FALL 2015 APPLICATONS

JD - (0)

There's computational linguistics there? I'm doing that in Amsterdam and this is new to me :)

Apparently yes!

See: http://www.gc.cuny.edu/Page-Elements/Academics-Research-Centers-Initiatives/Doctoral-Programs/Linguistics/About-the-Program/Specializations/Computational-Linguistics

The director for the master's program is Andrew Rosenberg.

There's computational linguistics there? I'm doing that in Amsterdam and this is new to me :)

Omnium, I guess Entropist is talking about Leiden -- and not about CUNY! =)

Entropist, not really. There's someone working with corpus linguistics, but I'm planning to do a joint degree in linguistics + computer science at Leiden + UFMG (my alma mater, in Brazil).

Omnium, I guess Entropist is talking about Leiden -- and not about CUNY! =)

Entropist, not really. There's someone working with corpus linguistics, but I'm planning to do a joint degree in linguistics + computer science at Leiden + UFMG (my alma mater, in Brazil).

Right. If so, I completely misunderstood. :)

Finally, even maryland decided to send out rejection!

It was expected of course, but it was about time!!! And it was pretty cold hearted: "based on our requirement for graduate admission", like saying "yeah you know, you are not good enough"

Luckily, I'm pass the time when a rejection hit hard so life goes on :)

• 2 weeks later...

Rutgers - I have not received a reply from them yet and the status of the application is - 'No Decision'. Is there anyone else who haven't received a reply from them? Or contacted them? 

Rutgers - I have not received a reply from them yet and the status of the application is - 'No Decision'. Is there anyone else who haven't received a reply from them? Or contacted them? 

I would send an email to the grad director–Grimshaw, I guess–about it.

I was contemplating that. I can't really explain the reasons against, maybe some naive belief that leaving the matter 'uninterrupted' will somehow yield rewarding results later :)

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Excuse me does anyone be waitlisted by UConn or has been off from the waiting list by now? I didn't receive a reply from UConn. Or perhaps they were too busy to send me a rejection letter :unsure:

Hello Everyone,

I made a decision regarding the school I'm attending and officially notified them last week. I still haven't emailed one school to "turn them down" just yet because I've been waiting for a reimbursement check for traveling to the open house (which was March 16-17) and didn't want to ruffle any feathers. 

Question: Should I keep waiting for the check before I notify them? Will they not reimburse me for deciding a different program is a better fit? What's the best way to go about this?

Many thanks!

Hello Everyone,

I made a decision regarding the school I'm attending and officially notified them last week. I still haven't emailed one school to "turn them down" just yet because I've been waiting for a reimbursement check for traveling to the open house (which was March 16-17) and didn't want to ruffle any feathers. 

Question: Should I keep waiting for the check before I notify them? Will they not reimburse me for deciding a different program is a better fit? What's the best way to go about this?

Many thanks!

Of course they will reimburse you! They already promised they would reimburse you. I hadn't gotten any of my reimbursement checks when I turned places down. They decided that it was worth it to pay you to come visit, they can't go back on it now. Please let them know you won't be attending so that people on the waitlist have a chance!

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Excuse me does anyone be waitlisted by UConn or has been off from the waiting list by now? I didn't receive a reply from UConn. Or perhaps they were too busy to send me a rejection letter :unsure:

Hi Alohomoraaa, as far as I know they notified waitlisted people a few weeks ago :/ I'm not sure why you haven't heard anything, as it looks like they have also rejected people. I would suggest you check the online portal you used to apply, and if there's nothing there, email the grad admissions chairs (Jon Sprouse and Susi Wurmbrand).

Of course they will reimburse you! They already promised they would reimburse you. I hadn't gotten any of my reimbursement checks when I turned places down. They decided that it was worth it to pay you to come visit, they can't go back on it now. Please let them know you won't be attending so that people on the waitlist have a chance!

Thanks for the encouragement! I just sent out the emails thanking them for the opportunity and being so hospitable, but that another school is better fit.

I do hope someone else is able to benefit from that! 

I'm admitted to MA linguistics programs at Syracuse University and North Carolina State University, both with sufficient funding. I'm having such a hard time deciding which program I should join. I've actually done a lot of work researching both schools--contacting alumni, looking at their courses, etc.-- but that just makes me more undetermined. I like them both.

Any comments on these two programs? Any suggestions on how to make up my mind?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Onlyeva

I'm admitted to MA linguistics programs at Syracuse University and North Carolina State University, both with sufficient funding. I'm having such a hard time deciding which program I should join. I've actually done a lot of work researching both schools--contacting alumni, looking at their courses, etc.-- but that just makes me more undetermined. I like them both.

Thanks in advance.

Well if they're totally equal in terms of academics, Syracuse has terrible weather so you could avoid that at North Carolina :P

Well if they're totally equal in terms of academics, Syracuse has terrible weather so you could avoid that at North Carolina :P

Thank you for this quick reply!

Haha I've heard of snow in Syracuse, but really I care more about which program has better career prospects. 

Thanks in advance.

Unless you're really interested in variationist (socio)linguistics, which seems to be what NCSU could teach you well, I would say that choosing Syracuse appears to be a no-brainer if you want to get a balanced introduction to mainstream theoretical linguistics – perhaps with a little emphasis on acquisition. After all, it's a MA degree. Go to a place that will help you lay the groundwork for something that you'd like to pursue further.

Still no information from Rutgers, sent Prof. Grimshaw and email a couple of days ago and - nothing.

I'm in a similar situation with UBC and UCLA. I was in communication with professors from both places, including having been waitlisted. But neither of them replied back to the latest emails I sent (about a week ago). I guess we're really just about a week shy of April 15, so the tacit message is that we ought to man up and wait a little longer – at least, ruling out the possibility in which a snail mail has been creeping up on us, neither of us have been given a rejection yet. *sigh*

Unless you're really interested in variationist (socio)linguistics, which seems to be what NCSU could teach you well, I would say that choosing Syracuse appears to be a no-brainer if you want to get a balanced introduction to mainstream theoretical linguistics – perhaps with a little emphasis on acquisition. After all, it's a MA degree. Go to a place that will help you lay the groundwork for something that you'd like to pursue further.

Thank you for your reply! You know both of the programs! Most of the faculty members at Syracuse are not Americans and they teach various foreign languages, which seems to be the focus of their department. 

Students at Syracuse need to choose a concentration after the first semester. I might choose the one close to sociolinguistics anyway but I'll get to have the four core courses during the first semester, like phonological analysis and semantic analysis. Will having these courses be an advantage? 

I'm also wondering does NCSU have a better reputation in the linguistics field? 

Thank you so much!

Hi Alohomoraaa, as far as I know they notified waitlisted people a few weeks ago :/ I'm not sure why you haven't heard anything, as it looks like they have also rejected people. I would suggest you check the online portal you used to apply, and if there's nothing there, email the grad admissions chairs (Jon Sprouse and Susi Wurmbrand).

Many tlhanks!

I would send an email to the grad director–Grimshaw, I guess–about it.

I got a reply to my email from Rutgers. Apparently, I am on the waitlist and they'll only be able to update me around the 21st....... slightly problematic, but what can I do?

Thank you for this quick reply!

Haha I've heard of snow in Syracuse, but really I care more about which program has better career prospects. 

Just thought I would bring it up :) I'll be in upstate NY myself so weather wasn't too much of a consideration for me either, haha.

Just thought I would bring it up :) I'll be in upstate NY myself so weather wasn't too much of a consideration for me either, haha.

I just checked the weather and it's actually warmer that the city I'm from and much warmer than the city where my undergrad school is located :P