MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Kent State was on my original list, I checked the site and it said the deadline was Feb. 2nd, but if things don't go so well this round I'll be sure to apply to them for the next round!  Thank you for showing my prints to your class, that makes me feel pretty awesome.  I haven't heard anything from NIU (just checked my email) so here is to hoping that's a good sign!  Michael Barnes is an awesome guy, and his personal litho press kicks apple! When I got rejected a couple years ago, I was checking the portal and saw the rejection.

I also creeped on you as well, so no worries. Also, when I visited Illinois State, they told me they only accepted people that they have money to fund, which rumor has it, is two for the upcoming Fall. They were also waiting for a greenlight to start a new building complex for the visual arts and getting upgrade their printmaking facilities. I don't know what the status of that is, at the current moment. I don't know much about Ohio University, on funding or how many they are taking in. I think IUB is taking in 4 printmakers for the upcoming Fall at least that's speculation that my friend (IUB Ceramics Dept.) told me earlier today. 

Yeah! I hope your lack of word from NIU = acceptance.  Kurt Schultz emailed me, so I don't know if he is in charge of all communication or just the sad communication.  

Last year Kent State extended their printmaking deadline, if you want I can check for you if they'll be doing the same.  I heard the same about Illinois State at MAPC! So that's probably promising, but I think they have a pretty good reputation and probably get a lot of applicants.  They're one of my top choices, with IUB being the top.  Arkansas offered me a fellowship, which is pretty awesome. Sean P. Morrisey is their head and he's pretty awesome, I'd be happy to go there but most likely I'll be attending IUB.  Probably the only thing that would change that is if I get accepted to Tulane or Illinois State (both of which basically auto fully fund) and don't get any funding from IUB.  I also am pretty clueless to Ohio University, I don't have super high hopes for there because Art Werger, amazing as he is is their head and he's a pretty traditional printmaker (which I am not), however most of the others in the department are actually rather nontraditional? So it will depend a lot on how much say everyone has probably. 

My pleasure, @Leahdog and @Milkyways! 

Milkyways, yeah... that April 15 deadline seems a little more fluid than the article affirms. I feel there have been some posts about schools asking for earlier decisions. I'm with you on having to make the call on being more rural or having less immediate access to LA/NYC etc., for at least a couple years. But we can remember that so many of the professors and artists from the bigger cities will be visiting artists at the outlying schools (a.k.a. work those connections!). And from what I hear, being away from the condensed city could also afford larger studio space. 

Edited by Marchy

Yeah! I hope your lack of word from NIU = acceptance.  Kurt Schultz emailed me, so I don't know if he is in charge of all communication or just the sad communication.  

Last year Kent State extended their printmaking deadline, if you want I can check for you if they'll be doing the same.  I heard the same about Illinois State at MAPC! So that's probably promising, but I think they have a pretty good reputation and probably get a lot of applicants.  They're one of my top choices, with IUB being the top.  Arkansas offered me a fellowship, which is pretty awesome. Sean P. Morrisey is their head and he's pretty awesome, I'd be happy to go there but most likely I'll be attending IUB.  Probably the only thing that would change that is if I get accepted to Tulane or Illinois State (both of which basically auto fully fund) and don't get any funding from IUB.  I also am pretty clueless to Ohio University, I don't have super high hopes for there because Art Werger, amazing as he is is their head and he's a pretty traditional printmaker (which I am not), however most of the others in the department are actually rather nontraditional? So it will depend a lot on how much say everyone has probably. 

If it isn't a problem, that would be great, thanks!  They have a grad student directory and some of their printmakers are on there with photos of their work. I honestly didn't think I would get an interview with IUB. NIU and IUB are tied for the top picks. Next is Illinois State and Miami University. Ohio University is pretty well ranked, I like the professors work and of current grad students but I doubt I'll get accepted. I feel like I didn't do enough research. University Kentucky's Jonnathan McFadden is new to the department, but his work and installation pieces are awesome. I love Kentucky but I want to venture out of the state so it's last on my list. 

Edited by Cecily.Brooke

I didn't contact admissions, I'm assuming that if someone had a painting interview than they contacted everyone who applied to painting. Sorry should have qualified that.

Derpderpderp, no worries. Did someone say they had a painting interview with VCU on this forum? Did I miss that entry? 

Edited by Thisismyusername7

Derpderpderp, where did you get this information? Did you contact their admissions staff?

Arose2 did you also hear something for the admin?

Haven't heard anything...just checking with everyone. I applied to six school and only heard from one so far!!!

Check out this article of advice….  "The Grad School Letter Arrives ... Now What?"   

Thanks for posting this article.

