Fall 2015 Applicants

Hey everyone!  

I'm a long time lurker and all your posts have been such a comfort to me! It's great to know you're not alone with your feelings/thoughts/desperation. 

I'm wondering if anybody knows if all Columbia admits have been notified? It looks like they have but I'm not getting a straight response from them and I honestly cannot wait until mid-March writhing in agony until they finally tell me I've  been rejected. I just want to know and move on!! So does anyone know? I'd be forever grateful if someone can just put me out my misery!

Hey everyone!  

I'm a long time lurker and all your posts have been such a comfort to me! It's great to know you're not alone with your feelings/thoughts/desperation. 

I'm wondering if anybody knows if all Columbia admits have been notified? It looks like they have but I'm not getting a straight response from them and I honestly cannot wait until mid-March writhing in agony until they finally tell me I've  been rejected. I just want to know and move on!! So does anyone know? I'd be forever grateful if someone can just put me out my misery!

Also waiting (for anthro). According to the results page, they've issued some decisions as recently as this week, so it may be ongoing. Fingers crossed!

Hey everyone!  

I was waitlisted, and my understanding from my communication with the department since then is that all admitted applicants have been notified :-(

Would someone care to claim the Harvard admit (that was embedded in the Berkeley rejection post on the Results Page)? When/how did you find out?

I was waitlisted, and my understanding from my communication with the department since then is that all admitted applicants have been notified :-(

Yeah it seems like they've all been notified but without a clear-cut, slap-in-the-face rejection, my heart just wouldn't let me sever all hope. I wish they could've just told me I've been rejected when I emailed. They just said that faculty haven't yet posted their final decisions. bleh. Or maybe they're going to pull a "you were admitted to the M.A. program instead." 

May we all be set free a-freaking-sap!

Would someone care to claim the Harvard admit (that was embedded in the Berkeley rejection post on the Results Page)? When/how did you find out?

• I have already accepted a PhD offer from Harvard, so this rejection is utterly inconsequential at this stage.

mfw

Edited by museum_geek

Accepted at Columbia, rejected from Berkeley. I felt Berkeley was my best fit, but it was the earliest app I sent in and riddled with problems. I am really happy though! I couldn't have imagined a better cycle. Good luck and best wishes to everyone else.

giphy.gif

And of course I'm blaming myself for not checking before on that :(

Well, at least I'll will have the slight satisfaction of getting that rejection without pain anymore knowing that I could've had a chance hahaha ("laugh and cries")

You shouldn't be rejected just because GREs haven't arrived. Departments usually reach out to applicants when they don't have the GRE scores and let them know. Have you contacted Columbia and asked what the situation is?

Congrats on Harvard acceptance. Was that in museum studies or anthro? Just curious, as I am hanging...

I think this is just a quote from the results board with a reaction picture as a link (hence "mfw"="my face when").

Congrats on Harvard acceptance. Was that in museum studies or anthro? Just curious, as I am hanging...

As marxistglue said, I was just quoting whoever posted that on the results board. 

I think that pretty much sums up what we were all thinking. I mean....hooray for confidence?

Speaking of absurdity, is your SPIRE still showing applied? It is almost the end of the week and mine is still showing applied.

Speaking of absurdity, is your SPIRE still showing applied? It is almost the end of the week and mine is still showing applied.

Yep!

At this point you might want to email or call your POI, or maybe even the grad coordinator. Decisions were made loooooong ago. Technically I believe they need to be "approved" by the grad school itself, but unless there were some hardcore shenanigans on your application, or you lied about your criminal background or something like that, I doubt that would make any difference. And UMass POIs get ONE pick of students, so there's no waitlist and no such thing as one person turning it down so it goes to the next. Once they make the final decision that's it. So they should definitely be able to tell you what your status is.

Aaaand....not to get your hopes up, but I notice that my UNLV page ALSO doesn't list a decision. And there are several posted rejections on the board who say that they had their decisions on the website. So.......

Edited by FaultyPowers

Yep!

At this point you might want to email or call your POI, or maybe even the grad coordinator. Decisions were made loooooong ago. Technically I believe they need to be "approved" by the grad school itself, but unless there were some hardcore shenanigans on your application, or you lied about your criminal background or something like that, I doubt that would make any difference. And UMass POIs get ONE pick of students, so there's no waitlist and no such thing as one person turning it down so it goes to the next. Once they make the final decision that's it. So they should definitely be able to tell you what your status is.

Yeah, I'm thinking I should do that. How did you word what you said to your POI? I don't want to see really pushy or anything...

Edited by marxistglue

My POI at Amherst called me, but for UNLV I wrote to the department secretary....I think; I followed the 'For more information' link on the graduate section of the Anthro website...and I basically said "Hello, my name is Blah and I was wondering whether you could give me any information about my application status?" I also threw in that I had already received an acceptance and "wanted to make an informed decision about where I will be next year as soon as possible". 

If you're writing your POI and you've spoken with them before you can probably just say "Hello Dr. Blah, I was wondering whether you could give me any insight on how the decision making process is going" or something like that. Couldn't hurt to mention your acceptances...

Hello all.. I was wondering if anyone could advise about the waitlist process for UCLA/Cotsen Interdepartmental Program for archaeology.

I've been notified that I'm an alternate, and have had pretty cordial in-person conversations with my POI before applying. It's a great fit - prior to studying archaeology I was an art history major, and before that a studio artist, so my archaeological focus is in production technology with an interdepartmental flare toward art historical documentation. It's also my only response this season, and my second year going through the wringer. (I'm taking a slow-and-steady pace into the PhD process, as I have fairly regular opportunities to publish and do research during the summer with my undergrad advisors. Also, I can't afford more than 2-3 apps a year, and do not feel inclined to apply to programs where I haven't made personal contacts). 

Does anyone have advice for whether or not to email asking for an idea of where I stand in the waitlist? Also, anyone with previous experience being waitlisted at UCLA?

Please PM me, and i would be glad to give you some info

Does anyone know anything about Cultural Anthroplogy Yale right now or know anything about their process? I'm super bummed because I got rejected 6/8 places and I'm pretty sure Stanford is a no as well. But my POI from Yale said they were interested in my app, I replied but they never got back to me. I really have no idea what to do next.