I second that fit is everything.

It sure is. I thought that my GREs were going to be the part of my application that got everyone's attention, but I've just received an offer from St. Andrews - the one school that I applied to that does not consider GRE scores. That program and POI are by far the best fit and it is my overall first choice! It's really all about fit.

I've got many applications still outstanding, but as I've heard nothing from any of them and a handful of them have put out acceptances and rejections, I'm not sure I'll be getting any more good news. That would just be ironic - one acceptance from the school that neither considers GREs of takes an application fee. I could have done this whole thing for free?! Now, I just have a tortuous month of late night cold sweats before funding decisions are announced....

Hey all! 

I've been lurking this subfield for a little while, and haven't really had a strong reason to post, but I am having a major decision dilemma that I want some input on if y'all are willing to help!

I have been accepted to University of Cincinnati and Ball State for their MA programs (waiting to hear back from IUPUI, which is still an option, and American, which I have pretty much dismissed even if accepted). UC didn't give me a deadline to reply, and I scheduled a visit on March 2. However, BSU wants to hear back by Feb. 27. Is it normal for schools to only give you a week to accept?

UC told me upon acceptance that they were still waiting on funding decisions (which made sense, because I was accepted before the application deadline). Ball State told me I was waitlisted for departmental funding. I was told to email the director of the applied anthropology labs to inquire about assistantships. This is what I received:

"All accepted applicants are being considered for assistantships. I can say that you are near the top of our list for assistantships, and that we might be able to fund you with a stipend and a tuition waiver.  However, at this time our funding for next year has not been fully determined.  We have 5 grant proposals outstanding that we are waiting on funding decisions.  We will probably get at least 2 of these.

Unfortunately, grant funding cycles and graduate admissions decisions do not line up in a convenient way.  We may not find out about our final funding for the year until July, but at least two of these decisions should be made before the end of next month.I can say that you are near the top of our list for assistantships, and that we might be able to fund you with a stipend and a tuition waiver.  However, at this time our funding for next year has not been fully determined.  We have 5 grant proposals outstanding that we are waiting on funding decisions.  We will probably get at least 2 of these."

Not only does BSU want me to make a decision before I have heard back from all of my schools, they want me to confirm without definite funding. I feel pressured to decide between these two schools, which were my original top choices, before I feel ready to make such a big decision. I know I can't afford a grad program without at LEAST a tuition waiver. I have a feeling BSU doesn't want to screw me over and they're working hard to make sure they can fund all of the accepted students, but I just feel like the position they put me in asking me to decide so soon is pretty crappy. All of this is happening way more quickly thank I expected, and I planned on having until April to make *the* decision.

Would it be reasonable for me to ask Ball State if I can make my final decision after visiting UC (so I can meet with the faculty, talk to them about where they are in their funding decisions, etc) on March 2? They would really only be losing a couple of days of certainty.

Would it be reasonable for me to ask Ball State if I can make my final decision after visiting UC (so I can meet with the faculty, talk to them about where they are in their funding decisions, etc) on March 2? They would really only be losing a couple of days of certainty.

I don't know too much about funding, etc. but my gut feeling is that I would ask them for a few days to decide.  Unless Ball State is your absolute dream school and the perfect program for what you want to do (in which case you would just take whatever they'd give you and make it work), the worst thing they can say is no, and then you might want to think a bit about working with a department that is that inflexible and hard nosed.

But congratulations on the acceptances!  That is so awesome for you!   :D

Edited by ArchaeoGeek

I have not been here in like...36hrs, and i come back to all of this great great news!! !WOOO HOOOOO you guys, ,i am so overjoyed for all of us! Especially when i see applicants that did not make it last time and now have all of this positive news to rejoice in! 

Happy!!! 

I don't know too much about funding, etc. but my gut feeling is that I would ask them for a few days to decide.  Unless Ball State is your absolute dream school and the perfect program for what you want to do (in which case you would just take whatever they'd give you and make it work), the worst thing they can say is no, and then you might want to think a bit about working with a department that is that inflexible and hard nosed.

But congratulations on the acceptances!  That is so awesome for you!   :D

Thank you so much!! At this point, I'm planning to call the Grad director on Monday and ask for a slight extension :)

I have a feeling that unless your GRE scores are absolutely abysmal (as in, you typed in your social security number, mike-dropped, and then noped up outta there) you probably don't need to worry about the GRE.

For some reason, your entertaining phrase 'noped up outta there' was on my mind yesterday, and it made its way into weird dreams about the 'nope' cards in the Oatmeal's Exploding Kittens game and everyone telling me no to everything I wanted. 

If I haven't said it yet, congratulations on Amherst!  I'm so happy for you!

THANK YOUUUUUU! I'm so excited I can barely breathe. My lungs have noped.

And The Oatmeal was actually my inspiration to verbify "nope". The Godzilla who sees a bee or something and stomps back into the ocean going "NOPE!" and flipping off Tokyo. It was just so relevant to my thoughts and actions.

Thanks to whoever posted that Rutgers had updated their website with decisions - I still haven't heard anything from them directly, but logged in and saw that I was rejected. Anyone still waiting on a decision might find the news online.