MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Anyone know what to expect in an interview? I mean I know the gist but anything I should prepare for that might be unexpected?

Someone posted this previously. Hope it helps and best of luck to everyone on their interviews! Here is a link to the thread and I pasted some of the questions below.

How does your work fit in with the contemporary art world/scene?

Why do you want to go to XXXXX?

Why do you want to go to grad school? Why now?

What resources of this program will be the biggest benefit to your development as an artist?

What is your work about?

What are your influences?

What for you constitutes a good work of art?

What draws you to a piece of work?

What motivates your work?

Who are your main influences?

Where do you see yourself in 10 years?

How does your work fit in with the contemporary art world/scene?

What do you think is a good critique of your work/bad critique?

Why/how did you choose the people who wrote letters for you?

How will you contribute to this program?

What do you do for fun?

What artists do you like? (you can have a list prepared)

What artists who are no longer living influence you?

What book are you reading right now? What do you think about it?

What are you working on right now?

Please explain this work (xxxx03.jpg)

What is your favorite piece of art? Why? (Title, artist,year)

Can you describe yourself, such as personal habit, etc.

Do you get along well with others ?

What would you bring to a group dynamic ?

What can you offer this program? Any special skills?

What do you think is a good way of criting ? a bad way?

What other aspects of culture influence your work besidesart/art history?

How do you see yourself taking advantage of this school’s enviroment/program?

What exhibition have you been to in the last year?

What have you done since you’ve graduated?

What contemporary artists are you into, and why?

Tell us about the conceptual underpinnings of your work?

Talk about your process.

What do you think about *this essay*? (related to your work)

How is your work related to *this movement*?

Do you have any questions for us?

What do you think about (artist, movement, subject/topic)

What can't you stand? Why?

What do you think about your own work?

How do you want your work to develop?

Why are you making the work you're making, and why do you want to keep doing it?

Meaning behind your subject matter?

influences

why grad school, why now?

Hi all, been reading for a while... first time posting and first time applying. This message board had been so helpful, thanks and good luck to all.

Phone interview with Oregon sculpture tomorrow. Notified via email.

I had mine with UO last week, good luck!

Just got accepted to University of Madison Wisconsin for painting / drawing via email 1- 26- 15 !!! 

I want to cry I was so paranoid I would not get in anywhere 

Congrats!!! Great great faculty there! 

Do folks know how interviews work at UO? I know we specified certain departments on the application (I think I put printmedias and digital arts), but do all departments do interviews? In otherwords, should I assume rejection if I've heard nothing from them as it seems sculpture at least has already interviewed it's applicants? 

Do folks know how interviews work at UO? I know we specified certain departments on the application (I think I put printmedias and digital arts), but do all departments do interviews? In otherwords, should I assume rejection if I've heard nothing from them as it seems sculpture at least has already interviewed it's applicants? 

I would not assume any rejection whatsoever until you get notice from the school. My assumption (which could be wrong) is that they do interviews by whatever area you indicated (since we had to) on your application. They interview through Mid February, so definitely don't rule them out. This is probably just the first round for some departments.

Is anyone having trouble with the SVA application?  My checklist is showing some documents that I've submitted as missing, but I'm having a hard time getting through to anyone about it.  It seems as though they only communicate by email (no phone calls), but are not very responsive by email.

I'd love to hear if anyone has any insight.  Thanks!

Tyler school of art just sent me an email saying I'm a finalist for their painting program and gave me an interview date. I have to fly out and be there. Anyone have to fly out for an interview ?

Tyler school of art just sent me an email saying I'm a finalist for their painting program and gave me an interview date. I have to fly out and be there. Anyone have to fly out for an interview ?

I flew to SAIC a couple of years ago to interview in person because they "Strongly urged" it. I did get accepted. 

Its a good idea to fly out there if you are unfamiliar with the school/city, can afford it, and are serious about the program, but I don't think its necessary and I don't think it hurts your chances of being accepted if you have a good interview.

