FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

Did anyone on here go to the NYU open house? I wasn't able to go (although I did visit campus a few weeks ago), and I'd be interested to hear other opinions about the department before I make my final decision. Feel free to PM me!

Congrats LAimee! I guess you'll be coming to Rutgers?

Will you be visiting? Now winter is over, it's soooo nice here. (I have to emphasize this because I haven't recovered from the -10F yet. Not sure how the bostonians deal with their winter  :blink: )

Anyway, I'm a current student at Rutgers. If you have any questions, shoot me a message. I'll also pm you my email. 

Edited by jslaw

Finally accepted to my dream program today... with no funding. This is a rejection, right?

Ahhh. That's a shame. I'm sorry to hear that. Was it a straight out "no funding" or is it possible that they simply haven't decided on it yet? 

Ahhh. That's a shame. I'm sorry to hear that. Was it a straight out "no funding" or is it possible that they simply haven't decided on it yet? 

Thanks. No funding, with small chance of some funds "freeing up" after first semester. Seems irresponsible for schools to even give people this option.

So, today I received a letter through the actual postal service (I am in ITALY!). It was from Umass. Apparently, they really wanted to make sure I knew they had rejected me, as if the previous email and website advice were not enough.

Thank you Umass, I'm flattered. 

The letter paper was really nice though. :rolleyes:

So, today I received a letter through the actual postal service (I am in ITALY!). It was from Umass. Apparently, they really wanted to make sure I knew they had rejected me, as if the previous email and website advice were not enough.

Well, back when I applied for the Spanish Linguistics program at Umass I also received a rejection letter in my home country, although in my case it was after I rejected them and was already attending another school. Apparently they didn't take my rejection too well  :P

That's just brutal! But at the same time, it's pretty funny too  :D  I am at the other extreme with Pitt. At this point, I know it's a rejection, but they're just not wanting to let me know! I even messaged them over a month ago, but they're giving me the silent treatment. Any day now!  :lol:

Edited by danica1

A few years ago when I was applied for my MA I received a normal rejection letter from Michigan State even though I only started the application and never even submitted it or sent any supplementary material. Like, yeah, I'd be freaking surprised if I got in with only my name and address.

A few years ago when I was applied for my MA I received a normal rejection letter from Michigan State even though I only started the application and never even submitted it or sent any supplementary material. Like, yeah, I'd be freaking surprised if I got in with only my name and address.

Ahaha that's precious! :)

I was wondering, has anyone heard something from UDelaware? I don't think I' d accept their offer, even in the remote chance they admitted me but... It would be nice to know (I am also still waiting from my rejection from Maryland :) Silence treatment indeed, danica1 ).

I just got my rejection from Pittsburgh, which doesn't really bother me because I was expecting it and I already have 2 programs I really like to choose from. What did bother me, though, was that the letter was kind of rude. Well, I guess it wasn't strictly rude, but definitely not the nicest rejection I've gotten. I'm really confused, though, because one of the things they said was that I should note that the graduate school doesn't generally accept a graduate GPA of less than 3.0. My GPA from my MA is 3.9, so I don't get why they'd tell me that.

Anyway, end of rant. Hope you're all having a good week! :)

I just got my rejection from Pittsburgh, which doesn't really bother me because I was expecting it and I already have 2 programs I really like to choose from. What did bother me, though, was that the letter was kind of rude. Well, I guess it wasn't strictly rude, but definitely not the nicest rejection I've gotten. I'm really confused, though, because one of the things they said was that I should note that the graduate school doesn't generally accept a graduate GPA of less than 3.0. My GPA from my MA is 3.9, so I don't get why they'd tell me that.

