NSF GRFP 2014-2015

geographyrocks

E/E, E/E, VG/VG for an HM in Archaeology.  My reviews were all really great; however, reviewer three thought I needed to express how my research broadly impacts non-academic communities. I kinda figured that may be an issue...

I'm slightly bummed about not getting the funding as this was my last year of eligibility, but c'est la vie!  Now, time to start prepping for the DDRIG :)

Congrats to all who received the award! It's such an amazing accomplishment!!! 

I applied last year as a senior and got HM with very little feedback. Took all that feedback, improved my application, and applied this year as a first year graduate student and got VG/G, G/G, G/F--not recommended. A lot more feedback this year but, of course, it would have been more helpful if I had gotten it last year...

The things that really bothered me is that they weren't really all that negative but I was still scored poorly. Also, they seemed fixated on the fact that I didn't have a single publication despite having multiple (10) local, national, and international conference presentations, and a publication in progress. My research plan wasn't really "specific" with methods, which I guess I do see, but at the same time, I came to a totally new field and new university so I had a big learning curve to take care of (something that someone who knows senior year exactly what he/she is doing for research who is not switching universities or programs does not have to go through).

I'll come at it from a different angle next year and hope for the best. In all, I think I have a plan to work with based on the feedback I got. So...maybe next year.

Congratulations to everyone who got the award! Maybe we could start a thread with advice you have about improving applications.

Yeah I had someone give me a P/P (while everyone else gave me G/VG) and his actual feedback didn't seem to be very negative, other than pointing out that the research proposal was a bit rough and needed more development, and my recommendations didn't mention support for my specific research path. I have no idea why he gave me a P for broader impacts, since he wrote about those broader impacts factually and then concluded it at that without any mention of where his opinion that the broader impacts were poor came from.

There were a lot of great applicants and I'm not bitter about not receiving it, but I am confused by how two of three gave me reasonably good scores and this one guy seemed to absolutely hate my application.

VG/F, G/G, VG/F. Not awarded.

Surprisingly positive feedback, considering that the application was a little bit rushed.

I'll try again next year as a graduate student :)

I also got a comment on how "unexceptional" my academic record is. I had a 3.4 for undergrad (life science major, two minors) and I took four advanced classes in math which were not in my major or minors, in addition to organic chemistry! Come on....maybe when they see my nearly 4.0 in engineering for grad school, they will change their minds next year.

E/VG, G/VG, VG/VG  

Not awarded, but very positive feedback. I didn't have high expectations since I wrote it in a week without any guidance whatsoever. Guess they thought my proposed project was a little too ambitious for my prior experience in the field. Though I assumed the point of grad school is to broaden your skills and research techniques and build on what you already know.... At least I have two more chances! Huge congrats to the winners. It's a massive accomplishment. 

E/VG, G/VG, VG/VG  

Not awarded, but very positive feedback. I didn't have high expectations since I wrote it in a week without any guidance whatsoever. Guess they thought my proposed project was a little too ambitious for my prior experience in the field. Though I assumed the point of grad school is to broaden your skills and research techniques and build on what you already know.... At least I have two more chances! Huge congrats to the winners. It's a massive accomplishment. 

That's kind of...odd. I can't believe they would bash you for going outside of prior experience. God forbid you learn something new.

Nice job with such rapid turnaround, though!

Not awarded: E/E, G/G, VG/G

I was given some very useful (although harsh) feedback, and I'd like to use it to apply again next year. However, I'm not currently in school, which means that I don't have any opportunities at the moment to gain additional publications/conferences. I haven't been in an academic environment now for two years. I know that if I apply as a first year grad student, the stakes will be higher and I will be expected to have publications. Does anybody have any advice about this? Any success stories despite lack of publications? Any ideas for how to boost my CV really quickly during the first few months of grad school...even though this will be a relatively new field for me? Thank you, and congratulations to the winners!

I just wanted to add what one of my reviewers said about my GPA that seemed really unnecessary. I went to a large public state school and had a 4.0 in undergrad with two separate science bachelors degrees and a humanities minor and he commented that "While the PI's 4.0 gpa is impressive, it is more than likely due to grade inflation". Like what... That was so unnecessary. Come at me bro. 

E/E E/E E/VG

I GOT IT OH MY GOD AAAAAAHHHH!

