MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Just declined the admissions offer to USC Roski, so a spot should be opening up for anyone who may be on the waitlist. 

have you decided ?

Edited by Milkyways

I may or may not be able to go but if I do I will definitely let you know. (The more research I do and the more people I speak to, I feel it's a YES for CMU.) 

Yes. I've been mailing the internationals and they all love it without reservations. 

have you decided ?

I think I'm going to reapply next year and be a little bit smarter about where I apply (this forum has been super helpful in that regard). Did you decide on Northwestern? If so, you should post on here next year about your experience. It's a program I'm very curious about!

Hey all. Plug for next year...

Just finished a visit with UMich. They paid for EVERYTHING- just to visit. The other funding opportunities are out of this world. Program is amazing and resources are next level shit in terms of faculty, new media, libraries, conference/residency/project funding and I'm very impressed with the work of current students. They really pulled out all the stops for accepted students. If you are interdisciplinary and a go-getter, this university is worth applying to. All students accepted this year (5 of us) are fully funded with material and travel stipend. We had lovely dinners with faculty and current grads while here.

If the school wants you, they will pay YOU to come study with them and pay for your entire visit; I cannot stress this enough. Today, outside curators said UM is competing with the top art schools/programs in the country and, while expectations are very high, they have a stupid amount of money to hand out. Research universities FTW.

This sounds awesome. Are they trying to set up themselves as a big art school? I feel like sometimes name ends up swallowing all the good art programs our that so that people miss out  on them and only know a few. I had to rely on the internet mostly , fellow students, and professors...

I noticed when i was looking it up that Boston University greatly reduces its College of Fine Arts program tuition (only 23,000 about a year!!!) and says that its the 'university's commitment to supporting the College of Fine Arts'. I also realized that they have a $10,000 dollar grant to students in each 3 of their programs....Basically it's a competitive grant for graduating master's students and one person in visual arts, one person in theater, and one person in music all get a grant. It seems very competitive however, but I was pretty amazed at that!

I

It's also interesting because in 2010 they hired this new dean who seems like he was a big deal in cultural affairs in Mexico..So a big deal kind of guy (though he's leaving his post now) that still tells me that they are also putting money into who they hire .

Maybe these universities are pumping a lot of money and resources into attracting students to try and compete for students and to make their programs more well known? It's interesting though..I can't really tell if this is just the normal thing for these programs, or if the universities are trying to build them up.

I'm between NU and reapplying next year. I've been emailing a few alumni and their opinion of the program is contradictory. Some like it, other say it has many "quirks". So I'm not entirely convinced. I wouldn't like accepting an offer halfheartedly only because it offers me good funding. But when  I think about having to wait another year  it's nauseating! Not really because I would have to  go through another application process (Once you've done it once you kind of get the hang of it), but simply the fact of having to postpone your plans another year, to have a second job and all that crap.

hey milkyways, I don't want to be nosey but I am interested in why you are thinking of reapplying when it seems you got good funding from a variety of places besides NU?

hey milkyways, I don't want to be nosey but I am interested in why you are thinking of reapplying when it seems you got good funding from a variety of places besides NU?

Some schools offered me very good funding, but it wasn't enough to pay for expenses and they were too secluded so it would have been hard for me to find a job to support myself. As an international I can't apply to loans here and the ones from my country have very specific requirements which I couldn't meet this year.

Assuming you mean Portland State U (not Penn) - During your GA, they offer partial tuition remission ($3000/term, 3 out of 6 terms over 2 years) and a small stipend. If you are from out of state, they also offer in-state tuition during your GA which is a significant difference. I assume these offerings are the same for everyone. I was also offered 2 scholarships from PSU. Total, it works out to be about 1 out of 2 years fully funded by PSU. I was lucky enough to receive an external scholarship to cover the other half. 

Yes that I mean Portland State.  Seems like a competitive program. Thats all very helpful info. Thanks!

Have you visited Rutgers yet? or NYU?

Have you spoken with faculty? or met with them?

