GRE English Lit (Sept/Oct 2014)

Okay. I need someone to tell me that a score below 600 is no big deal. I was preaching this psalm a few weeks ago, but now I'm starting to worry again. Reassure me, good people!

I have a really hard time imagining adcoms looking over your materials, thinking you'll be a great fit, your research sounds awesome, SOP is spot-on--oh wait. You have mediocre GRE Subject scores. Never mind. We're not admitting you.

Okay. I need someone to tell me that a score below 600 is no big deal. I was preaching this psalm a few weeks ago, but now I'm starting to worry again. Reassure me, good people!

It's absolutely no big deal! The rest of your profile, from the looks of it, is super strong. The Subject Test score is going to the last thing on their mind (if you didn't bomb it, which you didn't). You did pretty well on your General, didn't you?

I just want to add some extra reassurance! :) You're such a strong applicant, Wyatt's Torch, and your scores are not bad at all! But more importantly (heh), my professors have all had exactly the SAME reaction, even my mentor, to my 650: "Oh, good job dear! Now your admissions committees can forget about your scores." One professor who sits on the adcomm at my school explicitly said that "we don't distinguish between similar scores," as long as the student is in the right ballpark. It really is just a hurdle; unless one's scores are abysmally bad (which yours are not) there is NO cause for concern. :)

Guys, I got a 600 on the Subject test and a 164 on the Verbal on the General one... is that ok?? Good enough for top schools? Like is Columbia gonna roll their eyes at me? =/

Congrats, all of you!! So many good scores!! =]

Guys, I got a 600 on the Subject test and a 164 on the Verbal on the General one... is that ok?? Good enough for top schools? Like is Columbia gonna roll their eyes at me? =/

A bit better than me on BOTH fronts, so...let's hope so! (To the "good enough" part...not the "Columbia rolling their eyes" part!)

Edited by Wyatt's Torch

I get the feeling that they roll their eyes at all applicants. It's the ones that get the fewest rolls that get offers.

I get the feeling that they roll their eyes at all applicants. It's the ones that get the fewest rolls that get offers.

Ha! This just gave me a good belly laugh. In fact, I think it's sig-worthy. Congratulations, 1Q84, you have joined Unraed in my Hall of Sig.

Ha! This just gave me a good belly laugh. In fact, I think it's sig-worthy. Congratulations, 1Q84, you have joined Unraed in my Hall of Sig.

Wow! What an honor. 

6qBHT.gif

And I said that sincerely as someone who is also applying to Columbia with similar stats. Bring on the eye rolls!

• 1 month later...

I was very upset by my experience. ETS was completely disorganized and our test room happened to be beside a full-blown concert, which shook the walls of the room as we took the test. We started an hour late because who knows? They just felt like it.  It was all very frazzling.

Update on this: I filed a complaint about this in November and (after many brush-offs and stalling) finally had it resolved today: they're offering me a free re-test in April. Really not sure if I'm going to bother taking them up on this offer. Perhaps I might have to when all my results come out in the next month or so...

Update on this: I filed a complaint about this in November and (after many brush-offs and stalling) finally had it resolved today: they're offering me a free re-test in April. Really not sure if I'm going to bother taking them up on this offer. Perhaps I might have to when all my results come out in the next month or so...

Well, whether you do or not, congrats on the outcome of your complaint!