MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Unfortunately I don't have any insider info on Baltimore, but I am in the same boat as you! I'm highly considering my offer from MICA- Hoffberger, but I am also uneasy about living in Baltimore. I know cost of living is relatively low for a bigger city, which is awesome. There is a thread in the "City Guide" section of grad cafe about Baltimore, but it seems most of the people on there are John's Hopkins people. My understanding is that JHU is in the same vicinity as MICA, so most of that info is probably pertinent to us. But I'd love to hear if any MICA peeps have opinions/tips about the city!

I went to MICA undergrad, and loved Baltimore. It is a beautiful city, I lived in a mansion at one point for nothing. It used to be MICA graduates would run off to NY, Chicago or Philly but a lot of artists are staying and running spaces and doing other active things there. It is so close to DC, Philly and NY that you have lots of exposure to that too.

You need to be a little cautious there and keep your head up, but as long as you're not reckless or oblivious you will be fine. Just respect your community, look people in the eye, etc.

By the time I left I loved Baltimore, and felt ambivilant about MICA. don't be scared by Baltimore.

If you're looking at places to live, go north or south of campus, East and West Baltimore are more hardcore. Mt Vernon, Charles Village, Hampden. The area Between Hopkins and MICA

Edited by kick87

Hi all, very long time lurker here, finally decided to chime in.  I got accepted in MICA Rinehart and am highly considering going but I'm uneasy about Baltimore.  I've heard really good things and really bad things and I'm curious if anyone else is having this same issue or maybe could shed some light on the place.

Hi!  

I also got into Rinehart! maybe we'll be co-years :) . I've never been to Baltimore but I heard it's got the advantages and disadvantages of a sort of suburb - it's affordable and you can live in a walking distance from the school, but it's not as exciting and eventful as New York.. I personally prefer it that way. Do you have other options?  

Hi guys! :)  Long time lurker here...for starters, i'll say that I've appreciated reading everyone's responses/opinions...very insightful!

Milkyways, how is your decision process going? I've been accepted to CMU and Northwestern as well....and i'm leaning towards CMU despite zero funding. I was just curious which program you were leaning towards? I keep hearing great things about CMU and that it's a "no brainer" and I should just choose to study there! I don't know what to think anymore.....freaking out here!!!

btw, congrats to everyone's acceptances !!!! 

Hi!  

I also got into Rinehart! maybe we'll be co-years :) . I've never been to Baltimore but I heard it's got the advantages and disadvantages of a sort of suburb - it's affordable and you can live in a walking distance from the school, but it's not as exciting and eventful as New York.. I personally prefer it that way. Do you have other options?  

Baltimore is not suburban!  Calarts is suburban.  Baltimore has great bars, cafes, restaurants, diners.  It's affordable and totally livable, and has a strong community, lots of good music there too. I recommend the city highly, it's great for artists.  

Unfortunately I don't have any insider info on Baltimore, but I am in the same boat as you!  I'm highly considering my offer from MICA- Hoffberger, but I am also uneasy about living in Baltimore.  I know cost of living is relatively low for a bigger city, which is awesome.  There is a thread in the "City Guide" section of grad cafe about Baltimore, but it seems most of the people on there are John's Hopkins people.  My understanding is that JHU is in the same vicinity as MICA, so most of that info is probably pertinent to us.  But I'd love to hear if any MICA peeps have opinions/tips about the city!

Pretty much what Kick said is right on the money. Myself and most of the people at MICA that I know have a strict "don't get distracted while you are walking around the city" policy. For example, don't look down at your phone like a zombie while you're walking around at night. Pretty much, as long as you don't look like a target you'll be fine.

I was a little shocked when I got here at first, my bike was stolen the first night I was here. I just hated the place. With that being said, it's definitely grown on me. It's rough around the edges, but once you find your "spots", it is easy to go out for drinks/food/etc. Also, the proximity to DC ($7 train ride), NYC and Philly makes a weekend of looking at art very feasible. If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me.

