MFA 2015 All Art ADMISSIONS freak-out forum!!!!!!!!

Xxanderr

Hi, there!

Nowadays I'm really confused on my decision of which school to go to. I got my admission of the School of the Art Institute of Chicago (SAIC) and Maryland Institute College of Art (MICA). Both of them are amazing schools. I applied for SAIC's Visual Communication Design (VCD) program and MICA's Graphic Design program. 

SAIC has better location, ranks 2nd in art schools. But its VCD program only ranks 12th in United States and it gives me no scholarship.

MICA's location is not that perfect, ranks 4th in art schools. But its Graphic Design program is prestigious. It ranks 3rd! And it gives me great scholarship.

So I really have no ideas on which school to choose. It drives me nuts. So any ideas and advice, guys?

Looking forward to your kind reply.

If I were you, I'd have to go with MICA.  Usually they're kinda stingy with funds, so it's pretty awesome that you got a nice scholarship there. Baltimore has its quirks, but it's affordable, and within driving distance of DC, Philly, and NYC, which are obviously huge art markets. The location, while not Chicago, is actually pretty great considering you're so close to all of those other major cities. Also we have crab cakes.  If you're into that. #marylandrules

has anyone not heard from hunter yet? i interviewed on 14th march and i just got a mail that the descision will be given in a week.i see some of you have already been accepted

also what do you guys think about rutgers?...its ecexposure and faculties?

has anyone not heard from hunter yet? i interviewed on 14th march and i just got a mail that the descision will be given in a week.i see some of you have already been accepted

also what do you guys think about rutgers?...its ecexposure and faculties?

hey kingdom92

i have not heard from hunter either. so i assume we ll hear them next week but prob it will be a rejection

What sort of fin aid/funding has SAIC offered folks (excluding those lucky ducks with the one full ride per dept)?

SAIC offered me 1/3 tuition, but since it's low-residency, as awesome as the program will be and Chi-town will be in the 6-week summer program, Idk if I can bring myself to pay that much for that little amount of school experience. 

hi yestoyeahhhh

when did you have your interview?

mine was on 14th march....i think the others who got accepted had their interview at an earlier date.aah maybe we still have a chance.

HI Kingdom92

mine was on 13th march. hunter only accepts about 20-30 mfa students each yr i guess? and there are about 15 ppl on this forum who already got accepted.. so i assume they sent out the acceptance at the same time, and ppl who havent heard from them will get rejected.. but hopefully im wrong.. im nervous and curious too. maybe we can call hunter on monday and see whats going on :)

If you google hunter residency if links you to the forms for applying as a new York resident. The most valuable thing is to find an address to have certain mail sent to. Also, you should start the process during the summer because the one year of residency has to be completed before the semester starts.

Hi TEM33056, thank you for letting me know the residency... Although I am in fact an international student currently living in Jersey City... I guess this isn't the residency for me:( do you have any other thoughts?

Also... Disregarding tuition issues, would you pick parsons or Hunter?

Would have loved to have been accepted to Washington.  Got waitlisted, but I was so close. Im probably going to commit to ASU this week.  Im super excited to head out west to study there.  Anybody else going to ASU?

HI Kingdom92

mine was on 13th march. hunter only accepts about 20-30 mfa students each yr i guess? and there are about 15 ppl on this forum who already got accepted.. so i assume they sent out the acceptance at the same time, and ppl who havent heard from them will get rejected.. but hopefully im wrong.. im nervous and curious too. maybe we can call hunter on monday and see whats going on :)

Yestoyeahhhh at the interview I was told that hunter accepts 48 in total 24 in the Fall and 24 in the Spring. I think the best way to think about it is that you don't know yet what their decision is, so expecting rejection may not be fair to you. I have not heard of anyone being wait listed from there, and I am sure there are people that may turn them down for Yale etc.

Hi TEM33056, thank you for letting me know the residency... Although I am in fact an international student currently living in Jersey City... I guess this isn't the residency for me:( do you have any other thoughts?