Frankly, I think its a little rude for schools to expect everyone to fly out for an in person interview.

Edited by Coreythegiraffe

Though I am still waiting for notifications on whether I will be asked to interview, I have been debating whether or not I will travel for the interview or use Skype. I sometimes wonder if the interview process can be a an issue of entitlement. There seems to be this idea that "if you want it you will find a way" but the expenses involved in the application process can be exorbitant for some.

If the schools lean towards those that can come in person, it seems it's another way that privilege can trump the work. (I remember in undergrad that people that could afford weren't nearly as talented as those on scholarship. Yet, a student on scholarship technically flunks out if they dipped below a B average, because they lose the scholarship and the ability to pay for school.

I really am thinking that considering one's financial position should be deemed prudent rather than frowned upon. Should you get in you still have to pay a tuition deposit out of pocket. And then comes debt. OK this is now a rant lol

It is ridiculous that they might demand an in-person interview. If you have your heart set on the university, I would do everything possible to make an in-person happen. That's the downside of applying to many school...flat broke afterwards, haha. I ate mac and cheese wayyy too many times in the first two weeks of this month.

You stated "If the schools lean towards those that can come in person, it seems it's another way that privilege can trump the work", but the work has already been evaluated by the time they request an interview. Money doesn't trump work in these situations...they look at the portfolios first with no supporting materials at hand. If you make it past that point, then they delve into written components and LOR. FAFSA stuff is probably last. I think they get the gist of who they'll offer money to from the portfolio. Strongest work=most money. Interviews are to see if you can articulate your ideas, how sociable you are, give you an opportunity to ask questions and to make sure you're not a total psychopath.

If the school is super sold on you, they'll pay for you to come visit after you're accepted.

Just some thoughts!

Though I am still waiting for notifications on whether I will be asked to interview, I have been debating whether or not I will travel for the interview or use Skype. I sometimes wonder if the interview process can be a an issue of entitlement. There seems to be this idea that "if you want it you will find a way" but the expenses involved in the application process can be exorbitant for some.

If the schools lean towards those that can come in person, it seems it's another way that privilege can trump the work. (I remember in undergrad that people that could afford weren't nearly as talented as those on scholarship. Yet, a student on scholarship technically flunks out if they dipped below a B average, because they lose the scholarship and the ability to pay for school.

I really am thinking that considering one's financial position should be deemed prudent rather than frowned upon. Should you get in you still have to pay a tuition deposit out of pocket. And then comes debt. OK this is now a rant lol

I agree with you about the importance of interviews thepicureisstill, but demanding your you interview in person or demanding that you ship your entire portfolio could cause someone to lose out because of their lack of money.

I wanted to point out how really small things can hold back large portions of society. The first time I applied for schools, I used a gofundme account, I was lucky enough to have people donate their frequent flier miles, and purchase art work solely to get me to interviews. It's just the small things that can really be hard without $

I went to the Yale open house and had the impression that they use their available funding to level the playing field, as much as possible.  They essentially give whatever they can to the incoming students, based on need.  I'm assuming this is of course outside of the initial merit scholarships, etc.

I also spoke with a Yale alum who received the full ride scholarship (this is many years ago) for her department, and she was unable to make the in-person interview.  So I'm guessing it's not held against you in any significant way if you have to opt for skype.

Also T. Eliott, one hundred percent agree w you re accessibility of these programs and processes.  It's a mess of a system.  I think we have to just try to work around it in whatever ways we can.

Heyward, Tyler does have good funding from what I've read -  "The graduate teaching and technical assistantships cover full tuition and provide an annual stipend for students, and are renewable each year, so while tuition is not cheap on its own, it can be for some."

from:  http://www.blouinartinfo.com/news/story/807370/back-to-school-guide-the-10-mfa-programs-that-give-you-the

Edited by technotronic