Fall 2015 Cycle: Communication Studies

Hey everyone!

I just wanted to see who all is applying for the Fall 2015 cycle to Communication Studies (or similar programs).  I thought I would make a separate thread since the programs for Comm Studies will be quite a bit different from Mass Comm and those kind of of programs.

So where is everyone applying?  What questions do we have for each other?  What are everyone's research interests?  I'd love to see what everyone's experiences are thus far!

I am looking at quite a few programs in Colorado, mostly MA with maybe one PHD in there.  My research interests include misrepresentations of female sexuality and homesexuality in media and culture.

Can't wait to hear from you all!

• 2 weeks later...

Hi! I'm applying for both Polisci and Comms programs seen as my interests lie in Political Comms. Looking at Anneberg and UC Boulder at the moment for Comms and a few others for Polisci...

anyone know any other good PolComms places I should be looking?

Looking for the best placement schools around, may have to retake the GRE though to make myself more competitive!

• 3 weeks later...

I am searching for a PhD in Social Sciences, maybe focusing on Communication Studies since that is my background, but I am not really considering the U.S.A yet.

I am thinking about Europe, mainly Germany, UK and Finland. I am hoping to find a Human-Computer Interaction program. If anyone knows about a research center with those qualifications, please let me know.

Also,

Hnotis, I think that UCLA has a lot of research on those topics and also the University of Wisconsin would be a great choice, specially since they just accepted homosexual marriage (California too, I think). That way you'd be able to do a more deep and open research.

Nx3763, I think universities in Texas have a lot of research on those topics, as well as the University of Arizona. However, I recommend more University of Austin-Texas since I have known of a lot of great professors who are teaching/graduated from there and are excellent in Politics and Communication.

Hi! I'm applying for both Polisci and Comms programs seen as my interests lie in Political Comms. Looking at Anneberg and UC Boulder at the moment for Comms and a few others for Polisci...

anyone know any other good PolComms places I should be looking?

Looking for the best placement schools around, may have to retake the GRE though to make myself more competitive!

I'm a student at the University of Oklahoma and I want to suggest that you look here for political communication as well.  I really love my program, the faculty is very approachable/helpful, and we have the Political Communication Center which hold's the world's largest archive of political advertising.

• 2 months later...

Hi there!

Doesn't look like there are many of us.  And all a little reluctant to post stats...?

Well, I'll kick it off:

3.8 undergrad GPA equivalent (I graduated from a school that did not have traditional grades...yikes)

Combined 313 GRE from 2009 (1290 on the old scale) and 4.5 AWA

Retaking the GRE this week but my hopes aren't too high as I've been doing not so great on the practice tests.

My bachelor's was not in communication, but focused somewhat on cross-cultural communication and understanding.  From a small relatively unknown school.

My interests are a little broad, but I want to look at cross-boundary collaboration and communication, however that boundary is manifested (culture, religion, organization, nation, time, space - anything!).  I love language, so could see myself doing discourse analysis and other types of linguistic analysis.  Also huge on ethnography.  At UCSB, I have a chance to study with someone in a very specific field for which there aren't many experts in the USA, hence the Religious Studies program application there.  I feel weird about applying for two different programs at one school, which is why I'm not also applying to Comm there.

It's an absolute requirement for me to get a TA-ship or RA-ship or equivalent.  Financially, it's a must (won't divulge the personal details).  But I also quit my last (very excellent) job to become a teacher, and it's what I want to be doing, so I'd like to pursue my passion right off the bat and really grow some invaluable skills and improve my teaching.

Good luck to the others on here!  Would love to hear from others!

I'm in the process of getting my application materials together as well as emailing POI's.  My main interests are in rhetoric (of science, philosophy, religion and pop culture) and philosophy of communication.  I'm actually equally a philosopher and communicator, so I'm also applying to philosophy programs.

My stats are as follows:

Grad GPA:  3.95

Undergrad Comm GPA:  3.93

GRE:  Good verbal, low quantitative, very high analytic.  

I'm likely applying to Kansas, USC, Pittsburgh, Michigan State, Illinois, Northwestern, Purdue, UT-Austin and Georgia. 

Hi Pedanticist!

Thanks for sharing. 

Stellar GPA's! Your degrees are in the same/similar field?

Congrats on the high writing score, too!

How did you narrow your programs down?

Interesting to see someone else applying to two different programs.

Good luck!

Hi Pedanticist!

Thanks for sharing. 

Stellar GPA's! Your degrees are in the same/similar field?

Congrats on the high writing score, too!

How did you narrow your programs down?

Interesting to see someone else applying to two different programs.

Good luck!

Thanks!

