MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

For a variety of reasons, I've decided to wait until the next round of admissions for fall 2016. So, there's ample time to look more closesly at some of the other programs that don't get as much PR. Did you look at Edinboro University in PA?

*I was coming from NY, as well.  Finished my BFA at Eastern Michigan University (also, IMO, a hidden gem) when they offered me a full scholarship to do so.  While I do miss NY, and will probably apply to Hunter, there just seems to be more opportunity outside of NYC for a sculptor.

I hadn't looked at Edinboro when I applied (it's about 45 minutes further from Pittsburgh, more than an hour further from NYC, and they also don't have a graduate wood program), but a couple of the current MFAs here went there for undergrad, and I've heard good things - I believe it's a significantly larger program, and Erie strikes me as an interesting place, though I don't know much about it.

For me, one of the deciding factors for leaving NY was taking classes at 3rd Ward in Brooklyn, and realizing that it would be extremely difficult to access foundry facilities, or good quality woodworking machines on a regular basis in the city, especially once they closed. The facilities that are possible here because of the amount of space are just too good to pass up, and I realized that if I stayed in NY, the craft side of my work would likely suffer. (And with assistantships etc, I'm paying less than what I'd pay for a year membership at 3rd Ward, with greater access to better tools, funding and grants, and getting a degree out of it besides.)

I'd also visited Albany, but it seemed kind of sad when I visited; I was expecting IUP to be the very similar, and was very pleasantly surprised/ I think a large part of it has to do with a few recent hires, who are fresh, active, and understand how to navigate the state university bureacracy to get funding to improve things here.

The other hidden gems that come up consistently are SIUC (not-so-hidden, maybe, but it wasn't something that I'd heard much about coming from NY) and Eastern Carolina University.

I know how many factors go into deciding which season to apply, but if any of those factors have to do with your application not being ready right now, IUP has a later deadline than most places (2/15 for assistantships, 5/1 otherwise), so I'd encourage you to take a look. Good luck and let me know if you have questions or would like to talk! It sounds like we may have some similar attitudes/experiences about this process.

I am new to this forum and I have found this to be an extremely valuable resource. Currently applying to the following programs for MFA Painting. Any other suggestions? Under the radar painting programs? Here is a link to my work. Opinions welcome!

www.nicolasjroche.tumblr.com

Boston University- most likely my first choice. John Walker is the department head and I am excited for the opportunity to study with him

Columbia

RISD

Yale

Carnegie Mellon - really like this program

VCU

Temple-Tyler

SAIC

Pratt

Not sure if the work on your blog is your official documentation for your school applications.

Just note that schools require that paintings and drawings are photographed showing the edge of the work. This is pretty much a standard requirement for documentation for all schools. 

Why is MICA not on your list for painting, from what I gather from past freak out forum they seem like they had an excellent painting program. I find this site very helpful too, glad I discover it so earlier, I'm a college Junior so I'll be applying next round. You can also view my portfolio below...

Thanks for the reply, I am considering MICA-hoffberger as well. I have a close friend that is adjunct faculty there. A few of those pictures are bad iPhone pics and the others were shot against a black background. I am in the process of re- documenting my work and will show the edge of the work in the next shoot. I am overwhelmed and I am having strong doubts with my current portfolio. With that being said, I had a good experience at SAIC Portfolio day and was encouraged to apply from several schools.

Hello to All...  I am applying to mfa studio art painting programs and am getting my portfolio together.  It has just posted here that the images must be photographed to the edges.  Does this mean that the paintings I have already framed cannot be included unless I remove them from the frame?  Of course, the frame covers all edges by necessity, and some damage may occur to the structure of the framing by removing the paintings.  However, some of these pieces have won prizes and I would like to include them.

Another side question:  does anyone know a resource for international mfa studio art painting programs, ie. not just in USA but most anywhere else.  I am ordering the CAA book and some info will be there, but is there not an online listing available.

Thank You!

Hi everyone. 

Im applying to Painting programs. Although, my work has a lot to do with digital tools .... in fact I've got works that are digital prints...

Would you include those in the portfolio for paintings programs...

Perhaps to SAIC, Columbia, Calarts and RCA....

What about to Yale, UCLA and Bard?

An interesting post made by another user in 2012, thought I post it here.

