MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Yeah, that columbia financial needs thing was insane. It confused me so I asked my parents about it (my parents were financial officers for the government) and this is was their advice on how to fill it out for those if us who are either 1. dependent or 2. independent, but still receive some help from their parents:

If you really spent 0 of your own money, then you should put zero. My parents helped me somewhat still so I put zeroes in for the things they paid for. Then, I made estimates of the average I spent for each of the different criteria.

I could be wrong though... Any other thoughts? I think the part where it makes you list expenses was per month correct? Also, you should fill out your fafsa and send it to them if you didn't do that.

For people who applied to Columbia and filled out the aid form: on the expenses section, it asks what me and my (non existent) spouse spent money on. I'm entirely dependent on parents, so would I enter "0" in all of the fields, or find out how much they spent on these things on my behalf?

I just really don't want to screw this form up and not get admitted or something. The paranoia is SO real.

Yeah, that columbia financial needs thing was insane. It confused me so I asked my parents about it (my parents were financial officers for the government) and this is was their advice on how to fill it out for those if us who are either 1. dependent or 2. independent, but still receive some help from their parents:

If you really spent 0 of your own money, then you should put zero. My parents helped me somewhat still so I put zeroes in for the things they paid for. Then, I made estimates of the average I spent for each of the different criteria.

I could be wrong though... Any other thoughts? I think the part where it makes you list expenses was per month correct? Also, you should fill out your fafsa and send it to them if you didn't do that.

That's really helpful, thank you.

Yeah, they're asking for expenses for 2014. I wish it were monthly, it would be a little easier.

FAFSA was turned in January 3rd. I'm a pro at that by now. ;)

Hello!  Long time lurker, first time poster.  Have a ? for you all...

Anyone here heard anything from MICA-Hoffberger?  I received an e-mail on 2/9 telling me that I was an interview finalist (!!!) and linking me to the google form to choose how and when my interview would be conducted.  The e-mail stated that they would confirm my interview time as soon as possible, but I haven't heard back from them yet and it's now 2/11.  I'm slightly freaking out because the in-person interview date I chose was this Saturday, 2/14, and I'd really like to have confirmation on that for planning purposes (it's about a 3.5 hr drive for me to Baltimore).  

Has anyone else here gotten a confirmation e-mail on their interview time?  Should I e-mail them and ask what's up (not in those words).  I'm starting to psych myself out thinking, "What if they meant to send me the rejection e-mail and they accidentally sent me the interview e-mail."  Does that happen ever?  

Last year my partner interviewed for Carnegie Mellon. So yes, the do conduct interviews. I think they interview about 20-15 people.

Oh, great, thanks!! Also, do you happen to know if it's a phone interview, and if they notify you that you've been selected as a finalist before they conduct the interview?

Oh, great, thanks!! Also, do you happen to know if it's a phone interview, and if they notify you that you've been selected as a finalist before they conduct the interview?

I think it was a Skype interview, and yes, they notify you that you've been selected as a finalist before they conduct the interview. 

Also if it helps, being CM, they ask some pretty standard but tough questions about your conceptual underpinnings, place in art history, etc.

PAFA FOLKS! MY LETTER AND EVERYTHING WAS SENT OUT TODAY! Fingers crossed because the candidate reply form and new student information form is still there! I don't think they'd place those things on my check list if I didn't get in right?

I think it was a Skype interview, and yes, they notify you that you've been selected as a finalist before they conduct the interview. 

Also if it helps, being CM, they ask some pretty standard but tough questions about your conceptual underpinnings, place in art history, etc.

Thank you so much!! 

Edited by Pulsar

Hey Lurkers...you should create an account and join this forum. You won't receive any spam. You can remain anonymous and do custom searches. There is a ton of great info hidden deep in here. You can also private message PM people. Share some info.

Definitely been a lurker for a couple of weeks now, so taking this opportunity to add to the topic. At the moment, I have interviews scheduled at DOVA, University of Chicago and UC Irvine. Still waiting to hear from UT Austin (though it sounds like they've already sent out interview requests), UConn, UCLA, and USC. 

Anyone apply to Stanford's Art Practice program? Hear from them yet?

Eaaaagerly* waiting on Stanford, UCLA, MICA, RISD, and Tulane.

Interviews with UPenn, CCA, and CalArts.

* like refreshing this site too many times a day to really admit to myself

PAFA FOLKS! MY LETTER AND EVERYTHING WAS SENT OUT TODAY! Fingers crossed because the candidate reply form and new student information form is still there! I don't think they'd place those things on my check list if I didn't get in right?

Good Luck! Mine only says the decision letter was sent today, other forms still listed as pending.. Also hoping they wouldn't be there if they weren't going to be sent... At the top of my form is also says status: accept (as of 2/5)?.. hoping for the best. 

Edited by bwh15

Anyone apply to Stanford's Art Practice program? Hear from them yet?

Eaaaagerly* waiting on Stanford, UCLA, MICA, RISD, and Tulane.

Interviews with UPenn, CCA, and CalArts.

* like refreshing this site too many times a day to really admit to myself

I applied to Stanford as well. And, no, I haven't heard anything..

I know there aren't very many decisions posted, but looking at the results search I can't help but to worry a little :s 

Edited by Pulsar

I applied to Stanford as well. And, no, I haven't heard anything..

I know there aren't very many decisions posted, but looking at the results search I can't help but to worry a little :s 

I emailed the department a few days ago about it and they let me know this:

"Applicants will be notified by mail of their status by March 15th. If chosen as a finalist, you will be required to travel to Stanford for an interview."

Does your application checklist say complete or incomplete?