Hooraypublic, I think it's just that I'm losing it a little, having to make this decision. And I really miss NY, or want to at least be in a lovely place. CMU education seems excellent, but fears of not liking Pittsburgh and living there for 3 years are arising. I will probably end up going anyway LOL. Money is an issue for me, and the other schools haven't offered anything to cheer about. I feel like if I'm going to pay a lot I'd want to come out mega-connected with a top ranked school on my resumé. What about you? You're in some great programs too. Are you thinking of attending CMU? 

If you are excited about CMU, and it offers good funding, then personally I think it might be a better deal to go than to wait another year and go through all this again not knowing if you can get in. Depends on what medium(s) you work with, CMU could be a amazing program. But of course this is a personal choice and depends on how much you like the school. I've heard a lot of good things about Pittsburg as well, which is great, but I would weight the fit of the program much higher than location. I would rather going to a school in the woods if I feel really connected and excited about the faculty and current students rather than going to a school in an exciting city while feeling the opposite when you're in the crit room. Have you look at some students' and alums' websites?

For me I'm leaning towards UCLA right now, simply because I know it is a better fit for me after looking at the faculty and student work.

Looooooong time lurker here. Just had an interview with Goldsmiths (it went terribly,thanks for asking!). Did anyone else interview there?

Sorry to hear you think your interview went terribly, Pingu123. Perhaps your being hard on yourself?

Goldsmiths rejected me weeks ago. I interviewed with GSA and thought it went terribly, but received an offer. Where else did you apply? And, to what program?

Pretty much what Kick said is right on the money. Myself and most of the people at MICA that I know have a strict "don't get distracted while you are walking around the city" policy. For example, don't look down at your phone like a zombie while you're walking around at night. Pretty much, as long as you don't look like a target you'll be fine.

I was a little shocked when I got here at first, my bike was stolen the first night I was here. I just hated the place. With that being said, it's definitely grown on me. It's rough around the edges, but once you find your "spots", it is easy to go out for drinks/food/etc. Also, the proximity to DC ($7 train ride), NYC and Philly makes a weekend of looking at art very feasible. If you have any specific questions, feel free to message me.

I went to MICA undergrad, and loved Baltimore. It is a beautiful city, I lived in a mansion at one point for nothing. It used to be MICA graduates would run off to NY, Chicago or Philly but a lot of artists are staying and running spaces and doing other active things there. It is so close to DC, Philly and NY that you have lots of exposure to that too.

You need to be a little cautious there and keep your head up, but as long as you're not reckless or oblivious you will be fine. Just respect your community, look people in the eye, etc.

By the time I left I loved Baltimore, and felt ambivilant about MICA. don't be scared by Baltimore.

If you're looking at places to live, go north or south of campus, East and West Baltimore are more hardcore. Mt Vernon, Charles Village, Hampden. The area Between Hopkins and MICA

Thanks for the info, guys!  MICA was my top pick, largely because Baltimore is a really great location for me geographically (proximity to other large east coast cities, plus proximity to my family).  Honestly, moving to any city will be a culture shock for me (west virginia girl here) but I think once I get past that I will be fine.  I also talked to Chris Harring in the grad department about the city, and he too mentioned how it is really up and coming in regards to the arts.  Seems like a cool thing to be a part of!

Yeah it was for painting. I called again to see if they would tell me where I would be on the waitlist and the woman said they don't have a numbered waitlist. She said they probably won't know if I get accepted until April 20. 

April 20th! holy crap i may have to call them LOL! I have another school waiting on me. Maybe the email for me just diidn't get to me or something..I emailed but haven't gotten a response since Monday.

Sorry to hear you think your interview went terribly, Pingu123. Perhaps your being hard on yourself?

Goldsmiths rejected me weeks ago. I interviewed with GSA and thought it went terribly, but received an offer. Where else did you apply? And, to what program?

That's funny, I was rejected by GSA weeks ago! I don't know, there was a moment about half way through when I thought 'oh boy, there's no chance I'm getting this'. One of the interviewers seemed so uninterested.

