Fall 2015 Cycle: Communication Studies

JMU's environmental communication program is new-and it's really good. The faculty-student ratio is outstanding, and most of the first year graduates are pursuing PhDs (but there are a lot of people who want to do advocacy work, too (since it's an advocacy program).

UNM acceptance received today by phone! SO EXCITED!

Funding info to come by email... hopefully soon!

Congrats!  I really like the UNM campus.  There are also some nice eateries right near there.  Plus you can now present at southwest PCA every year without any housing fees!  

Nervous to join......this is my first post.

Wanting to study media/society/tech/human rights.

Two years research experience, one in tech one in human rights.

Relevant thesis, accepted for publication in 2015.

GRE: 168V, 162Q, 5.5AW

2 great letter of rec, the third is solid but probably a step down.

Decent (by my estimation) SoPs.

Applying to USC, Stanford, MIT, Oregon, Michigan St, London School of Econ, UCSD and NYU.

Gulp.

Thank you, Pleaseinsertyournamehere! (Nevermind my inability to correctly use multiquote replies...)

Congrats!  I really like the UNM campus.  There are also some nice eateries right near there.  Plus you can now present at southwest PCA every year without any housing fees!  

Thank you! I really like it too. I did a visit there last year of my own accord to check it out. The people are awesome, too. 

The funding email came today: Full TA-ship and tuition waiver. Not a two-year guarantee, but from what I learned from current students that's pretty standard - and it's also pretty standard to get funding the second year anyway. Just subject to budgetary fluctuations and pending you're not a jerk or moron.

Also the tuition waiver is not totally common - so that was a REALLY nice bonus. Also includes health insurance. Yay!

Like the other programs, I will have to reapply to continue on to the PhD (I can't move schools/homes between MA and PhD due to kids in school).

The most incredible thing was how quickly they cranked out a decision: ONE WEEK! 

Deadline was Jan 15, I was notified Jan 24. Unbelievable and awesome.

Edited by jujubea