It addresses many of the issues I now have to face, and clarifies some of the etiquette I was a bit fuzzy on..

Congratulations to everyone getting accepted...and everyone actually.

This process takes a certain commitment. To even initiate and follow through with it, is an achievement in itself.

Edited by papers

Had Skype interviews with VCU and Austin last weekend both for painting... I think they went ok but VCU asks tough questions

Interviews with Tyler and SFAI this weekend and feeling way more prepared now that I had the other two previous interviews, I feel now like I know what to expect. 

Anyone heard from Berkeley, Columbia, Hunter, or UCLA? 

Thanks Cecily.Brooke. Darn. 

Edited by Thisismyusername7

If it isn't a problem, that would be great, thanks!  They have a grad student directory and some of their printmakers are on there with photos of their work. I honestly didn't think I would get an interview with IUB. NIU and IUB are tied for the top picks. Next is Illinois State and Miami University. Ohio University is pretty well ranked, I like the professors work and of current grad students but I doubt I'll get accepted. I feel like I didn't do enough research. University Kentucky's Jonnathan McFadden is new to the department, but his work and installation pieces are awesome. I love Kentucky but I want to venture out of the state so it's last on my list. 

I'll ask our department head when I see him next.  I'm not sure how updated the website here is but you'd be working with Michael Loderstedt and Taryn McMahon. I don't think he has a huge web presence but Nick Skowron also teaches at KSU as an adjunct and is amazing. Both Taryn and Michael rock and are hugely supportive and like I said there is a full assistantship and stipend available among a number of other awards that are available every spring.  

I am really excited about almost everywhere I applied, there's not really a huge "top/bottom" distinction for me. IUB is a more definitive top because I met all of their print faculty at MAPC and they proved to be super amazing, whereas I didn't have that experience with almost any of my other schools. Sean P. Morrisey visited Kent and knows both of the professors I mentioned so I've heard good things about him and some of the OU faculty talked at MAPC and left a good impression but I didn't really meet them.  I hear the area where their studios are is super beautiful, though apparently Athens, OH itself doesn't have much to offer, from what I've heard.  They're reknowned around here for parties and apparently they have a lot of weird festivals or something? OU has a good, highly ranked program with good facilities and a lot of offerings in other areas that I find really exciting, but like you mentioned with Kentucky I kind of want to be out of Ohio. 

I'll ask our department head when I see him next.  I'm not sure how updated the website here is but you'd be working with Michael Loderstedt and Taryn McMahon. I don't think he has a huge web presence but Nick Skowron also teaches at KSU as an adjunct and is amazing. Both Taryn and Michael rock and are hugely supportive and like I said there is a full assistantship and stipend available among a number of other awards that are available every spring.  

I am really excited about almost everywhere I applied, there's not really a huge "top/bottom" distinction for me. IUB is a more definitive top because I met all of their print faculty at MAPC and they proved to be super amazing, whereas I didn't have that experience with almost any of my other schools. Sean P. Morrisey visited Kent and knows both of the professors I mentioned so I've heard good things about him and some of the OU faculty talked at MAPC and left a good impression but I didn't really meet them.  I hear the area where their studios are is super beautiful, though apparently Athens, OH itself doesn't have much to offer, from what I've heard.  They're reknowned around here for parties and apparently they have a lot of weird festivals or something? OU has a good, highly ranked program with good facilities and a lot of offerings in other areas that I find really exciting, but like you mentioned with Kentucky I kind of want to be out of Ohio. 

I have a few professor that went to Ohio University, they had interesting things to say and the faculty they knew but that was about 20ish years ago. I have a friend their but for Appalachian Studies. I wish I could've gone to the past MAPC... I went to the one in Missouri and had a blast. 

tcolcord, good luck with the SFAI interview! 

I was just accepted into their low residency program :) The interview I had with them was surprisingly casual and warm; it's good you're not stressing about it. They asked the standard "why do you want to study here?", but that was the really the only thing they asked me. They just seemed excited to see me & were really in-tune with my work;  they already had ideas of who I should work with/avenues to explore/other artists I should look into, so most of the interview was just a conversation really. I also visited the grad studios  (a 25 minute drive from the main campus) and spoke with some current students. Really inspiring work happening there, lots of craziness. There are 200 grads in the building and from what I gather,  the full-time MFA program is geared around complete freedom and experimentation, paired with heavy reading (theory/etc) and critiques. Overall, seems like a great school & I'm hoping I can make it happen financially. But you know, these private art schools come with a big price tag.

I also applied to Berkeley and no response yet, so im guessing that means I didn't make the cut... Hella lame.

