MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

My take: "alternate" is the term when you're first runner up for a super-small incoming class

"waitlist" is a larger group that may/may not have a numbered ranking

Oh that sounds a lot better than being a part of a larger group. lol. I guess I was wrong.I admit I don't know everything at all. I just went off the numbers that other people have said  they have had on the wating list on this forum.

The 'alternate' and 'you'll have to be reviewed again' made me think that the chances weren't really set in stone..

Though the chances being variable may actually be a good thing depending.

Edited by KSuverkrubbe

Oh that sounds a lot better than being a part of a larger group. lol. I guess I was wrong.I admit I don't know everything at all. I just went off the numbers that other people have said  they have had on the wating list on this forum.

The 'alternate' and 'you'll have to be reviewed again' made me think that the chances weren't really set in stone..

Though the chances being variable may actually be a good thing depending.

LittleBlueHouse, that was my perception. I would definitely go to MICA if I got in so I'm trying to pull out all the stops and really understand what my exact positioning is.

Regarding Hunter Spring admit, If you are going in at Spring term, maybe that could give you a chance to establish New York residency for in-state tution? I'd look into it! Congrats to everyone!

NYTreader thank you for your insight. I think it might not be a bad idea going in one semester later. Do you have any residency suggestions? Also... Maybe it sounds dumb, anyone also debating between Parsons and Hunter?

Oh to anyone that is interested in PAFA: I declined admission so I know they now have a scholarship/ grant for at least half the cost of the tuition. So if they act like they don't have any other funding  don't believe them ;p. I don't know if they revise financial aid packages depending on who declines?

Edited by KSuverkrubbe

Maybe they meant not art directed? I don't know my school isn't known for its art department either but it's leagues above what is usually around here which is why all these people from community colleges end up at my school. Here in Texas I am pretty sure the "University of Texas' system is the best option. i go to UT Tyler..so maybe it's not as small of a program?

We've had a portion of students go to big name schools but I don't think many people know about our program , especially in comparsion to UT Austin. We have a pretty good art program (if you work hard) .It is easy for some students to skate by , but I think that comes from not having as many options for enrollment (since it is smaller). If you take in a higher degree of applicants you can really weed people out. Maybe it's just the nature of that small BFA program that has them wary. I am not sure- because certainly from some bfa graduates having a bfa is not impressive...(I don't want to sound like a jerk but it is what it is)

Probably doesn't help that my degree says "BA Studio Art"  either.  They added the F two years after I graduated :(  Still, for a first generation college student to accidentally end up at a school with a kick ass art program, I'm pretty grateful.  Just pissed that after so many years of studying and working so hard, that the choice of school I made when I was 18 with little to no information at my disposal could be hindering me at this stage in the game.  

I know this is an older post  but yeah I think that Joan lady is the one that is primarily in charge of the painting department so if she doesn't like your work or think it is ready over other applicants  , it's pretty much no dice . I know it seems weird to me,but the impression that i got is that she is the big cahuna and the end all be all in that program. I don't think I like that in retrospect. Even if she seems very knowlegeable it makes me wary if there isn't more than one person in a department with the power to make decisions.

Maybe I am wrong though?

Joan does like me, and you if you made it to the alternate list.  She said really great things about my work the first time I met her in 2012, and in the portfolio review process this fall.  I ran with her advice and changed over half of my portfolio, but there are only 10 studios for incoming students, so I guess I didn't change enough to make the final cut.

You're right, though. She is the one that has complete, final say over who gets into the program.  After interviewing at SAIC and seeing the way their system is set up, I'm not sure if I'm into that or not. 

Baltimore is home for me, and getting into MICA would mean that I wouldn't have to uproot my life, so I am hoping that something opens up, but Chicago is amaaaazing... I hate that everything is still so up in the air.  

Looks like I'm going to Hunter! Yaaaaaay. :) So stoked because it was my first choice (assuming I got into all three programs). Congrats to others who have gotten accepted to Hunter, RISD, etc.!

So far:

Hunter - Accepted 3/20 for Spring 2016

Tyler/Temple - Rejected by mail in February

Columbia - *crickets* (probably rejected :/  )

Edited by cococo

NYTreader thank you for your insight. I think it might not be a bad idea going in one semester later. Do you have any residency suggestions? Also... Maybe it sounds dumb, anyone also debating between Parsons and Hunter?

If you google hunter residency if links you to the forms for applying as a new York resident. The most valuable thing is to find an address to have certain mail sent to. Also, you should start the process during the summer because the one year of residency has to be completed before the semester starts.