I applied 100% in Chemistry - Chemical Theory, Models and Computational Methods

Aside from spending a huge amount of time working on making a very coherent and structurally appealing application through readings sent to 10+ people I know, I belive the tipping point was my broader impacts.

As I looked through the feedback, I saw that they are really huge on impact. They'd like to see how my research would benefit the society at large, and I could have been much more clear about that.

Congrats! Would you mind elaborating on that last bit?

The most notable of these: I've been volunteering with an afterschool group as a middle school science instructor for minority students in Philadelphia middle schools. I supplied a very small anecdote about this and a sentence or two detailing my work.

Additionally, I mentioned that I am a member of a minority group, and worked my motivation for broader impacts about my personal struggles.

That's kind of...odd. I can't believe they would bash you for going outside of prior experience. God forbid you learn something new.

Nice job with such rapid turnaround, though!

I kind of got bashed for the same thing. Switching from physics to BME.

The most notable of these: I've been volunteering with an afterschool group as a middle school science instructor for minority students in Philadelphia middle schools. I supplied a very small anecdote about this and a sentence or two detailing my work.

Additionally, I mentioned that I am a member of a minority group, and worked my motivation for broader impacts about my personal struggles.

Did this first thing; reviewer who gave me G/G said I need to explain how I'm integrating my research and proposal through STEM outreach in my middle school. He must have known he was making a ridiculous ask, what am I supposed to say beyond this? Give lesson plans? LMAO. Glad your reviewers had sense about this! :) Good work.

Not awarded: E/E, G/G, VG/G

I was given some very useful (although harsh) feedback, and I'd like to use it to apply again next year. However, I'm not currently in school, which means that I don't have any opportunities at the moment to gain additional publications/conferences. I haven't been in an academic environment now for two years. I know that if I apply as a first year grad student, the stakes will be higher and I will be expected to have publications. Does anybody have any advice about this? Any success stories despite lack of publications? Any ideas for how to boost my CV really quickly during the first few months of grad school...even though this will be a relatively new field for me? Thank you, and congratulations to the winners!

Could you work as a lab technician? Start grad school early? I don't imagine that you'd be able to get on many publications having only being in a lab for a few months. In my labs at least, it takes at least 6 months to a year of dedicated research to be a coauthor. I did get on one paper during a summer, but I was working 12 hours a day and 7 days a week for three months. 

Did this first thing; reviewer who gave me G/G said I need to explain how I'm integrating my research and proposal through STEM outreach in my middle school. He must have known he was making a ridiculous ask, what am I supposed to say beyond this? Give lesson plans? LMAO. Glad your reviewers had sense about this! :) Good work.

I made sure the woman who directs the group I work with write one of my letters. I suppose that was the proof.

E/E, E/E, VG/E  was awarded honorable mention last year, and this year as a 2nd year grad student (life science type of guy). Got similar reviews last year, both years all praise with nothing really to work on. 

I'm a bit jaded about it, but really this is a foreshadow of inevitably what competitive grant writing will be like. Thus, I am gearing/tooling up for a career in regulatory affairs post-phd rather than trying to compete for what little money is available to do science.

For those that care to know, 1 first author pub in jchem ed (low impact factor journal) as an undergrad, 1st author pub in grad school (journal of molecular biology), and just got reviewer comments back on a PNAS submission (I think I can address the comments and have them accept it). 

Come from an industry background, 1 patent from a large pharmaceutical company. Did lots of science literacy work through undergrad up until present (reviewers eat science literacy work up at all levels for those that still have opportunities to apply). Also was first generation college student, grew up poor in an atypical family setting, disadvantaged status (financially growing up), but not a minority (disadvantaged status has not really ever helped me win any fellowships...it almost seems like a disclaimer to the funding entity that you are different but not in a good way).

My last few chances are NDSEG and HHMI Gilliam. Wish me luck guys, I certainly am pulling for all of you wherever you land on the list. Good luck, and great science :)

Edited by grfpishard

I kind of got bashed for the same thing. Switching from physics to BME.

Yup, super disappointing. Two of my reviewers were extremely supportive of my transition from mathematics to life sciences and were happy with my academic record (both gave E/E), but my last reviewer specifically said that I should have applied for the award in applied mathematics instead of life sciences for a biophysics proposal. It's upsetting because the other two sounded really enthusiastic about my application.