I also just got into SFAI for an MFA in painting. Anyone hear about merit scholarships yet, or are those separate from the acceptance letters? Also, was alerted via mail if anyone is waiting to hear from there. That seemed surprising to me.

I also just got into SFAI for an MFA in painting. Anyone hear about merit scholarships yet, or are those separate from the acceptance letters? Also, was alerted via mail if anyone is waiting to hear from there. That seemed surprising to me.

Also, my interview was very similar to yours, Vinny51

got the call(s) from Rutgers today. My latest deadline and earliest acceptance.. the world works in strange ways.

and nope, I'm not a painter, sorry, for those that are no doubt wondering.

Edited by bannedinbc

Just FYI to those who asked and sorry if this a heart-breaker: interviewed via Skype for UCLA New Genres on Sunday Feb 15, was told they are down to the 12 semi-finalists

Have not heard/waiting to hear from:

USC

UC Irvine

UMN Minneapolis

UW Milwaukee 

q. Does UCI historically hold interviews for all being considered? They did not mention interviews at the info session or on the website but I notice a few were contacted weeks ago so perhaps I was ill-informed / am too wishful they only interview some but not all. 

q. Anyone else applying to these last two midwest schools? :) Haven't seen them pop up in the thread yet!

Best of luck to all my fellow artists! 

Just FYI to those who asked and sorry if this a heart-breaker: interviewed via Skype for UCLA New Genres on Sunday Feb 15, was told they are down to the 12 semi-finalists

USC

UC Irvine

UMN Minneapolis

UW Milwaukee

q. Does UCI historically hold interviews for all being considered? They did not mention interviews at the info session or on the website but I notice a few were contacted weeks ago so perhaps I was ill-informed / am too wishful they only interview some but not all.

q. Anyone else applying to these last two midwest schools? :) Haven't seen them pop up in the thread yet!

Thanks for the update about UCLA Yawn@dawn. And congrats! At least I can cross them off the list...

Kwonberry are you at UCLA?

Kwonberry, congratulations!!

How long after the interview did they tell you you were in?

Thanks!

yeah you got in a while back right?

I remember liking your cake pieces when I started to look up current UCLA students.  Unless Im completely mistaken.

1. Yes

2. official notices go out some time march. if you haven't been called/emailed regarding finalist status around now... 

3. Yeah I'm working on my thesis show.

Edited by kwonberry

USC

UC Irvine

UMN Minneapolis

UW Milwaukee 

Yes, UCI is conducting interviews right now this week. They also interview in person and it's an all day thing. 

1. Yes

2. official notices go out some time march. if you haven't been called/emailed regarding finalist status around now... 

3. Yeah I'm working on my thesis show.

Hi David, 

With all do respect, could I ask why you are on this forum (and was last year) when you were accepted to UCLA a while ago.

Are you working in admissions at UCLA, or just like to help and give guidance to applicants?

Edited by Coreythegiraffe

Hi David, 

With all do respect, could I ask why you are on this forum (and was last year) when you were accepted to UCLA a while ago.

Are you working in admissions at UCLA? 

I think it's SO nice when people who have been admitted in the past come on here to share insight with current applicants.  Once you go through the stress of getting caught up in this process, it's uber generous to remember and revisit this site to offer your two cents when you can.

One of my recommenders is a graduate of one of my top programs, and he's been so extraordinarily helpful to me throughout the process.  Part of this is that he's a generous person, but also I see more and more that this is because he knows how hard and stressful and anxiety inducing all of this is, and knows how much it means to have any support/insight possible.

Received an email from UGA today. I was put on the waitlist for the Sculpture program but there is no mention of my place on the list.

UTK gave me this information when they made their decision. I have now received word from all my applications.

It is now a matter of sorting out this waiting list situation and making my decision. Is it worth holding on and seeing if someone takes

another offer at a different school, or should I just decide between the offers I have on the table at the moment?

just finished an skype interview with MICA. if anyone else has one and wants to know anything. They said id hear from them by march 15th. I had an interview with PNCA on the twelfth and they said with in two weeks if anyone wanted to know.

I have a few professor that went to Ohio University, they had interesting things to say and the faculty they knew but that was about 20ish years ago. I have a friend their but for Appalachian Studies. I wish I could've gone to the past MAPC... I went to the one in Missouri and had a blast. 

Asked today and Kent State's deadline is just a recommended deadline and they will continue to look at applications/offer assistantships until the spots are filled. They do not plan to fill the spots from the current pool of applicants.  I'd encourage you to apply and I'll happily show you around or anything if you'd like to visit.  If I remember correctly the application fee is really low so it's definitely worth a shot. 

MAPC in the fall was a blast. Will you be attending SGCI?