Looks like I'm going to Hunter! Yaaaaaay. :) So stoked because it was my first choice (assuming I got into all three programs). Congrats to others who have gotten accepted to Hunter, RISD, etc.!

So far:

Hunter - Accepted 3/20 for Spring 2016

Tyler/Temple - Rejected by mail in February

Columbia - *crickets* (probably rejected :/  )

Looks like I'm going to Hunter too! Congrats! =)

How did you guys find out you were wait-listed at RISD? Email, phone call, or mail? 

Did you interview with RISD? 

I got an email, but I messaged the dept. head a day before to see where I stood. I interviewed on the 3rd.

Hi, there!

Nowadays I'm really confused on my decision of which school to go to. I got my admission of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) and Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA). Both of them are amazing schools. I applied for SAIC's Visual Communication Design (VCD) program and MICA's Graphic Design program. 

SAIC has better location, ranks 2nd in art schools. But its VCD program only ranks 12th in United States and it gives me no scholarship.

MICA's location is not that perfect, ranks 4th in art schools. But its Graphic Design program is prestigious. It ranks 3rd! And it gives me great scholarship.

So I really have no ideas on which school to choose. It drives me nuts. So any ideas and advice, guys?

Looking forward to your kind reply.

Joan does like me, and you if you made it to the alternate list.  She said really great things about my work the first time I met her in 2012, and in the portfolio review process this fall.  I ran with her advice and changed over half of my portfolio, but there are only 10 studios for incoming students, so I guess I didn't change enough to make the final cut.

You're right, though. She is the one that has complete, final say over who gets into the program.  After interviewing at SAIC and seeing the way their system is set up, I'm not sure if I'm into that or not. 

Baltimore is home for me, and getting into MICA would mean that I wouldn't have to uproot my life, so I am hoping that something opens up, but Chicago is amaaaazing... I hate that everything is still so up in the air.  

Yeah she was very helpful in her advice that I wasn't ready and I really respected her honesty. I just think that with other people deciding it means there is more variety in opinion (which can both lessen and heighten your chances). I did say that she either doesn't like the people's work  she doesn't accept or she just doesnt' believe they are quite ready for her program despite liking their work. Of course that's how anyone really decides which applicants get in or not. I just like the idea of having more opinions, because even based on my BFA program, those opinions amongst different people can vary widely..Of course a wider variety of deciders didn't really help me at Rutgers and VCU so maybe the difference isn't that big !

I think she would really be able to whip any artists into shape though! I have confidence in her abilities.

Edited by KSuverkrubbe

Probably doesn't help that my degree says "BA Studio Art"  either.  They added the F two years after I graduated :(  Still, for a first generation college student to accidentally end up at a school with a kick ass art program, I'm pretty grateful.  Just pissed that after so many years of studying and working so hard, that the choice of school I made when I was 18 with little to no information at my disposal could be hindering me at this stage in the game.  

Yeah I am very thankful for the program I have been a part of...But truthfully, I think the BFA hardly matters becuse the quality of the work fluctuates so widely among students  that it's almost rendered useless to a school looking at your art work.

But maybe that could still hinder someone to just have a BA?

I am going to be posting a 'RISD pleaseeee tell me ' post until they do lol.

Also to everyone that is an alternate at MICA good luck and to all the others that are waitlisted elsewhere!!!

EEEE This is soooo anxiety inducing haha.

Hi, there!

Nowadays I'm really confused on my decision of which school to go to. I got my admission of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) and Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA). Both of them are amazing schools. I applied for SAIC's Visual Communication Design (VCD) program and MICA's Graphic Design program. 

SAIC has better location, ranks 2nd in art schools. But its VCD program only ranks 12th in United States and it gives me no scholarship.

MICA's location is not that perfect, ranks 4th in art schools. But its Graphic Design program is prestigious. It ranks 3rd! And it gives me great scholarship.

So I really have no ideas on which school to choose. It drives me nuts. So any ideas and advice, guys?

Honestly I would chose MICA without thinking too much. There's not really a big significance to the fact one ranks second and another ranks fourth. Maybe if it were 3rd and 44th it would be worth weighing. They're both prestigious if that is what you're worried about. And MICA gives you money... Location would be crucial only if you intend to find a job while studying or are personally attached to the city (spouse, family).

Hi, there!

Baltimore has been noted as one of the most amazing up and coming and under the radar art scenes. It's gritty but happening, and close to NY ($20 Bolt Bus, yay). And it's rare for MICA to offer such funding. If it were me I'd probably go with MICA, knowing the city.  :)

Awesome, congraulations to you too! :D

Are you going in fall or spring?

I'm going Fall. What about you? There's a new thread dedicated to those who are going to Hunter. We take this there? =D