I've Been Accepted Now What...

Threeboysmom

Hello,

I am going back to school after a thirteen year hiatus.  I finished my undergraduate in 2001 got married had three boys and in the fall I start my masters program.  Truth be told I'm a nervous wreck.  I have no idea what to expect.  I've been at home with my children for seven years. I really don't know how to prepare.  Here are a few of my thoughts on preparing my family and myself for the upcoming changes.  '

• I need to start preparing meals in bulk and freeze them so when fall comes my family has meals already ready.
  • Get the syllabi read and purchase books early start reading them.
  • I have emailed the professor (no relpy)  but the books have not been sent over to the bookstore for the fall so I am still waiting.  This is making me nervous.  I want to get a jump start on the reading. 
  • Currently homeschooling my children in the fall they will be attending a school two days a week. 
  • I need to create space for my books and a space for me to study

What am I missing.  

Many students I've talked to in grad school say their partners take on extra work at home to compensate for their lack of free time while in school. I think that having the support and understanding of your family while you are in school can go along way. You may also want to give your boys an extra chore or two to help the family out, if they are old enough. Learning new chores can also fit in nicely with their homeschooling curriculum and expand their repertoire of skills. :)

Edited by jenste

Thanks jenste I need to brainstorm a list of extra chores for the boys and my hubby if they can get in the habit of doing those things now over the summer we will be ahead of the game when fall comes. 

I will say this, I know it's possible because my mom did her PhD when I was growing up. That said, instead of just focusing on bulk meals, you might also want to think about slow cooker meals that are simple. I'm thinking of the kind where you dump a bunch of ingredients in, turn the crockpot on, and when you come home dinner is ready. I do those a lot, just to keep myself from getting fast food. Depending on the age of your children, you might also be able to get them involved with the cooking, which will be useful for them and you. Same with laundry, by the way. Somehow, my mother never made us help with laundry so I didn't learn until college (horrifying really!). You might be able to get your boys to do the sorting and folding, even if they aren't ready to handle the full washing yet. Also, same with doing dishes or other household chores. You can do a chore chart with rewards or something.

As for the workspace, you may want to see if you can get some office space on campus, like a library study carrel. That will give you a quiet place to get work done (assuming you have childcare beyond when you're in class that is!).

Best of luck to you!

Currently homeschooling my children in the fall they will be attending a school two days a week. 

*High-five*

I was homeschooled until a couple years before college, and I'll always be grateful for it. Keep up the great work!

Yes, I can find books on Amazon but I don't know if the books will be the same or newer additions.

This should read latest editions, couldn't edit this post for some reason.

I will say this, I know it's possible because my mom did her PhD when I was growing up. That said, instead of just focusing on bulk meals, you might also want to think about slow cooker meals that are simple. I'm thinking of the kind where you dump a bunch of ingredients in, turn the crockpot on, and when you come home dinner is ready. I do those a lot, just to keep myself from getting fast food. Depending on the age of your children, you might also be able to get them involved with the cooking, which will be useful for them and you. Same with laundry, by the way. Somehow, my mother never made us help with laundry so I didn't learn until college (horrifying really!). You might be able to get your boys to do the sorting and folding, even if they aren't ready to handle the full washing yet. Also, same with doing dishes or other household chores. You can do a chore chart with rewards or something.

As for the workspace, you may want to see if you can get some office space on campus, like a library study carrel. That will give you a quiet place to get work done (assuming you have childcare beyond when you're in class that is!).

Best of luck to you!

Great advice thanks!

I applaud your efforts as a mom, and your dedication to do something for yourself! 

I was in a similar situation, with my own son (although he was not home schooled).  I did work full time, and go to school full time, so I know how hard that can be on a family.  I just (literally) graduated with my bachelor's degree after 15 years of work... and through the process also have obtained two associate degrees. 

My son is now grown and in the Navy, and I start this fall on my master's program.