Arrange to have a visit and spend a few hours with each. It might help you to make your decision.

Have you done research on the various faculty?

One is in a small city, and the other is in the middle of the village in Manhattan, very different in that respect. Have either offered you any financial support? NYC is very expensive and New Brunswick, not nearly so. Even though I think you are right to think primarily about the people at the programs and the quality of the programs themselves, you cannot discount the pragmatic aspects of attending the schools, or your own feelings about living in different types of places.

yes i have visited both...rutgers loved my work like crazy...i visited and found out that theres more painting aspect to it and thats what worries me a bit.......nyu..im up for it because i think the city itself will make a huge difference..and i dont know...but the candidates i met during the interview say that they are applying because of the star faculty?...i don't know but i think im more deviated towards nyu...

Anything new from NYU this week? I'm hoping for some good news, after all it is my 25th birthday on Saturday. Fingers crossed!

Fingers crossed 4 U NYU folks!

Edited by Marchy

Fingers crossed 4 U NYU folks!

Thanks Marchy!!!

nothing from NYU today.. idk should we call? but i think it wont make any difference tho.. sigh

I refuse to call anymore. It's the same answer every time. If they are just slow in the process I can't speed them up by calling. I'll just ride the wave for now.

Edited by tdevo412

Thanks Marchy!!!

I refuse to call anymore. It's the same answer every time. If they are just slow in the process I can't speed them up by calling. I'll just ride the wave for now.

yea.. i guess there is nothing we can do :( and it sucks

What would you do if you have a not very good school but in New York (The New York Academy) and that offers better scholarship (but not a full one), and MICA - more expensive and in Baltimore - to choose from? I have to make a decision in two days.. aaahhh!

What would you do if you have a not very good school but in New York (The New York Academy) and that offers better scholarship (but not a full one), and MICA - more expensive and in Baltimore - to choose from? I have to make a decision in two days.. aaahhh!

new york

i just got to know today...that they are still sending acceptances to the candidates... :) i mean the nyu

Hopefully tomorrow! If not, I'll be calling... hopefully they can tell me something. Even though I said I wouldn't call anymore... I just need to hear something from them. The stress of not knowing is killing me. 

new york

I would choose Baltimore.

I have a similar choice. I chose the one with better people to work with. I know that different people have different financial situations, and that sometimes better money must trump the better program, but for me the better program wins.

I have to choose between Hunter and Rutgers. Hunter is the better program, cheaper, and in New York, but I get zero funding. Rutgers is still a good program (or I would not have even applied) in New Brunswick (ugh), but they offered me amazing funding.

Despite that, I think I'm going to Hunter. If Hunter had been as expensive, however, as Columbia or Yale or whatever, I would go with Rutgers, but since it is relatively inexpensive, I'm choosing Hunter. I can make it work without funding.

I would choose Baltimore.

I have a similar choice. I chose the one with better people to work with. I know that different people have different financial situations, and that sometimes better money must trump the better program, but for me the better program wins.

I have to choose between Hunter and Rutgers. Hunter is the better program, cheaper, and in New York, but I get zero funding. Rutgers is still a good program (or I would not have even applied) in New Brunswick (ugh), but they offered me amazing funding.

Despite that, I think I'm going to Hunter. If Hunter had been as expensive, however, as Columbia or Yale or whatever, I would go with Rutgers, but since it is relatively inexpensive, I'm choosing Hunter. I can make it work without funding.

I got my funding details from Virginia Tech today. They offered me a great deal. It is a kind of an Art and Technology program which suits my goals and I love it. So I said I am attending. It is finally over!

Hope these days past as fast as possible and this waiting ends for u all, as well.

Edited by elinik

I would evaluate the difference in price and then take into account that interest will probably double whatever you'll pay. MICA is a very good school. Have you talked to both programs about how they support you in the year or two after you graduate?

Is it me, or has the application process been a long series of waiting for xyz. No matter when on this year's calendar I have been, there has always been something I am waiting to hear from the school about. At this point I don't know what I would do if I wasn't waiting for an email or phone call.