Fall 2015 MFA

Kaitipoola

Wait, can someone please clarify the Iowa acceptances on Draft? I'm not on Facebook. People are saying it's over. How many acceptances were there?

Like 2 or 3 fiction acceptances, I think? Have not seen any poetry.

I just checked the drafts, nothing in depth, but so far I've only seen four for fiction. According to some people on Drafts, Iowa takes 25 each for poetry and fiction. Last year, apparently, they were notifying people about this week. So they should have notices out by this week or next. 

I just checked the drafts, nothing in depth, but so far I've only seen four for fiction. According to some people on Drafts, Iowa takes 25 each for poetry and fiction. Last year, apparently, they were notifying people about this week. So they should have notices out by this week or next.

Thank you!!! This whole waiting game is sickening :)

Yes! Yes, it really is sick having to wait. Every day I wake up and think... okay, now it's only x-1=notification day. I estimate March tenth for the start of notification. Sooo..... 20 days to go. Unless they're merciful and notify us earlier. 

Yes! Yes, it really is sick having to wait. Every day I wake up and think... okay, now it's only x-1=notification day. I estimate March tenth for the start of notification. Sooo..... 20 days to go. Unless they're merciful and notify us earlier. 

+a million.

I actually have another Masters in a completely different field, and don't remember that admissions process being like this at all. I chalk it up (at least partially) to the size of these programs. They're all accepting a handful of people, many of whom are the exact same people, but they're attracting applications from hundreds upon hundreds more.

These are probably the factors which decide whether I get accepted. Or, more likely, rejected. 

Plus-

One of people writing a reference letter for me sent his letter to me the day after I'd asked him. It was a nice letter - said I was a pleasure to have in the classroom, was dedicated to improving my writing and that I was one of the best writers in his class (journalism) and he recommended me highly. 

Minus-

I was accepted for the MFA program back in 2003 at Sarah Lawrence and Temple. I went to Temple and was kicked out after the first year. 

I'm not sure my writing sample was strong enough.

My personal statement probably blows. 

Who knows-

I have a masters in teaching. I taught high school English for a year on a Navajo reservation. I finished my Masters in Teaching in 20011. 

One odd quirk? I flunked a class I needed to have passed to graduate from UWa the summer before I went to Temple, but I didn't. So I went to grad school without having graduated from undergrad. Ha! I bet I'm one of a select few with that dubious distinction. 

I did finally graduate from the University of Washington... three years later. 

Edited by SarahWakes

These are probably the factors which decide whether I get accepted. Or, more likely, rejected. 

Plus-

One of people writing a reference letter for me sent his letter to me the day after I'd asked him. It was a nice letter - said I was a pleasure to have in the classroom, was dedicated to improving my writing and that I was one of the best writers in his class (journalism) and he recommended me highly. 

Minus-

I was accepted for the MFA program back in 2003 at Sarah Lawrence and Temple. I went to Temple and was kicked out after the first year. 

I'm not sure my writing sample was strong enough.

My personal statement probably blows. 

Who knows-

I have a masters in teaching. I taught high school English for a year on a Navajo reservation. I finished my Masters in Teaching in 20011. 

One odd quirk? I flunked a class I needed to have passed to graduate from UWa the summer before I went to Temple, but I didn't. So I went to grad school without having graduated from undergrad. Ha! I bet I'm one of a select few with that dubious distinction. 

I did finally graduate from the University of Washington... three years later. 

Quite a detour there. But, honestly, I don't think any of that will matter. Of all the people whom I've spoken with (that have served on selection committees), they say all that matters (or at least 95% or it) is the writing sample.

Yes, totally. My plan B would've been continue working and apply next year. But I have 2 acceptances, both of which I would totally go to. So I guess I don't have a worst case scenario anymore.

Yeah, I have three acceptances, but it's not like Cornell or Iowa-level. I'm debating whether or not I want to wait and try again the next year or go to a slightly less academic or prestigious program.

Here's my morning so far:

1. Opened my inbox to an email from Iowa!!

2. The subject line was related to financial aid, so surely this meant I was accepted!!

3. Upon review, the email was letting me know that, "We are in the process of reviewing your financial aid information for the 2015 - 2016 academic year; however, we are unable to consider you for financial aid at this time since you have not been admitted to a degree program for 2015 - 2016."