I did BA's in philosophy and communication separately.  My MA is a lot of philosophy (including work on hermeneutics) , some Comm (mostly quantitative) and history of rhetoric/philosophy.  My thesis is specifically in analytic epistemology though, so that may hurt me a bit.  

I do research/teach in a comm department currently and the profs at the department have given me invaluable advice about where to look.  I didn't really think I would apply to Comm/Rhetoric programs until recently.

Interesting that you are working in religious studies.  In philosophy, the two areas I work in are epistemology and philosophy of religion.  

Pedanticist - are you still planning on retaking the GRE (per your signature)?

I got in touch with my last letter writer today - whew! She's been traveling for a few weeks (she's an anthropologist) so wasn't responding. I was getting my backups lined up. Do you think it will be OK that all three of my letter writers come from non-degree graduate studies, and all the same department? Or would it be better to ask one of my undergrad profs to write a letter instead of one of the grad profs?

Neither my undergrad nor my non-degree grad studies are directly related to my programs, and really, pretty much all else is equal about them, so I've been having a hard time deciding. 

When I was applying I was told to have one recommendation from my undergraduate, so that I could demonstrate consistent commitment to scholarship. Whether or not that was good advice I can't say but I got into the program I wanted to attend.

Pedanticist - are you still planning on retaking the GRE (per your signature)?

Yes.  I talked with a prospective POI and they seemed to think that was the only area where my application could be improved.  Here I come November.

Pedanticist, have you thought about the program in Minnesota?  I have a friend in my program (she's an MA student and wants to focus on rhetoric for the doctorate, which is an emphasis we don't have) who is looking at UW, KU, UT, and Illinois for rhetoric, but Minnesota is her top choice.

Pedanticist, have you thought about the program in Minnesota?  I have a friend in my program (she's an MA student and wants to focus on rhetoric for the doctorate, which is an emphasis we don't have) who is looking at UW, KU, UT, and Illinois for rhetoric, but Minnesota is her top choice.

I'm considering it.  The main problem is that the person I would likely work with is Alan Gross and he's getting extremely close to retirement.  It looks like your friend and myself will be applying to all of the same places.  

What area of rhetoric is she interested in?

Got my writing score back today. Whew it's done. I hoped/ expected for 5.5 but I got a flat 5.0. Oh well. I know I write well and hope my pubs can speak to that...! I also know I can improve though, so it's a good score to keep me humble with :)

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Got my writing score back today. Whew it's done. I hoped/ expected for 5.5 but I got a flat 5.0. Oh well. I know I write well and hope my pubs can speak to that...! I also know I can improve though, so it's a good score to keep me humble with :)

I would not be too worried about your writing score. The GRE writing section is incredibly subjective and honestly depends on the grader's mood. I took the GRE twice, wrote practically the same essay the second time, and got a different score. Go figure!

• 2 weeks later...

I would not be too worried about your writing score. The GRE writing section is incredibly subjective and honestly depends on the grader's mood. I took the GRE twice, wrote practically the same essay the second time, and got a different score. Go figure!

Well there you go...

Hello fellow communicators, bull-shitters, rhetoric geniuses, 

I'm probably in the boat with the rest of y'all and anxiously awaiting replies from MA programs. 

My stats are as follows:

Undergrad Comm GPA:  3.8

GRE:  Great verbal, low quantitative, high analytic.  

Interests: Environmental Communications, particularly sustainable food-systems. 

I applied to: Washington State, University of Maine, University of Montana, James Madison University, University of New Mexico and University of Utah. 

I am wondering if anyone else applied to any of the above schools or any environmental communications programs?

Best of luck to the rest of you! 

xxx

Hi! I applied to UNM too!

Also a 3.8 ugpa and similar stats. Different interests though.

Did you check out Boukder? They don't have an environ comm track, but they do have a few experts in that specialty.

Hi! I applied to UNM too!

Also a 3.8 ugpa and similar stats. Different interests though.

Did you check out Boukder? They don't have an environ comm track, but they do have a few experts in that specialty.

I did look at Boulder but I did not apply! They definitely have some great professors there. Which other schools did you apply to? 

I applied to: Washington State, University of Maine, University of Montana, James Madison University, University of New Mexico and University of Utah. 

I am wondering if anyone else applied to any of the above schools or any environmental communications programs?

Hi there! I applied to Utah as well. Completely different interests BUT I've lived and worked in Utah for a number of years so I'd be happy to answer any questions. 

Hi there! I applied to Utah as well. Completely different interests BUT I've lived and worked in Utah for a number of years so I'd be happy to answer any questions. 

You rule, thank you so much for the offer. If Utah becomes an option for me I will DEFINITELY be asking you some questions. Best of luck!