Fall 2015 MFA

Kaitipoola

got my first rejection --Ohio state. No surprises except the really nice rejection email...did they basically say everyone's application was competitive and ask them to reapply?

I'm trying to see the silver lining here but I'm not sure if I'm reading too far into it.

Anyone know who will be notifying next week?

got my first rejection --Ohio state. No surprises except the really nice rejection email...did they basically say everyone's application was competitive and ask them to reapply?

I'm trying to see the silver lining here but I'm not sure if I'm reading too far into it.

Hard to say really. Iowa has been contacting the past week. I imagine quite a few will pop up this week being basically the last week of February. Hopefully waitlists and rejections for Iowa will hear back this week, possibly some acceptances if any remain. I imagine though Brown might contact this week... they had a pretty early deadline. Edited by Octoberstormxx

Oh wow I completely forgot about Brown —that will be interesting. I doubt that waitlists for Iowa will hear results this early —the deadline for accepting offers to Iowa is April 15th, and I feel like accepted applicants will at least wait for the other schools to report back before they accept / reject Iowa's offer. 

Oh wow I completely forgot about Brown —that will be interesting. I doubt that waitlists for Iowa will hear results this early —the deadline for accepting offers to Iowa is April 15th, and I feel like accepted applicants will at least wait for the other schools to report back before they accept / reject Iowa's offer.

I am not sure. Cornell has already contacted their waitlisted. I think some universities decide those waitlisted at the same time they decide those accepted. I'm not sure if Iowa follows the same model though. Edited by Octoberstormxx

@ovalwriter

Ethically, it's not good form to renege on a done deal, but I don't think there is any financial penalty. Some programs (read: not fully funded ones) will make you pay a deposit when you accept, and you will lose your deposit if you withdraw. I don't really see a scenario in which you would accept an offer and then decide not to attend, barring extraordinary circumstances, seeing how you should only accept an offer once you get results from every school you're interested in. 

Thank you, HeyIowa.

I can't imagine it happening, either. I've read a few posts about programs giving people an accept/deny deadline before other schools have blasted out their decisions, and I was wondering what people do.

Congrats on your acceptances. If my pleading prayers get through the roof, maybe we'll meet in Iowa. :-)

I really need to remove myself from the MFA Draft page, but it's like telling yourself to stop looking back at the car accident you just passed.

RE: Iowa -- I only saw 2 fiction acceptances posted on Draft, and 3-4 poetry. Someone posted today that she got a rejection letter, but not sure if it was email or snail mail.

I haven't seen anything about an Iowa waitlist yet, but would be surprised if they maintained much of one. I'm guessing their yield is close to 100%.

Edited by shoopster

I really need to remove myself from the MFA Draft page, but it's like telling yourself to stop looking back at the car accident you just passed.

RE: Iowa -- I only saw 2 fiction acceptances posted on Draft, and 3-4 poetry. Someone posted today that she got a rejection letter, but not sure if it was email or snail mail.

I haven't seen anything about an Iowa waitlist yet, but would be surprised if they maintained much of one. I'm guessing their yield is close to 100%.

if there are so few claimed acceptances from Iowa, is it silly to still hold out hope? 2 or 3 is not much considering they accept 50 people (~25 per genre) . im just keeping my fingers crossed, begging the ancestors/deities/etc..., im willing to sacrifice a lamb at this point. 

good luck this week everyone!

if there are so few claimed acceptances from Iowa, is it silly to still hold out hope? 2 or 3 is not much considering they accept 50 people (~25 per genre) . im just keeping my fingers crossed, begging the ancestors/deities/etc..., im willing to sacrifice a lamb at this point. 

good luck this week everyone!

I think there is reason to hold out hope. When UMass in Amherst sent out their acceptance the Draft page practically exploded. Just give it some more time. Hang in there guys.

Edited by Octoberstormxx

I received the following e-mail from UNCG this morning, and I am wondering if anyone else got a similar one.  Not quite sure what to make of it.  Don't want to get my hopes up. 

Dear (my first name),

Just wanted to send you a quick note to let you know that your writing sample is with the committee here at UNCG and getting some good preliminary readings. The process here is a slow one as the members of the admission committee read all of the samples, meet, and discuss the full application file.

We generally begin making admissions decisions in mid-March and continue through the Council of Graduate Schools, April 15th deadline for schools and applicants to make decisions.

If you have any questions in the meantime, please free to email me or give Jim Clark, the director of our program, a call. His number is 336-334-5459.

Best,

Terry

Terry L. Kennedy, Associate Director

MFA Writing Program

I am not on the FB draft page, so I don't know if anyone there has received this message.  Do you think they sent this to everyone or should I take some encouragement from this?

I received the following e-mail from UNCG this morning, and I am wondering if anyone else got a similar one.  Not quite sure what to make of it.  Don't want to get my hopes up. 

Dear (my first name),

Just wanted to send you a quick note to let you know that your writing sample is with the committee here at UNCG and getting some good preliminary readings. The process here is a slow one as the members of the admission committee read all of the samples, meet, and discuss the full application file.

We generally begin making admissions decisions in mid-March and continue through the Council of Graduate Schools, April 15th deadline for schools and applicants to make decisions.

If you have any questions in the meantime, please free to email me or give Jim Clark, the director of our program, a call. His number is 336-334-5459.

Best,

Terry

Terry L. Kennedy, Associate Director

MFA Writing Program

I am not on the FB draft page, so I don't know if anyone there has received this message.  Do you think they sent this to everyone or should I take some encouragement from this?

I would take that as a good sign. I doubt it's a mass e-mail.

Edited by Octoberstormxx

Thanks, Octoberstormxx!  I have only experienced rejection thus far, so I am afraid to get my hopes up too much.  Glad to have not joined the FB draft page, because it sounds completely nerve-wracking.  

You're welcome. I haven't heard of anyone getting an e-mail like that before from a university where the university wasn't seriously considering accepting them. I mean, obviously there's never any guarantee of getting a place in any program, but I'd say that's as close you'll get to hearing you're accepted before you've actually been accepted. Good luck.

On 2/23/2015 at 7:22 PM, HeyIowa said:

Do you guys know roughly when Syracuse or UVA will announce results?

UVA is any where from late March to early April. Last year acceptances and waitlists went out on March 18th.

Thanks Samson36 —how's UVA?

It's great! Love the community here, and the energy. Everyone is very supportive of one another (the program is big on non-competitiveness). Can't say too much about the fiction side but the visiting writers they've had this year have been great—James Salter, Meg Wolitzer, Caryl Phillips, and others.

Judging by the comments on the results survey, the bit about applications being competitive does indeed seem to be part of OSU's stock rejection mail. Guh.

I'm... not even sure if I should be waiting to hear back from Brown lmao. On the other hand -- dream school! On the other hand, they take in so few people! Aaaargh!

In other news, it looks like Syracuse has started sending out acceptances? Ohboy.