MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Czarina, when you applied for the second year, did you reapply to any of the same places you got into the first time around? I'm wondering the etiquette for getting in to a school, turning down the offer this year and reapplying to same school next time. I'm just weighing out all my options! :)

Be prepared for the possibility of not being accepted when reapplying to a program you were previously accepted into, in cases where deferral isn't allowed.

Edited by LittleBlueHouse

yes...but we do not have the link yet....also the email they sent said the decision will be given after a week....and that we may check in applyurslf once the descision has been made.....

hi kingdom92

i just called hunter, and they said mine is pending. so i guess we just need to wait.....lol

HI Kingdom92

mine was on 13th march. hunter only accepts about 20-30 mfa students each yr i guess? and there are about 15 ppl on this forum who already got accepted.. so i assume they sent out the acceptance at the same time, and ppl who havent heard from them will get rejected.. but hopefully im wrong.. im nervous and curious too. maybe we can call hunter on monday and see whats going on :)

Does Hunter accept 20-30 people across all departments? That's a lot less then I thought.

Guys I got accepted as well to Hunter BUT!!!! It said that I am accepted for SPRING?? How does that happen?...

On interview day, they explained that there was no hierarchy for fall and spring acceptances but that they divided the groups up according to who they thought would work well with each other (artwork wise) in terms of the final show.

Does Hunter accept 20-30 people across all departments? That's a lot less then I thought.

I was not accepted nor interviewed however I asked Hunter about how the program was made up. They said they try to have balance across the different mediums/concentrations and they interviewed about 140 people this year. For fall they accept 20-24 people and for spring they accept 20-24 people, so on a yearly basis they accept about 40-48 people. 

Czarina, when you applied for the second year, did you reapply to any of the same places you got into the first time around? I'm wondering the etiquette for getting in to a school, turning down the offer this year and reapplying to same school next time. I'm just weighing out all my options! :)

Hey Marchy, you have some great options to choose from! I'm just curious why are you still thinking about reapplying? If that's something you could share...

Hooraypublic, I think it's just that I'm losing it a little, having to make this decision. And I really miss NY, or want to at least be in a lovely place. CMU education seems excellent, but fears of not liking Pittsburgh and living there for 3 years are arising. I will probably end up going anyway LOL. Money is an issue for me, and the other schools haven't offered anything to cheer about. I feel like if I'm going to pay a lot I'd want to come out mega-connected with a top ranked school on my resumé. What about you? You're in some great programs too. Are you thinking of attending CMU? 

On interview day, they explained that there was no hierarchy for fall and spring acceptances but that they divided the groups up according to who they thought would work well with each other (artwork wise) in terms of the final show.

Thank you for letting me know! I guess I was a little late, and hadn't heard anything about spring admissions. Do you have an idea about how many people get in? Someone said 48 in total with 24 for each semester?

Hooraypublic, I think it's just that I'm losing it a little, having to make this decision. And I really miss NY, or want to at least be in a lovely place. CMU education seems excellent, but fears of not liking Pittsburgh and living there for 3 years are arising. I will probably end up going anyway LOL. Money is an issue for me, and the other schools haven't offered anything to cheer about. I feel like if I'm going to pay a lot I'd want to come out mega-connected with a top ranked school on my resumé. What about you? You're in some great programs too. Are you thinking of attending CMU?

I live in Pittsburgh now!! It's the best! The art scene is really open (except in downtown pittsburgh). CMU is a really big deal in Pittsburgh, if you go there it kinda inspires awe in Pittsburgh and you'll be able to show everywhere. Maybe come visit!

Also, Cost of living here is cheap compared to other places.

CMU has a lot of opportunities to send their students abroad too over the summer if you don't like it. They really encourage you to do residencies and such over the summer.

Do you have any questions about Pittsburgh I could answer? (Don't mean to throw pittsburgh down your throat haha!)

Edited by Leahdog

Pittsburgh is a great town.  There's decidedly no art market there, but that doesn't mean there's nothing going on.  I know of more and more artists that are moving to Pittsburgh from NYC since it's pretty easy to get public funding for projects and rent is CHEAP.  The city is actively trying to attract artists.

Any other RISD sculpture people waiting to get an email about their financial aid information (to find out about awards and stuff) ?

It said in the email from Taylor Baldwin we were supposed to get an email from financial aid yesterday about it, but I haven't heard anything yet.... Anyone hear anything about that??

Hi all, very long time lurker here, finally decided to chime in.  I got accepted in MICA Rinehart and am highly considering going but I'm uneasy about Baltimore.  I've heard really good things and really bad things and I'm curious if anyone else is having this same issue or maybe could shed some light on the place.

Called UC San Diego yesterday, was told I have been "Nominated for Admission" from the department, but won't get a real email until after it passes through the Graduate Division.

But in any case, Yay! UCSD was awesome when I visited. If people are thinking about reapplying next year, think about UCSD. 

Called UC San Diego yesterday, was told I have been "Nominated for Admission" from the department, but won't get a real email until after it passes through the Graduate Division.

But in any case, Yay! UCSD was awesome when I visited. If people are thinking about reapplying next year, think about UCSD.

My favorite artist goes there. Check out Cathy Ellis

If this is for the painting program...I haven't heard anything from them....what could this mean?

Yeah it was for painting. I called again to see if they would tell me where I would be on the waitlist and the woman said they don't have a numbered waitlist. She said they probably won't know if I get accepted until April 20. 

Hi all, very long time lurker here, finally decided to chime in.  I got accepted in MICA Rinehart and am highly considering going but I'm uneasy about Baltimore.  I've heard really good things and really bad things and I'm curious if anyone else is having this same issue or maybe could shed some light on the place.

Unfortunately I don't have any insider info on Baltimore, but I am in the same boat as you!  I'm highly considering my offer from MICA- Hoffberger, but I am also uneasy about living in Baltimore.  I know cost of living is relatively low for a bigger city, which is awesome.  There is a thread in the "City Guide" section of grad cafe about Baltimore, but it seems most of the people on there are John's Hopkins people.  My understanding is that JHU is in the same vicinity as MICA, so most of that info is probably pertinent to us.  But I'd love to hear if any MICA peeps have opinions/tips about the city!

Decided on Tyler ! A madison and SFSU spot should open up and I'll be taken off the upenn, UNC and UGA waitlist

Congrats on the acceptance, Coreythegiraffe, and on making your decision, heyward2323!