MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Great - thanks! Hope your interview went well!

Does anyone know if they send actual rejection notifications or is it acceptance vs. silence I wonder?

Guess I'll have to stay current with the forum and see what comes up for other folks...

It went terribly, but thank you! Unfortunately, I don't know how they're going to let me know that I didn't get accepted. Haha. Good luck with the other schools you're applying to!

Oh that's a bummer about Irvine (except for those who got interviews - congrats!), but thanks for letting me know.

I wonder if it's worth reaching out to them? Walking the line between being patient and bombarding a program is rough for me, ha.

As far as PSU goes - I felt like the interview went really well. It was just with one faculty member and felt pretty casual in comparison to my interview with PNCA. I interviewed about two weeks ago though and they said they'd be in touch with actual offers soon. I'm not sure what soon means though. I know they usually only accept 5-7 students, which makes me nervous. 

Ian Whitmore told me they are aiming to have decisions out early to mid March, but it could be later. Last year it took them until MAY(!!!) to send out acceptances. He also told me they are aiming for 7 acceptances this year.  He said they changed the system to make it go smoother/faster this time around, but also given that they decided to interview a larger number of applicants, it's hard to say if they will be able to send them out as early as he anticipates. I hope so, because I need to give my decision to another school by March 16th. :-\ If i don't hear from PSU by around that date I am going to call and explain the situation, hopefully if they know one way or the other they'll be able to tell me upfront instead of waiting for a formal notice. 

I was planning on contacting UCI next week just to confirm my rejection, just kind of waiting to see if the formal letter comes in the post before I inquire with them. I have the same hesitation to contact them about it. I'm waiting for 2 schools that I haven't heard from at all. (The other is USC.)

Edited by onbeingblue

It went terribly, but thank you! Unfortunately, I don't know how they're going to let me know that I didn't get accepted. Haha. Good luck with the other schools you're applying to!

Sorry to hear that your interview didn't go well with UCI! But if it's any consolation, I had an interview that I thought didn't go very well and was accepted (1 of 10 people accepted) so you never know! If they like your work enough, it might outweigh a bad interview. Good luck!!

Edited by onbeingblue

Ian Whitmore told me they are aiming to have decisions out early to mid March, but it could be later. Last year it took them until MAY(!!!) to send out acceptances. He also told me they are aiming for 7 acceptances this year.  He said they changed the system to make it go smoother/faster this time around, but also given that they decided to interview a larger number of applicants, it's hard to say if they will be able to send them out as early as he anticipates. I hope so, because I need to give my decision to another school by March 16th. :-\ If i don't hear from PSU by around that date I am going to call and explain the situation, hopefully if they know one way or the other they'll be able to tell me upfront instead of waiting for a formal notice. 

I was planning on contacting UCI next week just to confirm my rejection, just kind of waiting to see if the formal letter comes in the post before I inquire with them. I have the same hesitation to contact them about it. I'm waiting for 2 schools that I haven't heard from at all. (The other is USC.)

Eeeeek - yeah, I hope the timeline works out for PSU vs. your other program. I think contacting them if it gets to be crunch time is totally reasonable. It's nice that they told you so much about the logistics of the application process. I'm just going to be patient I think....that being said May is too far away! I hope this year is a little different in that respect.

I think I'll wait for Irvine for now and keep my fingers crossed for the wait list or something. That might be over optimistic, but we'll see. I feel like that program was a bit of a reach for me, but I got super excited for the optional emphasis in feminist studies. I may have made too big a deal of that in comparison to the actual visual studies part. (I could over analyze for days!) Anyway - let's keep in touch about UCI! AND good luck with USC.

Oh that's a bummer - sorry! I always feel like things go worse on my end though. If you don't mind my asking, was it the style or content of the interview that wasn't great? And was it Skype? (I've only had phone interviews thus far which I feel like are way better than having to be seen - ha!)

Are there other programs you've had better luck with? 

Oh that's a bummer - sorry! I always feel like things go worse on my end though. If you don't mind my asking, was it the style or content of the interview that wasn't great? And was it Skype? (I've only had phone interviews thus far which I feel like are way better than having to be seen - ha!)

Are there other programs you've had better luck with? 

It was a Skype interview and that definitely was a factor. We got cut off halfway through, and there were technical issues throughout. On two occasions, they were asking each other questions about my work, but, because of the delay, I thought they were directing the questions to me, so that was awkward. I also asked a question that I think kind of offended them. In addition to all that, the interview started about 25 minutes late, and it was definitely rushed, as as they were doing their best to get back on track with their interview schedule. All in all, it just didn't feel like we were ever able to get into a real conversation. It's too bad because the four faculty who conducted the interview were definitely the four I was the most interested in talking to and, ideally, working with. Unfortunately, my gut tells me that's just not going to happen. 

Edited by dryheat

Literally just got the call from Ian with my acceptance to Portland State!