West

UCSD (full ride + teaching stipend)
UC Irvine (I believe there is good funding here, but unsure of details)
UCLA (both DMA and the regular arts program give up to 100+% funding with teaching)
USC (many admits get full tuition funding)
- UCSB (full finding + excellent stipend and teaching)
Stanford (full ride + excellent stipend and teaching)
UC Berkeley (full ride tuition for instate peeps, out of staters pay difference)
Mills (not always, but I have heard of 50+% funding here)
UC Davis (50-70% funding)
- UOregon (full ride + teaching stipend)
UW (full ride)
ASU (Arizona State) (full ride) + (50% tuition + Merit Scholarsihps: for International Students)

Midwest

UIowa (I believe there is full funding avail here)
Indiana (full ride, I believe)
UChicago (75% tuition funding + teaching stipend) - KEEP an eye on this program. They are dumping a TON of money into the arts here (esp. with their fabulous Logan Arts Center. A "hidden gem" of a program)
UI-C (I have heard of good funding here)
Northwestern (full ride + excellent stipend and teaching)
SAIC (I hear of one full ride and one half ride per department)
SIUC (Southern Illinois) (full ride + stipend)
UMichigan (full ride, first year travel funding, free computer, + stipend)
Ohio (both state and university) (full rides + stipend to both universities)

(I'm sure there are others in the M-W…)

South

UGA (Georgia) (excellent funding)
LSU (Louisiana) (excellent funding)
UF (Florida) (full funding)
UTex-Austin (50% or more funding, I have heard of)
Georgia Tech (MS in Digital Media is a full ride)

East

Alfred (full ride + stipend)
RPI / iEAR (half the admits get full finding)
Carnegie-Mellon (70+% funding)
RISD (Pres. Scholarships range 40K, 20K and 10K, but most pay)
Rutgers (heard of full funding)
- SUNY Buffalo (heard of good-to-full funding here)
Tyler/Temple (sometimes they do offer full funding + stipend to some first year MFAs, but 2nd yr seems to get best funding)
SFMA (has been known to dish out some decent money, but not all the time)
Yale (if you are low income, along with your parents (regardless of your age, they ask for your parent's financials), you can qualify for excellent funding. If not, you will pay)
MIT / ACT (I have heard of around 50% funding)
Univ of Maryland (full ride + teaching stipend)
VCU (70+% funding)
Cornell (full ride + teaching stipend)
MICA (25-50% tuition for some)
Bard (heard of there being up to 50% funding)
Montclair State (heard of excellent funding here)

PORTFOLIO RULES

Can anyone direct me to a comprehensive description of portfolio rules for paintings and drawings? I do not know if I have to take my framed images out of the frame because the edges won't show in the frame, for example. I am also not sure whether I need to have my husband, who is a photographer, take images with a light table, or if they should just hang on the wall in good light. Some are big paintings and will not fit on a light table anyway. I would like to see a comprehensive description of the rules so I can send 1 portfolio to all schools, if this is possible.

INTERNATIONAL MFA STUDIO ART PAINTING PROGRAMS

Does anyone know where I can get a list? Anyone here know anything about SACI in Florence, Italy?

Hey Everyone!

Im coming out of undergrad at MICA and applying to a few Photography and Performance programs. Here is the list:

SAIC

RCA

Goldsmiths

Kuva

I recently attended SAIC Day and am happy to say it was an amazing experience!

If you'd like to see my work and give feedback it would be much appreciated. view it here.

Goodluck everyone :)

An interesting post made by another user in 2012, thought I post it here.

West

UCSD (full ride + teaching stipend)

UC Irvine (I believe there is good funding here, but unsure of details)

UCLA (both DMA and the regular arts program give up to 100+% funding with teaching)

USC (many admits get full tuition funding)

- UCSB (full finding + excellent stipend and teaching)

Stanford (full ride + excellent stipend and teaching)

UC Berkeley (full ride tuition for instate peeps, out of staters pay difference)

Mills (not always, but I have heard of 50+% funding here)

UC Davis (50-70% funding)

- UOregon (full ride + teaching stipend)

UW (full ride)

ASU (Arizona State) (full ride) + (50% tuition + Merit Scholarsihps: for International Students)

Midwest

UIowa (I believe there is full funding avail here)

Indiana (full ride, I believe)

UChicago (75% tuition funding + teaching stipend) - KEEP an eye on this program. They are dumping a TON of money into the arts here (esp. with their fabulous Logan Arts Center. A "hidden gem" of a program)

UI-C (I have heard of good funding here)

Northwestern (full ride + excellent stipend and teaching)

SAIC (I hear of one full ride and one half ride per department)

SIUC (Southern Illinois) (full ride + stipend)

UMichigan (full ride, first year travel funding, free computer, + stipend)

Ohio (both state and university) (full rides + stipend to both universities)

(I'm sure there are others in the M-W…)

South

UGA (Georgia) (excellent funding)

LSU (Louisiana) (excellent funding)

UF (Florida) (full funding)

UTex-Austin (50% or more funding, I have heard of)