I finally got mine too! I knew all I needed to do was complain about it on here, and things would start happening  :lol:  I agree that the rejection letter was comparatively a little rude. They almost made it seem like if you were one of the roughly 100 people who didn't get in, your GPA and GRE scores sucked, your reference letters sucked, you're SOP was a mess, and you didn't even know what your research interests were. In conclusion: You just sucked as a person. Haha. Ok exaggerating here. I think they could have just worded it differently and that would have made all the difference. I mean, if you got rejected you're going to know your application was not as competitive as the others, or you weren't a good fit for the program. Well, while rejections are never fun, I am happy I am officially done with this chapter of my life!  :P

I finally got mine too! I knew all I needed to do was complain about it on here, and things would start happening  :lol:  I agree that the rejection letter was comparatively a little rude. They almost made it seem like if you were one of the roughly 100 people who didn't get in, your GPA and GRE scores sucked, your reference letters sucked, you're SOP was a mess, and you didn't even know what your research interests were. In conclusion: You just sucked as a person. Haha. Ok exaggerating here. I think they could have just worded it differently and that would have made all the difference. I mean, if you got rejected you're going to know your application was not as competitive as the others, or you weren't a good fit for the program. Well, while rejections are never fun, I am happy I am officially done with this chapter of my life!  :P

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it was kinda rude! It was basically "your application wasn't competitive enough and we had over 100 applicants, so we can't tell you why, but here are some possibilities" then proceeded to list everything that could get you rejected. Definitely could have been worded better.

But oh well! I'm not going to lose sleep over it. ;)

Ahaha that's precious! :)

I was wondering, has anyone heard something from UDelaware? I don't think I' d accept their offer, even in the remote chance they admitted me but... It would be nice to know (I am also still waiting from my rejection from Maryland :) Silence treatment indeed, danica1 ).

I was unofficially admitted to Delaware's MA program a couple weeks ago and officially admitted today. Not exactly the Ph.D. program, I know, but at least it means that news of some sort should be arriving soon.

Gotta love Pittsburgh making a generic rejection letter special by adding rudeness to it.

Guys I need an Advice. I just got an email from my poi at udel asking for a good time for an interview this week.

I was literally a few moments away from accepting stony brook's offer, I had my mind pretty settled... Do you think I should go with the interview?

Probably yes, because one can never know but I'm torn.

Personally I always think that it's better to take advantage of every possible opportunity. I'd do the interview. What if it turns out that Delaware is a better option than Stony Brook? Wouldn't you want to know? And if not, your acceptance to Stony Brook isn't going anywhere. You'll be able to accept knowing that it's the best option for you.

How optimistic should I be for being waitlisted at UCLA? Could some of you guys who have been through the same process share your experience with them?

Have you seen applicants–or are you one of those applicants–that were admitted really late in the process, e.g. dangerously closer to April 15, or on April 15?

The waitlisting message was that if they somehow get more funding, I would be admitted. This seems to be something equivalent to an admission without funding.

I think this could mean various things, including that I would be given an admission when an admittee with the same interest as mine declines an offer.

On another note, is there anyone here who has decided to go to UBC? Or someone who is on their waitlist besides me?

As a semanticist with a few particular topics in mind, my top choice is UBC, and I was told that I would hear back from them by the end of this month.

I would be curious to hear about your stories.

Thanks guys!

And if not, your acceptance to Stony Brook isn't going anywhere. 

God, I keep having the stupid anxiety that for some reason my acceptances will be revoked or something even though there isn't really any reason to think so. I'm good at stressing about unrealistic hypotheticals, in general...

How optimistic should I be for being waitlisted at UCLA? Could some of you guys who have been through the same process share your experience with them?

I don't know if it means anything at all to you, but I'm not planning to attend UCLA, presumably opening up a spot, though I've heard that their entering class last year was super gigantic, so I can imagine if they don't feel the need to let a ton of people in this year. Who knows, good luck.

I don't know if it means anything at all to you, but I'm not planning to attend UCLA, presumably opening up a spot,

Thanks for the info. I'm sure this entails sanguine prospects for a few people.

though I've heard that their entering class last year was super gigantic, so I can imagine if they don't feel the need to let a ton of people in this year.

This is interesting. I did not know about this. Thanks again.