Kate_ho - if you're in, you'll hear from him today. Good luck!! 

I JUST GOT THE CALL TOO!

OMG - congrats to you, and maybe I'll see you there? 

How many people do Hunter take each year for MFA? My professor from college said it is quite a good program, does anyone have more insight of what the school has to offer?

How many people do Hunter take each year for MFA? My professor from college said it is quite a good program, does anyone have more insight of what the school has to offer?

I heard it's a very good program as well, but I've had a very hard time figuring that out from their website...anyone know of they have a laser cutter or fabrication studio?

I think I just bombed my skype interview with Parsons. I've never sounded like more of an blubbering tool.

Has anyone walked away from an interview yet who has thought they nailed it?

I've totally bombed interviews that somehow ended up with favorable results; and conversely, walked away thinking that I nailed it, and been rejected. The universe works in mysterious ways, don't fret.

I have been checking the search results on grad cafe like a bad habit - but JUST discovered this forum.

Seems like a lot of folks are applying to the top 10 / lots of east coast schools.

I'm waiting to hear back from U of Washington, UC Irvine, U of Montana, and Portland State U.

I've interviewed at Portland State, and PNCA.

Been accepted at MCAD, and PNCA thus far, but am holding out for a public school. Fingers crossed. 

Does anyone have any insight on the timeline for Irvine? 

U of Montana called me yesterday evening! Their director called me around 6pm my time so 4 there, I hope you heard too! 

U of Montana called me yesterday evening! Their director called me around 6pm my time so 4 there, I hope you heard too! 

I ended up talking to them this afternoon - yeah! I feel really good about the conversation I had with Brad Allen and am really excited at the potential to be officially accepted. I am going to have another conversation with them about funding next week. Was it the same kind of thing for you? Like basically a check in/recruitment call? 

I also noticed you got into Indiana U and wanted to say congratulations! I don't know how you're making your decision, but Tracy Templeton is an amazzzzzing printmaking professor out there (She used to work at Southern Oregon U, where I go now) and I'd HIGHLY recommend her. Just FYI. I've heard Bloomington has a pretty awesome print program. 

Email from Carnegie Mellon- rejection. ):

Looks like I'll be moving to the West Coast come fall!

Sorry about Carnegie-Mellon, but PNCA seems like a really cool school though! Which MFA program were you accepted into there?

Sorry about Carnegie-Mellon, but PNCA seems like a really cool school though! Which MFA program were you accepted into there?

Ha, thanks. No worries- CMU was my reach school anyways. I'm actually glad I'll end up in the NW, whether it be SFAI or PNCA- I've lived all over the US, but this'll be my first time there! I was accepted in to the Visual Studies program at PNCA. How about you?

I checked my application page again and it said at the top that they typically notify students of their decisions around the end of March. I’ve heard nothing at all from them so far.

I was interviewed earlier this month. It could depend on the department, or you could be wait-listed. Or they may be working their way down the list to interview! Whatever the reason may be, good luck!!

Any thoughts on reaching out to a program after an interview? I did the usual thank-you emails immediately following the interview, but now 1+ week later, I'm wondering if it would be appropriate to contact them again... or just wait some more.... kld;sajajkfdlsjaf; I just want to know alreadyyyy.

ps. Good luck to everyone who is interviewing with SAIC this weekend! :)

anyone have any thoughts on otis? i just got an acceptance email from them with a decent scholarship offer. Anyone else accepted/visited/going etc. It's kind of an interesting program without a lot of chatter about it.

I ended up talking to them this afternoon - yeah! I feel really good about the conversation I had with Brad Allen and am really excited at the potential to be officially accepted. I am going to have another conversation with them about funding next week. Was it the same kind of thing for you? Like basically a check in/recruitment call? 

I also noticed you got into Indiana U and wanted to say congratulations! I don't know how you're making your decision, but Tracy Templeton is an amazzzzzing printmaking professor out there (She used to work at Southern Oregon U, where I go now) and I'd HIGHLY recommend her. Just FYI. I've heard Bloomington has a pretty awesome print program. 

That is essentially what my discussion was as well! He told me the same thing about funding and we chatted a bit about SGCI.  We talked a little bit about the general opportunities for funding and stuff too. He did say that almost anyone who's interested can get funded opportunities like GAships and stuff, which is excellent. He was really nice and answered all my questions. 

Indiana University is pretty much my top choice! They're just figuring out funding and I'm also really, really interested in Tulane and working with Teresa Cole, so if I get into both I'll have a really hard decision to make. I met Tracy (as well as Ellie Honl and Brandon Gunn) at MAPC this year and they were sooooo awesome and I am really excited to work with them!! Thanks for the information too, it's always hard when you're meeting people at professional functions or in interviews because they're on their best behavior for recruiting reasons and stuff, so I'm glad she has a good rep beyond that (though I never would have suspected otherwise based on my experience with her!)