4. Major, stomach-sinking, heart-dropping, tear-shedding, every-other-cliche-imaginable level disappointment.

5. Still trying to figure out if this was a form email, or a preview of a rejection to come. 

Edited by shoopster

Octoberstormxx and emburst, may I ask which programs you've been accepted into? My plan B is also to keep working and reapply next year if I don't make it this year, so we'll see what happens. 

And to everyone: I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one anxiously awaiting responses from programs - hang in there! 

2. The subject line was related to financial aid, so surely this meant I was accepted!!

3. Upon review, the email was letting me know that, "We are in the process of reviewing your financial aid information for the 2015 - 2016 academic year; however, we are unable to consider you for financial aid at this time since you have not been admitted to a degree program for 2015 - 2016."

4. Major, stomach-sinking, heart-dropping, tear-shedding, every-other-cliche-imaginable level disappointment.

5. Still trying to figure out if this was a form email, or a preview of a rejection to come. 

Octoberstormxx and emburst, may I ask which programs you've been accepted into? My plan B is also to keep working and reapply next year if I don't make it this year, so we'll see what happens. 

And to everyone: I'm glad to hear that I'm not the only one anxiously awaiting responses from programs - hang in there!

Mine are Chatham University, Kingston University and Lindenwood University.

Chatham is the one I'm a finalist for scholarships for. They have one of the two only writing for children programs in the country. So that also makes them a bit special to me.

Hmm, that's so strange. Who is the email from? Financial aid? Maybe financial aid looked at your file before the admissions office got the word to update your admission status? I think there is still hope.

No, I got the same e-mail ages ago. It's basically just saying your financial aid has processed, but you're not accepted yet to a program so they can't do anything with it basically.

Edited by Octoberstormxx

October, those are two great programs. I'd be very wary of skipping out on either of them to try for Cornell or Iowa next year. With MFAs, admission is so hard to gain, not only might you not get into Iowa or Cornell--you might not get into WUSTL or OSU again.

Hey everyone, joining the forum and posting for the first time. I didn't believe that waiting would be the worst part while slogging through apps, but now I do!

Just wanted to see if anyone else is in waitlist purgatory with me. I've been waitlisted by 3 programs, but beyond that it's been an unfunded acceptance (which I can't do) and many rejections. I know a WL is better than a solid no, but it's still so frustrating! After all the work, it'd be so frustrating to come close, yet end with no real options.

Anyway, congrats to those who got into programs they want to attend! GL to everyone else.

Hm, that's surprisingly few. Well, here's to hoping.

Has anyone mapped out their worst case scenario? I have been planning in my head what I'll do if x or y happens.

Worst case scenario...hmm. I have considered going back for some kind of technical degree that would provide me with a specific skill set so I could find a decent job. Not sure what that would be yet, but it seems like a wise move. I know so many people who have done this post-BA because it is just too difficult to find work with only a BA anymore.

I also need to get my undergrad debt under control. If I could work for a few years and get some more of it paid off, I think I would feel a bit more at ease going to an MFA program, knowing that it wasn't just sitting there gaining interest for 2-3 years. Ick!!! Also, I would be a bit more at ease knowing that I had a technical degree/ skill set that I could fall back on after graduating from an MFA program.

I would probably re-apply to MFA programs again in the future. I've already learned a lot about what I would do differently next time. Particularly, applying to a wider variety of schools...and not only applying places with a 1-2% acceptance rate. What was I thinking?

I would probably also seriously try to move out of my hometown, which I have been wanting to do for years. I would like to live some place where it isn't miserably cold 5 months out of the year! I also live in a large university town, so I'm constantly competing for jobs with people who have advanced degrees... and it doesn't end up in my favor. :/

Anyway, just some thoughts... No matter what, I'll keep reading and writing and trying to improve.

ruylopez, that is not a bad game plan at all. That is basically what happened to me. I had applied straight out of undergrad, but did not get into the place I wanted, started working for a few years, got my undergrad debt in control, then I decided last year it was the right time for me to apply again (feeling much better about my writing and financial situation).