Also... Disregarding tuition issues, would you pick parsons or Hunter?

Being international may be tough when it comes to residency and lack of financial aid, but I'm sure they don't expect you to write a check on the spot.

Parsons is more expensive but you said to disregard tuition. They are both in NY but hunter is listed higher on INDEED. Being that you are a painter I think I would go with hunter because they are stronger as a painting program than as an overall art school.

Yestoyeahhhh at the interview I was told that hunter accepts 48 in total 24 in the Fall and 24 in the Spring. I think the best way to think about it is that you don't know yet what their decision is, so expecting rejection may not be fair to you. I have not heard of anyone being wait listed from there, and I am sure there are people that may turn them down for Yale etc.

Being international may be tough when it comes to residency and lack of financial aid, but I'm sure they don't expect you to write a check on the spot.

Parsons is more expensive but you said to disregard tuition. They are both in NY but hunter is listed higher on INDEED. Being that you are a painter I think I would go with hunter because they are stronger as a painting program than as an overall art school.

hi tem33056

idk... i think im just freaking out you know.. but i hope to hear from them soon. either its or rejection or acceptance.. i just wanna know it ASAP haha

same here. im dying to know... ;(

This is probably an obvious suggestion, but have you checked your application status at the applyyourself website that the application was submitted to? When I got the e-mail from Hunter, it just said that my acceptance status was on that site (it was a link at the bottom of a page). I hope all of you got in though!!! Best of luck. :)

Edited by cococo

So I got into saic but got waitlised at risd. SAIC wants a deposit by April 15th, and RISD wants theirs by April 21st (so if I were to get in, I wouldn't know until after. Any advice on what to do in this situation?

This is probably an obvious suggestion, but have you checked your application status at the applyyourself website that the application was submitted to? When I got the e-mail from Hunter, it just said that my acceptance status was on that site (it was a link at the bottom of a page). I hope all of you got in though!!! Best of luck. :)

hi cococo,

thanks for the reply. I checked applyyourself, and it says "submitted".

I dont know what that means.. ;( frustrated mehhh

So I got into saic but got waitlised at risd. SAIC wants a deposit by April 15th, and RISD wants theirs by April 21st (so if I were to get in, I wouldn't know until after. Any advice on what to do in this situation?

Derpderpderp, I think it is fairly standard that people are making decisions until April 15th, so I can imagine gently pushing back regarding the deposit date. Maybe ask for May 1st?

hi cococo,

thanks for the reply. I checked applyyourself, and it says "submitted".

I dont know what that means.. ;( frustrated mehhh

Yeah, mine says that too. The decision status will appear at the bottom. My page is laid out like :

APPLICATION STATUS: SUBMITTED

And then some subheadings about recommendations, transcripts, etc.

And then under the last subheading for "Other Supporting Documents" there will be another bolded heading in capital letters saying "DECISION STATUS:" and it will have a link. At least that is how it looks for me. I'm sure all of you would have noticed that though. :/ I'm sorry this has been so frustrating! Best of luck, friend. :)

Edited by cococo

Yeah, mine says that too. The decision status will appear at the bottom. My page is laid out like :

And then under the last subheading for "Other Supporting Documents" there will be another bolded heading in capital letters saying "DECISION STATUS:" and it will have a link. At least that is how it looks for me. I'm sure all of you would have noticed that though. :/ I'm sorry this has been so frustrating! Best of luck, friend. :)

hi cococo

awww, thanks for ur sweet reply. it is strange that there is nothing under "other supporting documents". lol

i just emailed grad admission and hopefully they will response soon. 

THANK YOU again for ur sweet notes. 

appreciated:)

Czarina, when you applied for the second year, did you reapply to any of the same places you got into the first time around? I'm wondering the etiquette for getting in to a school, turning down the offer this year and reapplying to same school next time. I'm just weighing out all my options! :)

yes...but we do not have the link yet....also the email they sent said the decision will be given after a week....and that we may check in applyurslf once the descision has been made.....