I was very realistic heading into this whole thing though, it being my first year applying for mfas. Glad to have experienced an interview. And maybe I will receive an offer!

That's funny, I was rejected by GSA weeks ago! I don't know, there was a moment about half way through when I thought 'oh boy, there's no chance I'm getting this'. One of the interviewers seemed so uninterested.

I was very realistic heading into this whole thing though, it being my first year applying for mfas. Glad to have experienced an interview. And maybe I will receive an offer!

You feeling about your Goldsmiths interview is exactly how I felt during my GSA interview. My fingers are crossed for you!

PS were you at the Goldsmiths meeting in SoHo?

You feeling about your Goldsmiths interview is exactly how I felt during my GSA interview. My fingers are crossed for you!

PS were you at the Goldsmiths meeting in SoHo?

Thank you! No I'm actually in Ireland.

Edited by Pingu123

Hi guys! :)  Long time lurker here...for starters, i'll say that I've appreciated reading everyone's responses/opinions...very insightful!

Milkyways, how is your decision process going? I've been accepted to CMU and Northwestern as well....and i'm leaning towards CMU despite zero funding. I was just curious which program you were leaning towards? I keep hearing great things about CMU and that it's a "no brainer" and I should just choose to study there! I don't know what to think anymore.....freaking out here!!!

btw, congrats to everyone's acceptances !!!! 

Mintykid, for now Northwestern is winning the fight (I am still considering Cornell too), because honestly the money thing is a big deal for me as an international. Nevertheless, I know CMU seems like a better program ( more organized, has more graduate courses and more diverse teachers). But a third year of paying tuition and living would be too straining for my finances. I love the program,but I have to be smart and I would do it only if I see a clear advantage of attending the program in terms of career opportunities that could eventually help me repay the loans I'd have to take.

I've been trying to look for evidence of CMU alumni success but have found none... what have you heard about CMU? Why d you think it's a no-brainer?

If you are excited about CMU, and it offers good funding, then personally I think it might be a better deal to go than to wait another year and go through all this again not knowing if you can get in. Depends on what medium(s) you work with, CMU could be a amazing program. But of course this is a personal choice and depends on how much you like the school. I've heard a lot of good things about Pittsburg as well, which is great, but I would weight the fit of the program much higher than location. I would rather going to a school in the woods if I feel really connected and excited about the faculty and current students rather than going to a school in an exciting city while feeling the opposite when you're in the crit room. Have you look at some students' and alums' websites?

For me I'm leaning towards UCLA right now, simply because I know it is a better fit for me after looking at the faculty and student work.

I have the impression that CMU is an excellent program to become an artist of the expanded field. They seem to be very Pittsburgh-centered and I am starting to have the impression they're more focused on making academic artists.  So if you are a 100% into it, and would be willing to pay $30 000 for the experience, it's an easy choice. 

Called UC Santa Barbara today and was told I was not being offered admission at this time (what I was expecting), official emails should be out by the end of this week for anyone else on here waiting to hear from them! 

Mintykid, for now Northwestern is winning the fight (I am still considering Cornell too), because honestly the money thing is a big deal for me as an international. Nevertheless, I know CMU seems like a better program ( more organized, has more graduate courses and more diverse teachers). But a third year of paying tuition and living would be too straining for my finances. I love the program,but I have to be smart and I would do it only if I see a clear advantage of attending the program in terms of career opportunities that could eventually help me repay the loans I'd have to take.

I've been trying to look for evidence of CMU alumni success but have found none... what have you heard about CMU? Why d you think it's a no-brainer?

I have the impression that CMU is an excellent program to become an artist of the expanded field. They seem to be very Pittsburgh-centered and I am starting to have the impression they're more focused on making academic artists.  So if you are a 100% into it, and would be willing to pay $30 000 for the experience, it's an easy choice. 

I came across Shana Moulton who's from CMU and seems to be doing pretty well. Maybe you could look her up. I thing she's on art21 or something.

