MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Hi Everyone, 

It's my first time through the process as well as on here. What helpful information. Not sure what's harder-- submitting to all those schools, or the wait. Congrats to All for making it through.

Hi Everyone, 

It's my first time through the process as well as on here. What helpful information. Not sure what's harder-- submitting to all those schools, or the wait. Congrats to All for making it through.

Marchy, Congrats! I was also accepted to the low-res program at SAIC. What is the Dean's Scholarship?

Hey I am new but I just heard that I got an interview at Bard Sculpture!!

Anyone heard from UCLA or NYU?

I think ppl already talked about this but I also got an interview at Yale this time last week.

Congrats to everyone getting good news from schools!

I think ppl already talked about this but I also got an interview at Yale this time last week.

Apparently NYU is in the process of everything. If any one has any more information on the timeline of things I'd appreciate it. Also anyone have info on funding offers from NYU/SVA?

Apparently NYU is in the process of everything. If any one has any more information on the timeline of things I'd appreciate it. Also anyone have info on funding offers from NYU/SVA?

Cool thanks! I'm not totally sure what "in the process of everything" means but I'm guessing they're reviewing but not contacting people yet?

So if I haven't heard back from tyler sculpture or bard sculpture should I take that as a rejection? Wish all of the schools would just send rejections at the same time as interview requests!

Did you get an email from Bard?

Is anyone taking a break from making new work while they wait?

Congrats to everyone who has received acceptances and notifications for interviews. For those of us who have received rejections and are waiting for some good news,

have you taken a break from working?

In light of the rejections,

are you thinking about retooling your work, or drastically taking a new approach once the do get back to art making?

Congrats to everyone who has received acceptances and notifications for interviews. For those of us who have received rejections and are waiting for some good news,

are you thinking about retooling your work, or drastically taking a new approach once the do get back to art making?

Also waiting... I haven't had any rejections.. but also no good news.

I feel like checking in here is like a moment of weakness... a bit like staring at a car crash lol

I have continued my work and feel much better during the wait while I am busy with it.

I do not plan to change anything about my work based on rejections, but would likely search for schools that might be a better fit next go round, or re-evaluate the context of the work and writing.  

Second time applying....the waiting still sucks in case you were wondering...

agreed.

Also waiting... I haven't had any rejections.. but also no good news.

I feel like checking in here is like a moment of weakness... a bit like staring at a car crash lol

I have continued my work and feel much better during the wait while I am busy with it.

I do not plan to change anything about my work based on rejections, but would likely search for schools that might be a better fit next go round, or re-evaluate the context of the work and writing.  

The first time I applied I was very anxiously checking this forum. It got so bad I decided not to check it everyday this time . I can't really focus on making anything now, I don't feel comfortable completing projects that were already outlined under this pressure. So what I am doing is reading, looking for residencies/exhibition calls and writing. 

For me, last year's rejections didn't really end in radically wanting to change my work. Instead, I think they gave me the opportunity to understand what I was doing in a much clearer way, and they actually helped me to confirm that I want to continue my life as an artist. 

agreed.

The first time I applied I was very anxiously checking this forum. It got so bad I decided not to check it everyday this time . I can't really focus on making anything now, I don't feel comfortable completing projects that were already outlined under this pressure. So what I am doing is reading, looking for residencies/exhibition calls and writing. 

For me, last year's rejections didn't really end in radically wanting to change my work. Instead, I think they gave me the opportunity to understand what I was doing in a much clearer way, and they actually helped me to confirm that I want to continue my life as an artist. 

I feel the same way. totally made me realize that I want to continue this career path. where did you apply this time around Milkyways (if you don't mind me asking) 

Always retool.  Progress is always good.

Definitely anything that challenges and pushes you in new directions is always good.  But I'd also say it might be worth learning as much as possible about the application process for anyone who ends up trying again in the future.  I feel as though the portfolio review day, and a couple of school visits were really helpful and essential for me in gauging what they're looking for in our portfolios and statements.  Sure some of it is about the work being 'good', but a lot of it is about having something that feels clear and cohesive and interesting to the review committee.  Art is so subjective that in many ways I don't even think they have to love what you're doing, so much as to be able to get what you're doing and why, and to see that you know why you're doing it.