Fall 2015 MFA

Kaitipoola

I was accepted to iowa for poetry and while I'm super excited, I'm also scared that the program won't be as supportive as some of the other, smaller-cohort programs I've been accepted to.

Can you ask for a list of contacts of current students? Or visit? This might help you gauge the level of competitiveness (I'm sure there is some level of competitiveness at all programs) and what you're tolerable of. Off-note, Congratulations on Iowa!!

Their, while Iowa doesn't sound as supportive as some other programs, they probably do the best job of getting their students published and teaching jobs. That may probably makes the experience well worth the pressure. Also, some programs might be a bit too supportive and reluctant to actually critique work. From my limited experience, you want a balance. I would only choose a program other than Iowa's if they are offering a much better funding package--and even then, I wouldn't be certain it's worth it.

Congrats on the Iowa acceptance, theretheirthey're! I wish I had your problem, though ;-) I applied to ten schools and so far I have 3 rejections, 3 presumed rejections and no hope for an acceptance at the rest. But, I applied to some competitive programs so maybe next year with some revision :-) Iowa does seem very competitive and someone earlier today even described it as "cutthroat." You should choose the program that feels like a good fit for you personally. It sounds like you are mega talented, though, and could compete fairly well with the "cutthroats" if that is what you choose to do. Congrats, again! And good luck in the fall wherever you end up going :-)

I agree you need balance. But I would like to offer that being supportive does not necessarily mean being less critical. I see support as someone being able to see the vision you have for your work and focusing their criticisms to help realize that vision. In the end, I guess, you need to know what kind of environment will allow you to flourish the most. Which, I admit, is a flawed suggestion, because how can you know you won't flourish the most there unless you've been through that environment? Haha, clearly, I've been thinking too much about this.

I agree. I wouldn't worry about people being too supportive in workshop to the point where they are no longer being critical. I have heard good things about Iowa from current students who are in Draft. I would definitely ask the department if you can talk to a few :)

Edited by samson36

Just heard word that I've been wait listed at Syracuse and am beginning to despair that I will turn up a goose egg. Does anyone have any advice for this situation? Would writing an email expressing my desire to go increase my chances?

Also, Theretheir—any idea if there are more Iowa poetry acceptances to come?

hey yall,

i just got an email from Michener saying they were missing my cover sheet (which i did send but probably got lost in their hundreds of application emails). i know im reading too much into this but why would they email me about that? unless im a contender? considering they've been rejecting people for about a month now... i dunno, it kinda got me excited :) 

theretheirthey're, congrats on iowa! and yea i've heard its cutthroat but i think you've got the skills to make it; you got in!

On the other hand, this is the exact day they notified last year (according to grad cafe).  So they can't just be reading them now...right?  Clearly I'm not over analyzing this over here or anything :)

Hey Bug128, congrats on the Syracuse WL! I'm in the same boat as you, but w/ other programs. Have you asked for any info about the WL itself, like how many ppl are on it? Not sure what we're supposed to do now otherwise, besides sit on our hands.

For myself, I'm having a hard time trying to guess whether I actually have a shot in *#$% at getting off the WL. I'd really like to go to one of the programs, and at this point just kicking myself for small things I could've improved in my app. 

Btw I like the name, MFAhell! UT Austin must be past the early rounds by now, one would think. Good luck to you and emburst!    

sandy bubbles: they say there are like seven other people but won't say which number I am and that the number they take off the WL can run anywhere from zero to three or four, depending on how many of the early offers accept

Those are pretty good odds, Bug128! I mean, they could take up to 50%, which is way better than whatever Syracuse's acceptance rate normally is--like 1 or 2%. Plus, others on the WL might decide to go elsewhere, too. 

just putting it out there: how competitive do you think iowa is internally? do you think students support one another or is it pretty cutthroat?

Great question. I'm not sure how to answer it, but it's something I've wondered about a lot myself. I used to read the Poets & Writers speakeasy MFA forum a lot for insight into programs, but that forum isn't very active now. However, there are postings on there dating back about 10 years. From what I've read on that forum, Iowa was more of a "cut-throat" environment when Frank Conroy was there (from 1987-2005). Now that Sam Chang is the program director, she's tried to steer the program away from that image. However, from articles I've read online, a lot of students really loved Conroy and found him to be very sensitive and nurturing toward their writing. I've also read interviews with Sam Chang and she seems great. It's so hard to tell how much the MFA director has to do with the overall "feeling" of the program, or if it just varies year by year depending on the makeup of the cohort and other variables...

From an article in the Washington Post about Conroy: "He could be a blunt, forceful teacher, unsparing in his criticism of students' work. Yet he also was loved by his students, who included Jayne Ann Phillips, Chris Offutt, ZZ Packer and Anthony Swofford."

I've heard a lot of contradictory things about the program, and I suppose it's just because everyone's Iowa experience is so subjective. I've heard it's an incredibly supportive environment where everyone is really excited about their peers' work, and then I've heard about people who felt like it was a negative environment (Sandra Cisneros, for example: "I like to tell people I'm a writer despite the Iowa Writers' Workshop").

I can't speak for the program, but having spent some time in Iowa City, I will say that the literary heritage runs so deep that you can feel it when you're walking around downtown, on campus, going to bookstores, etc. If you go to a random cafe there are always people sitting there working on their books or reading. It's a place where you can say "I'm a writer" and nobody will give you a funny look. Writing seems to be a given there. The university and the town do a lot to support writers and take writing seriously. That's not something I could say about too many other towns I've visited! 

I received the following e-mail from UNCG this morning, and I am wondering if anyone else got a similar one.  Not quite sure what to make of it.  Don't want to get my hopes up. 

Dear (my first name),

Just wanted to send you a quick note to let you know that your writing sample is with the committee here at UNCG and getting some good preliminary readings. The process here is a slow one as the members of the admission committee read all of the samples, meet, and discuss the full application file.

We generally begin making admissions decisions in mid-March and continue through the Council of Graduate Schools, April 15th deadline for schools and applicants to make decisions.

If you have any questions in the meantime, please free to email me or give Jim Clark, the director of our program, a call. His number is 336-334-5459.

Best,

Terry

Terry L. Kennedy, Associate Director

MFA Writing Program

I am not on the FB draft page, so I don't know if anyone there has received this message.  Do you think they sent this to everyone or should I take some encouragement from this?

I received this email a few weeks ago and, I know from the draft, at least 4 or 5 others received the same email as well. It looks like someone else also received a similar email yesterday, but from Jim, the director of the program. I took it as a good sign - perhaps a hint that we've made it through the first round of cuts. Good luck to you!

While I sit here twiddling my thumbs for the 4 decisions I'm waiting on, here's a question:

I already have a Masters degree. Think that makes me a less desirable MFA candidate than someone who does not? I've heard that most programs look (almost) exclusively at your writing sample, but I have a hard time believing that...