Georgia Tech (MS in Digital Media is a full ride)

East

Alfred (full ride + stipend)

RPI / iEAR (half the admits get full finding)

Carnegie-Mellon (70+% funding)

RISD (Pres. Scholarships range 40K, 20K and 10K, but most pay)

Rutgers (heard of full funding)

- SUNY Buffalo (heard of good-to-full funding here)

Tyler/Temple (sometimes they do offer full funding + stipend to some first year MFAs, but 2nd yr seems to get best funding)

SFMA (has been known to dish out some decent money, but not all the time)

Yale (if you are low income, along with your parents (regardless of your age, they ask for your parent's financials), you can qualify for excellent funding. If not, you will pay)

MIT / ACT (I have heard of around 50% funding)

Univ of Maryland (full ride + teaching stipend)

VCU (70+% funding)

Cornell (full ride + teaching stipend)

MICA (25-50% tuition for some)

Bard (heard of there being up to 50% funding)

Montclair State (heard of excellent funding here)

Good to repost that to make it easier to find!

The complete thread about programs with excellent funding is below.

There are quite a few more programs that aren't in your post.

Also, consider applying to programs that aren't in the top 10 and so highly competitive....you might be pleasantly surprised to receive funding and you won't have a huge debt at the end.

In the end you make your own success.

If you have any to add please add it to that 2012 thread as well. The info is still valid.

Edited by helpful_little_elf

Hi everyone. 

Im applying to Painting programs. Although, my work has a lot to do with digital tools .... in fact I've got works that are digital prints...

Would you include those in the portfolio for paintings programs...

Perhaps to SAIC, Columbia, Calarts and RCA....

What about to Yale, UCLA and Bard?

Not sure about Yale, RCA and UCLA (though I'd guess yes for these programs), but certainly yes to all the others. SAIC is very interdisciplinary, as are Columbia and CalArts, and Bard specifies that your portfolio should show your best work in any medium regardless of the discipline you are applying to. 

Hey Everyone!

Im coming out of undergrad at MICA and applying to a few Photography and Performance programs. Here is the list:

SAIC

RCA

Goldsmiths

Kuva

I recently attended SAIC Day and am happy to say it was an amazing experience!

If you'd like to see my work and give feedback it would be much appreciated. view it here.

Goodluck everyone :)

Vote of confidence from me! Looks great, best of luck!

Good to repost that to make it easier to find!

The complete thread about programs with excellent funding is below.

There are quite a few more programs that aren't in your post.

Also, consider applying to programs that aren't in the top 10 and so highly competitive....you might be pleasantly surprised to receive funding and you won't have a huge debt at the end.

In the end you make your own success.

If you have any to add please add it to that 2012 thread as well. The info is still valid.

The majority of  schools on my list have good funding, I commonly see post like yours, assuming that attending a top MFA programs means huge debt. Which not always the case.

Cornell has terrific funding, I have made it my mission to find if they did or not,  and the majority of the admitted applicants received tuition waivers and a TA position/stipend.  Cornell funding has been pretty well documented throughout the Freak-out Forums.

PennDesign I had the chance to meet and talk to a faculty member during National Portfolio Day, and she mention that they have great funding, especially for minority students. Plus, PennDesign has an international MFA Show every year, I think the next one is in Korea...

Yale,  is only 'need base',  and I have no doubt that I want have to drop a dime there considering my financial situation. DOVA pays 75% of your tuition and that's only merit base, no clue what they may offer for 'need base'-- that might finish off the rest.

SAIC is the only school that  I'm currently scratching my head about, their funding is horrible, I think they offer only 1 full scholarship per programs, besides that the highest I seen is 12K. They'er also last on my list, but I keep them there because during Portfolio Day, the chair mention that they are increasing merit based aid.

Not in a rush to attend a MFA program, so them being competitive does not bother me. Whatever I end up I want it to be a Tier 1 school, finishing strong at an excellent program is what I'm looking to do. I'm young so I'll continue to reapply into I get in a MFA program, that I feel will further my work and my career--even if it's just an head start....

PORTFOLIO RULES

Can anyone direct me to a comprehensive description of portfolio rules for paintings and drawings? I do not know if I have to take my framed images out of the frame because the edges won't show in the frame, for example. I am also not sure whether I need to have my husband, who is a photographer, take images with a light table, or if they should just hang on the wall in good light. Some are big paintings and will not fit on a light table anyway. I would like to see a comprehensive description of the rules so I can send 1 portfolio to all schools, if this is possible.

INTERNATIONAL MFA STUDIO ART PAINTING PROGRAMS

Does anyone know where I can get a list? Anyone here know anything about SACI in Florence, Italy?