Other than that I'm still researching. In my impression a few of the alums have successfully landed full time teaching jobs, if that's something you're into.

All I'm saying is that if the playing field is somewhat level outside the top MFAs, then I'd almost rather go to school for free and get paid while getting a Masters like many of the people on here are doing.

Edited by Marchy

I came across Shana Moulton who's from CMU and seems to be doing pretty well. Maybe you could look her up. I thing she's on art21 or something.

Other than that I'm still researching. In my impression a few of the alums have successfully landed full time teaching jobs, if that's something you're into.

Good fact. She also has  Skowhegan and des ateliers in her resume, so I'm not sure how determinant CMU was in her case. 

Teaching is my ultimate objective, but I'd love to have a career before. Still weighing things up.

All I'm saying is that if the playing field is somewhat level outside the top MFAs, then I'd almost rather go to school for free and get paid while getting a Masters like many of the people on here are doing.

I think I may have gotten unlucky or I just didn't look throroughly enough for a stipend but I am wishing I had. lol.

Congrats Cecily.B!!

KSuverkrubbe you got into Boston w full tuition….that's really good! And looks like you were accepted to other great choices too…congrats!  

Thanks for your input! Absolutely, UCLA is an excellent choice that I wish I had (missed the New Genres deadline--booo). I love UCLA's program, the city, faculty and student work (and the obvious resume builder :)). Congrats on that! As far as CMU, yes I've been doing some heavy research. Considering that a contemporary art career (gallery representation, exhibiting internationally) is something I am interested in, the thing that makes the choice so difficult is that the work of faculty and recent grads seems mostly Pittsburgh-centered. Which leads me to have to agree with what Milkyways said about CMU producing more academic artists. There are a couple students who have been actively showing in the closest major city/NYC because they have hustled and done the grunt work themselves, not necessarily due to school's opportunities (I asked). NOT that the work of faculty isn't good, and not that there's anything wrong with doing great work in a city like P-burgh. I think in any program its good to put oneself out there and be ready to hustle, whether one's trajectory reaches beyond academic and into the "high art world" or the goal is a tenured teaching position. But let's admit, to play with the big boys, there's some politics involved. Not going to one of the hot 5 art schools means we need to work even harder to be seen. My recent work involves social practice & performance. But I don't want to limit my work to this--I work 3-D and 2-D as well. I prefer a program that strikes a balance (LIKE Columbia and UCLA) but among my choices, it comes down to CMU. MICA's a cool school and Bmore is awesome. But it means paying even more. SAIC is great on the resume, but 60K+ for 6 weeks of studio a year? Come on man. 

Just looked up hooray public's suggestion/ CMU alum Shana Moulton. Her success is encouraging. 

Thanks Marchy! To be precise, I'm not in UCLA's art department, but its neighboring design media arts, which focused more on the media and technology sides of contemporary art. I love their faculty and there are quite a few successful alums in the past. However I share the same concern with you that I don't want to limit my work to media- or technology-based. I'm looking for ways to sneak into the art department somehow... (anyone here in the forum going there? :ph34r: )

In terms of cmu, I think they have a strong emphasis on performance and social practice, judging from recent student work. So maybe you can easily find you niche there, while taking the advantage of it being interdisciplinary. For me it's their strength on new media that draws me there with Golan Levin as faculty.

Unfortunately I don't have any insider info on Baltimore, but I am in the same boat as you!  I'm highly considering my offer from MICA- Hoffberger, but I am also uneasy about living in Baltimore.  I know cost of living is relatively low for a bigger city, which is awesome.  There is a thread in the "City Guide" section of grad cafe about Baltimore, but it seems most of the people on there are John's Hopkins people.  My understanding is that JHU is in the same vicinity as MICA, so most of that info is probably pertinent to us.  But I'd love to hear if any MICA peeps have opinions/tips about the city!

The immediate area surrounding MICA is fine. Have some level of street smarts and you'll be fine.