I am a nervous wreck too.  Some people are acting like it's going to be a piece of cake, but these same people have not gone to grad school and they have no idea.  The vibe I am getting is making me nervous... late, sleepless nights, writing, writing, and more writing...more sleepless nights...

So, if you want a friend to help push you from this end, I'll be that friend. 

All the best.  Hope to talk soon.

NavyMom,

I do understand... I'm concerned with the workload as well, especially with the age of my children.  Earlier this year as I studied for the GRE it felt like each time I sat down to study at home one of my kids would get sick, have an urgent matter that needed my attention, or decide they needed to ask me one hundred questions at that moment.  sigh  I thought to myself perhaps I should have just signed up for a dance class.  LOL!  Yes I will need a friend to help me push through till the end. 

I will join the "mom going back to school after long break and is nervous" club! My younger children will be going to public school, and my two high schoolers finishing up through homeschooling because we are moving for me to go to school. Thankfully I have older children who help out a lot with cooking and cleaning and watching the younger ones.

What I am most nervous about is technology! Things have changed a lot since I did my MA (email was a novelty then!).

Voulez-Vous

Congrats on your decision to go back to school.  Welcome to the nervous mommy going back to school club.  I'm sure you will be fine.  How great that your family is moving with you so you can complete your degree.  Good luck. 

Yes time management is a cruicial thing when you are studying you should also keep in mind that you have to study in the presence of your kids which can be distracting at times.

Hey all! I'm a nervous mommy going back to school after 10 years. However, I'm moving to a new country without my 2 young kids, so I'm super nervous about how they will manage without me, and, I'm even more concerned about how I will manage without them! I have a fairly large family support system in my home country, bit I'll still worry about my kids. Hopefully, I won't flunk out and lose my fellowship because I can't focus.

To all the mommies who are homeschooling - more power to you! I hope to be able to do that eventually.

kittyk

I can't imagine living without my family. You are very brave.  At least modern technology will make it easier to communicate via skye or facetime.  Good luck to you, I hope you don't flunk out.  :(  Depending on the age of your children you may find it much easier to study without them.  :P

I'll join in this thread, since I am also starting a PhD and also moving to a new country, and I have two young children who may or may not be home schooled at least part time. My older son will definitely be home schooled part time or full time; I am just not sure about my younger son, who does well socially but seems to be behind on some basic academic skills. (It's the opposite for my older one).

Please set aside some "me" time for yourself. Whatever it is that makes you happy--a hobby, a place, a get-together with girlfriends--set aside some space and time to rejuvenate. I find that I need it at least once very other week. Even if it's an hour or two.

Also, setting up a support system--babysitters, friends, family, anyone who can help out during those crunch times (often at the end of the semester). Sometimes I've had my mom stay with me for a couple of weeks while I travel to conferences, and it helps tremendously!

Best of luck to you! There are lots of moms in graduate school--know that you are not alone.

Edited by wildviolet

Please set aside some "me" time for yourself. Whatever it is that makes you happy--a hobby, a place, a get-together with girlfriends--set aside some space and time to rejuvenate. I find that I need it at least once very other week. Even if it's an hour or two.

Also, setting up a support system--babysitters, friends, family, anyone who can help out during those crunch times (often at the end of the semester). Sometimes I've had my mom stay with me for a couple of weeks while I travel to conferences, and it helps tremendously!

Best of luck to you! There are lots of moms in graduate school--know that you are not alone.

Thanks I'm glad to see I'm not alone. I was wondering if I would be able to find time for things I enjoy, knitting, sewing, etc. I will be relying on my support system heavily, although it's tough to tell when I will need them the most but it's comforting to know the offers are there.

wildviolet 

How cool that you are apart of a knitting group.  I am teaching myself to crochet and I've been working on it on and off for years.  I can never get my stiches just right.  I know it comes with practice.  I actually was thinking of switching over to knitting for a bit for a change of pace. 

reinhard

Cooking lessons are on the agenda for the summer.  Simple things they can do themselves to help mom out.