The book art/work is a great resource. Also, look at some recent graduates from the program...check out their websites and see the types of documentation they have. ArtForum Magazine may also be a good source. I'm not a painter myself, but I'd think you'd need to hang the paintings on the wall. In seeing documentation of paintings, I like to see the presence they have in a room, especially if they're huge. Look on Hyperallergic for reference too. Good luck...are you applying for Fall 2015?

Oh thank you to "pictureisstill". I have saved all those links! I already had art forum on my twitter feed but now I am connected to the others as well. I suppose my most burning question was about whether I would need to remove my framed pieces from the frames to expose the raw edges. Makes no sense to me, but I understand they want to see the edges?! It will involve ripping off the finished backing and taking them apart from the frames, a real mess. Maybe I'll make some better pieces and leave out the framed ones when I apply.

My app round won't be until late 2015 for the 2016 year. Since it involves relocating, ascertaining affordability, and all of that, I am trying to make some plans now. I am also seeking a list of international mfa programs. Some of these, I understand, are highly affordable. Some not. Take a look at SACI in Florence. Drool, drool... But SO costly!

I would love to see your portfolio if you want to share the link. I see on your profile that all one has to do is ask. So here's asking! HAPPY NEW YEAR!

Can anyone clarify the "100%+ funding and TAship" at UCLA? Does this funding include a tuition waver plus supplemental waiver for out of staters? I've seen people post on other forums about getting around 15k but it was unclear if that was just towards tuition? Hope this isn't a stupid redundant question! Thanks!!

One of my professors is having an issue uploading their letter of recommendation to the Yale and Columbia applications.  Any suggestions?  Should I just add a new reference?

Can anyone clarify the "100%+ funding and TAship" at UCLA? Does this funding include a tuition waver plus supplemental waiver for out of staters? I've seen people post on other forums about getting around 15k but it was unclear if that was just towards tuition? Hope this isn't a stupid redundant question! Thanks!!

I was under the impression that for out of staters, it includes full tuition +

Hello!

I'm super glad I came across this forum. Now that I'm submitting my apps, I'm pretty sure my current state of mind is "freaking out."

Anyway, I'm a 5th year student, I just finished a BA in English and I'm finishing up my BFA in Studio Arts (Photography) this semester. I've been working my butt off since I decided to apply for a graduate program three years ago. If becoming a practicing fine art photographer doesn't work out, I would love to teach at a collegiate level.

I would /really/ like to get into a school in NYC, but we'll see. I live in Michigan, and I'm honestly exhausted with the lack of opportunities here. :P

I was under the impression that for out of staters, it includes full tuition +

You guys are all right, and no you are not being redundant. UCLA awards a full tuition waiver and more than generous stipend. I recently saw a post in that an admitted applicant was given a non-resident compensation of 18K, just as a stipend to cover living expenses with addiction to a tuition waiver. It's seems a decent amount of people where accepted to UCLA during 2013 freak-out forum. I recommend that you guys go and follow their post, I know I am.

Actually debating if I should consider applying to UCLA, they have a top MFA program and provided more than generous finically aid for there students. Doing so more research to see if they might be a good fit me, herd they are rather picky...

You guys are all right, and no you are not being redundant. UCLA awards a full tuition waiver and more than generous stipend. I recently saw a post in that an admitted applicant was given a non-resident compensation of 18K, just as a stipend to cover living expenses with addiction to a tuition waiver. It's seems a decent amount of people where accepted to UCLA during 2013 freak-out forum. I recommend that you guys go and follow their post, I know I am.

Actually debating if I should consider applying to UCLA, they have a top MFA program and provided more than generous finically aid for there students. Doing so more research to see if they might be a good fit me, herd they are rather picky...

This site gives some idea of acceptance rates. It is not always entirely accurate. A few years ago I read somewhere that UCLA had over 700 applicants for only 20 spots. The number of applicants can vary from year to year.  The top programs in NYC and LA do get many applicants.

http://www.petersons.com/graduate-schools/university-of-california-los-angeles-school-of-the-arts-and-architecture-department-of-art-000_10036881.aspx

Edited by helpful_little_elf

ahh im freaking out too. 

My schools are 

University of Pennsylvania 

University of Wisconsin Madison

University of Georgia

Virginina Commonwealth University

University of Tennessee Knoxville

University of Washington

University of North Carolina Chapel Hill 

University of Iowa

University of New Mexico

University of South Dakota

One of my professors is having an issue uploading their letter of recommendation to the Yale and Columbia applications.  Any suggestions?  Should I just add a new reference?

My recommenders had that issue as well with those schools. They ended up having to email their letters to the program heads so that they could be included in my application.