Edited by velli

Yup, super disappointing. Two of my reviewers were extremely supportive of my transition from mathematics to life sciences and were happy with my academic record (both gave E/E), but my last reviewer specifically said that I should have applied for the award in applied mathematics instead of life sciences for a biophysics proposal. It's upsetting because the other two sounded really enthusiastic about my application.

Yepp. Very similar. Good luck with your field change!

Awarded. E/VG E/E E/E. 
For intellectual merit, I only have ~3.5 GPA, but had multiple non-first author publications. For BI, I had essentially nothing, but listed what I *planned* on doing for outreach and how my work would benefit society, the reviewers loved it. 

Awarded. E/VG E/E E/E for Social Sciences (International-based projects)

First year graduate student, no publications, but heavy emphasis on BI.

Please feel free to message me if you have any questions about applying for the social sciences. Reading past proposals really helped me.

E/E, E/E, VG/E  was awarded honorable mention last year, and this year as a 2nd year grad student (life science type of guy). Got similar reviews last year, both years all praise with nothing really to work on. 

I'm a bit jaded about it, but really this is a foreshadow of inevitably what competitive grant writing will be like. Thus, I am gearing/tooling up for a career in regulatory affairs post-phd rather than trying to compete for what little money is available to do science.

For those that care to know, 1 first author pub in jchem ed (low impact factor journal) as an undergrad, 1st author pub in grad school (journal of molecular biology), and just got reviewer comments back on a PNAS submission (I think I can address the comments and have them accept it). 

Come from an industry background, 1 patent from a large pharmaceutical company. Did lots of science literacy work through undergrad up until present (reviewers eat science literacy work up at all levels for those that still have opportunities to apply). Also was first generation college student, grew up poor in an atypical family setting, disadvantaged status (financially growing up), but not a minority (disadvantaged status has not really ever helped me win any fellowships...it almost seems like a disclaimer to the funding entity that you are different but not in a good way).

My last few chances are NDSEG and HHMI Gilliam. Wish me luck guys, I certainly am pulling for all of you wherever you land on the list. Good luck, and great science :)

What are you doing during graduate school to gear up for a career in RA?

I worked in a small biotech before my PhD and got some on the job experience supporting regulatory submissions but obviously I wasn't leading any of that work.  I haven't found a way to beef up my resume or do anything related to this during graduate school. I'm also a 2nd year life sciences.

Ugh. I know I shouldn't care.... but I checked the list this year, and personally knowing 3 of the girls who got it, only one of them really deserved it. It's so sad when you know the inner workings of this messed up process (like advisers who lie in their letters of rec).

Bottom line: I'm sure a lot of applicants deserve it, but don't you dare judge yourself by whether or not you get awarded. There's no reason the reviewers can sort out the bullshitters.

What are you doing during graduate school to gear up for a career in RA?

I worked in a small biotech before my PhD and got some on the job experience supporting regulatory submissions but obviously I wasn't leading any of that work.  I haven't found a way to beef up my resume or do anything related to this during graduate school. I'm also a 2nd year life sciences.

Hello Expresso,

Well, a bit of background before I give you an answer. I worked for a company called Perrigo (biggest US domestic producer of generic medicines...you've seen equate brand in wal mart im sure) in a lowly tech position right after undergrad. Job-shadowed RA people and did some method validation work in QC, as well as get on a project where the company was trying to submit an ANDA to get the 180-day exclusivity rights for selling the generic product (first filer that is approved gets the rights). Really enjoyed the project, but as you have noticed pretty much everyone who leads in RA has a PhD in a hard life science, or a pharmD, or even MD's. The idea that RA people work up the ladder vocationally seemed very dead from my experience though I recall one guy who moved from R&D laterally into RA, however I was not there long enough to know if he moved up the ladder. Took a short stint a pfizer before heading to grad school and the climate seemed the same there...decent amount of RA hiring, but from people with the qualifications I mentioned in the last sentence.

That all said, TOPRA and RACS have certifications that are probably worth your while to get during you last year of PhD school. This would show hiring entities that you are proactive, and salary negotiating would certainly be easier if you can talk the talk, which is what getting the certifications should be about.

Lastly, there are RA chapters that meet to discuss all things RA. A quick google search will point you in a good direction. This is also the easiest way to network and up to date feedback from RA pro's covering a large variety of drug and biomedical device products.

There is a barrier to entry, but given that all govt.'s regulate drugs and biomed devices its a career option that is good for the long term IMHO. 

Hope my answer helps you in some way.